A Black Beauty Reborn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > A Black Beauty Reborn

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A Black Beauty Reborn

I have inherited my Father's 1956 Chevrolet 210 two-door hardtop. This thread will share with JeepForum its journey back from still life to thrill life. First, a little history...

Dad bought the car in 1956 brand new off the showroom floor. He liked the 210 trim package better than the Bel-Aire. He also wanted the Power pack option, which gave the little 265 Cubic Inch V8 a four-barrel carb and duel exhaust to go with the three-on-the-tree manual transmission. He ordered his car in solid black paint. Some cars are built on "hangover" Monday, some on "gotta get off work, it's" Friday. This must have been a Wednesday car. Or maybe all the parts just happened to match right and the engine was balanced perfectly. Or maybe my Dad was just a hell of a driver. He has a trophy from 1956 when this car was the fastest stock car in Los Angeles County in the 1/4 drag race. My uncle said it was weird, that little 265 CI would beat a 57' Chevy with the more powerful 4-barrel 283 CI engine every time.

Dad cruised in the car, was a member of the Drifters Car Club, street-raced in this car, drove his best friend to his wedding at 110 MPH across the California desert to Las Vegas in this car (his friend's fiancé asked Dad to slow down when they were getting air born on the road's "hips and hollers" ). A year or so later he met my Mom, got married, started a family. My very first memories are from this car--- I remember the "fire-breathing dragon" from the James Bond movie Dr. No.

Dad had taken Mom and I to the drive-in. I was two years old.

A brother arrives. Dad takes out the back seat, and builds a full width bed that reaches from the trunk to the front bench seat, and Mom upholstered it to match the seat. My brother and I remember playing back there, and napping back there on long trips. Yeah, this was way before mandatory child safety seats.

My sister arrives, and Mom decided she wasn't going to raise her family in smoggy L.A. We move to Northern California, and Dad takes up racing at the local 1/4 oval track. he and his cousin race another Chevy they stripped and built into a race car. It needed a carburetor, so Dad parked his car in the garage, took the carb and battery to the race car, and had a blast for several years.

Another brother arrived, and life got more expensive with four kids. The money to get his old Chevy back on the road took second priority to giving us kids what we needed. For one reason or another, year after year, decade after decade, the car took a back seat. What was a simple part replacement became a needed full restoration. Life moved on, Dad retired, and he and Mom set out to see the world they missed while raising us kids. They toured the Western USA and Canada in their motor home, while the car still waited for Dad to restore it. Another decade rolls by...

Mom passed away recently, and Dad is no longer strong enough to restore the car himself. He wants me to take over now.

So much for the long intro. Here's the old gal as she looks today:

Compared to today's cars, there not a lot of stuff under the hood. Emissions equipment? What's that?

Good thing the intake has been covered all these years.

The interior is in really good shape, considering.

And the headliner still looks like new.

A little surface rust on the trunk floor, but not too bad. And there's the missing air cleaner!

Steering by armstrong, braking by stomp. No A/C, no FM, no power windows, no GPS, no seat belts. What's not to love?

So there she is. First step, I bug bombed Dad's garage to kill 45 years of black widows. Next up is removing all my woodworking tools from my garage. Then insurance.... *BEFORE* I tow the car to its new home, and give the cylinders a few shots of Kriol over several days. Find and rebuild an old carb. Drain and replace all fluids. Make a gravity feed gas tank. See if I can get her motor to run again.

Then a new gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines, plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap, tires, etc. Lube the chassis, and check her running gear and suspension.

Then take her for a drive.

It won't be done overnight, and it won't be done fast. I have two girls to put through school, so a full restoration will take a while. But I hope to have her running in time for some summer cruising. So get in, sit down, and hang on.... it's gunna be a fun ride.

This is for you, Dad.

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a shot of the back of Dad's Car Club jacket. A Google search shows this name for a few car clubs, but none in the Los Angeles area that date all the way back to the 1950's. Anybody know anybody else who is/was a member? I’d love to hook Dad up with some old memories again.

And here is the Car Club emblem that each member would hang from his bumper.

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks nice. The headliner is the last thing I thought that would be in good shape after all these years. Most would be ripped or sagged. Restoring classic cars are fun as heck I restored a 66 dodge dart back in HS. I sold it unfortunately when I transitioned from the classic car world to the jeep world.
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Awesome project! Good luck, can't wait to see the build.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just love those old chevys. They just don't make things like that anymore.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
That1guy
2007 WK 

Sounds like an awesome project. Get it done while your dad can still enjoy it.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
Sounds like an awesome project. Get it done while your dad can still enjoy it.
That's the plan. Hope to have him twist a wrench or two during the process, then give him a cruise to the local old car hang out on a Friday night. It's not Bob's Big Boy, but it's close.

BTW... I remember Dad taking us to the *original* Bob's Big Boy way back in the day in this car. Great burgers, and a malt to die for!
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
bobjp

Great story, awesome car. I think it would be cool to drive as it is, just the way your dad left it.

You should submit your story here:
http://carsinbarns.com/
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool story and hope you get it done for some more father & son bonding. I'll be following this.
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Subbed!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool!
Looking foward to updates!
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
silverstonemkiv
1998 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
silverstonemkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I bet it will clean up really good with just a little work. I wouldn't restore I would just drive it and enjoy it, plus cars are only original once.

It's amazing that your father kept that car that long I hope you can keep it a long time and pass it down too.

When did you dad put the buick rallies on it? That would be the only thing I would consider changing.
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those are "roller" tires and wheels. Had to put on some cheapos to roll it out of the garage.
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd love to be able to do something like this if I could find one of my dad's old muscle cars. Good luck!

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.