best long-term pain relief for tooth ache? (advil, excedrin, tylenol?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > best long-term pain relief for tooth ache? (advil, excedrin, tylenol?)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

best long-term pain relief for tooth ache? (advil, excedrin, tylenol?)

My wisdom teeth have been coming in for a while and in the last two days my gum starting swelling and they are hurting like hell. This is of course happening as I am going on a 7 day cruise in 2 days. Anyways, I went to the dentist and he's putting me on penicillin, and said I could also take something for pain relief, but wondering what the best bet is. Ibuprofen doesn't work that well for me but can anything recommend anything that is good for long-term pain relief such as a tooth ache like this? I picked up some anbesol, but would rather take a pill.
Thanks

BigOrangeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeXJ
My wisdom teeth have been coming in for a while and in the last two days my gum starting swelling and they are hurting like hell. This is of course happening as I am going on a 7 day cruise in 2 days. Anyways, I went to the dentist and he's putting me on penicillin, and said I could also take something for pain relief, but wondering what the best bet is. Ibuprofen doesn't work that well for me but can anything recommend anything that is good for long-term pain relief such as a tooth ache like this? I picked up some anbesol, but would rather take a pill.
Thanks
It's going to be up to your particular response to pain medication.

Aspirin x 2 tablets works best for me and that other stuff, ibuprofen, motrin, and what not is totally ineffective.

Vicodin and Vicodin ES are non effective as well. Less effective than aspirin.

For serious pain the only thing in pill form that works is triple doses of Percoset which I would not recommend to anyone.

As far as Anbesol goes, the Rite-aid generic version seems to work just a tad better for some reason even though the percentages of active ingredients are supposedly the same.

Take whatever you normally do for a headache that works and stick with it.
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
nj666z

Suck it up!

And here is why I say that. Cruise = drinkfest. If you plan on drinking alcohol, and I suspect you do, antibiotics won't do you any good. If you are on painkillers or the like, you shouldn't be drinking alcohol with them. So suck it up, b/c that's the only way you will be able to enjoy your cruise by keeping the meds out of your system. Just drink enough to forget about the pain and repeat; otherwise, the meds will have you sober and miserable for the vacation!
nj666z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Topical stuff (anbesol) works better for me than anything in pill form.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Little Lisa
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say stick with the topical stuff as well. As nj666z said, alcohol decreases the effectiveness of antibiotics. Also, avoid Tylenol (or anything containing Acetaminophen) because if combined with alcohol it's really bad for your liver. You might not care now, but that organ could come in handy later in life.
Blue Jeep Club Member #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBowie View Post
Lady Jeepers are hotter than mortal women, but perhaps a bit less pinkish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCHIAN78 View Post
Whats wrong with stock jeeps? Id rather have a stock jeep than a modded H2. :D:laugh:
Little Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
firefighter1

Had a dentist yell at me one time for using anbesol--claims it's bad for the enamel and your gums. Very short term use at best
firefighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like Motrin for pain relief.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
ronprice

alternate motrin and advil. They claim it is best to not take motrin for extended periods. buy rotating betwen the to is best.
Unread 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Alleve is what my dentists recommends. It works 100x better then Advil. It is strong stuff so if your Kidney's start to hurt you need to back off of it.
Unread 12-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Aspirin works best for me too and helps reduce swelling. Sometimes ibuprofin works and in the case of my root canals the tylenol 3 with codeine was nice too. HTH
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Dr. Righteous
1994 ZJ 

Try the CASTAWAY method.
'04 Durango Limited (the wife mobile)
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (Resto MoPar)
Dr. Righteous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
wildlove

You could use crushed cloves.... Yes I know it sounds crazy.. but my husband is a dentist. They sell this in any store.... in the spice area...just place it one the tooth or teeth and let it hang out for a bit....
It will probably make everything taste funny for a bit, but I think it will help.
wildlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
Conundrum

Easy solution:

Get them pulled!
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
nj666z

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum1984
Easy solution:

Get them pulled!
Problem with that is he is on vacation for the next week in less then 2 days now. Would you want to be on vacation after wisdom tooth extraction? Although some rebound quickly, most take a few days, and then you are on antibiotics for a week, which means he can't drink and his vacation will be ruined and he'd be out c. $1000 from his now horrible vacation from getting them pulled. His only chance at saving his vacation is sucking it up and drinking the pain away.

Screw the Advil or Aleve, run with 3 hits of rum and 3 of vodka vodka and you'll forget all about that pain! Doctor's orders. It will just suck if you are infected and it climaxes when you are away. Then you will be getting surgery in some third world country? Just make sure with your dentist that you aren't infected now and and discomfort you might have is from the teeth breaking through the gums and take my advice.

Have fun!
nj666z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
94 greenmachine

Best thing to do would be to get them pulled.Especially if your gum or jaw is swollen.Usually means impacted and from there they are likely to get infected.That being said the only otc meds would be aleve for longer term and tylenol every 4 to 6 hours in between. Unless of course you have a DR. or dentist that will write a script for something stronger. Good luck. You could also do ice packs. In the short term I guess you could try anbesol and take your chances. If swelling gets worse or pain gets to be enough I am sure you will end up doing what needs to be done. If you like your liver and kidneys take only the amount of tylenol and advil that is recommended.
94 greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.