Best Brand of AR-15's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Best Brand of AR-15's?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Bushmaster, and a Colt. I am planning on building my own .308 AR15 down the road. My buddy has one, and it's a bad *****.

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
CJATE

i'm compiling a parts list for an AR-10, w/ 22 kit. I feel the .308 is less limited then the 223. but we got hogs bad, and that's what it's for

I don't care to much about cutting paper with a rifle, would rather shoot skeet if I just need to make noise.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
Indy

I'd agree with the AR10 for bigger calibers. I think the 15 is going to be limited at .243wssm, unless you go with a baewulf (whatever) upper. Or you want to go plain silly with a BMG upper, but a single shot BMG isn't really an AR anymore. My little guy is doing coyote duty now, no more people duty since I resigned from LE. It might do some close range pig if I ever get down to texas to hunt.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

I really like my new Ruger SR 556 it is definetly one of the most accurate M4 configurations I have shot.I have shot sevral 1/2 moa groups with it.Plus I like the piston gas system it uses.It runs cleaner and cooler that a standard gas tube gun.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
You like your CMMG as well? I like how for the most part their components and complete rifles are clean and simple. I'm not one for every tactical flashlight and a rail on every angle/corner.

What upper receiver did you use?
One has a CMMG 16" carbine the other has a CMMG 16" mid length. Both barrels are chrome lined 1/7s and both are flat tops w/removable carry handles . The carbine is wearing Magpul Moe furniture in OD, looks and feels pretty good. The middy has a Magpul CTR stock and milspec handguards while I wait for the opportunity to put a rail on it.

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

Anyone tried the Para-Ordance TTR
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
Dcomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I'd agree with the AR10 for bigger calibers. I think the 15 is going to be limited at .243wssm, unless you go with a baewulf (whatever) upper. Or you want to go plain silly with a BMG upper, but a single shot BMG isn't really an AR anymore. My little guy is doing coyote duty now, no more people duty since I resigned from LE. It might do some close range pig if I ever get down to texas to hunt.

Currently available to fit AR15 lower, there are probably more:

AR-15, without bolt modification
.17 Remington
.17/223
.20 Tactical
.20 Practical
.20 Vartag
.204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
.223 Remington Ackley Improved
6x45mm
6mm TCU
6x47mm
6mm Whisper
.25x45mm
6.5mm Whisper
7mm Whisper
7mm TCU
.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
.338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
223 WSSM
5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
243 WSSM
6mm PPC
6mm WOA
6mm BR Remington
6mm Hagar
6.5mm PPC
6.5 WSSM
6.5 WOA
6.5mm Grendel
25 WSSM
6.8x43mm SPC
.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
7.62x25
7.62x39mm
.30 RAR
300 OSSM
.357 Auto
.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
.458 SOCOM
.50 Action Express
.50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation
.17 HMR
.22 LR
.22 WMR
9x19mm
9x21
9x23
30 Carbine
357 Sig
40S&W
400 Cor-Bon
41 Action Express
10mm Auto
45 GAP
45ACP
45 Super
45 Win Mag
Dcomf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The new Sig 516 is looking like one hell of a piston driven AR for the money. Their test mule went 9999/10000 in reliability testing and American Rifleman's tester produced about 1.25" groups. MSRP is $1300 but street price will probably be more like $1150 after the initial excitement settles.

CDNN investments has a huge selection of CMMG and S&W ARs right now for very good prices. Both quality brands. The consensus seems to be that Colt, Noveske, and LMT are the top of the AR heap but there are few bad AR makers out there.

I had a Colt and sold it for various reasons. I built my own AR with a Del-Ton kit and an AeroPrecision lower. Mine cost me less with a holographic sight, permanently attached vortex flash hider (14.5" barrel), flip sight gas block, and quad rail than the Colt cost plain and bare. My Del-Ton groups tighter and has gone through 600 rds without hiccup. Am I saying the Del-Ton is better than the Colt? No. One rifle grouping better than one other is not evidence of anything. The Colt went through 400 rds, also without hiccup. But I prefer the Del-Ton because I made it just how I wanted it and the price was right.

Whatever AR you buy use quality mags. Nothing will kill reliability quicker. I was fond of the HK mags but after using Magpul Pmags I am convinced the HKs are just overpriced. The magpuls are lighter, tougher, and equally, if not more, reliable. And they're cheap too!

The Colt did not infect me with BRD (Black Rifle Disease) but building my own has. My next moves are a .22 conversion for my rifle and a 6.5 Grendel build.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

To the OP:

What do you want to do with your AR? Do you want to shoot in competitions, or shoot coyotes/prairie dogs at long range(300 yards)? Do you just want to take it to the range and shoot paper at 100 yards? Do you want to have an AR to just for the fun of having an AR and accessorizing?

While Colt IMHO makes one heck of a gun, with an amazing reputation for my purposes I ended up getting a milspec 5.56 AR from a local company that manufactures them about 1.5hrs away. Now I'm sure everyone at http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3 would heckle me for buying something other than a colt, but it serves me just fine. I primarily shoot paper, and use it for ocasional coyote control. That's also why I opted for the 5.56 as the .308 is a little overkill IMO for what I needed. If I had the money would I buy a colt, sure, but I have enough expensive hobies as it is. I'd also have about 5 AR's in every caliber you coul imagine....
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #25
supersteez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to add one vote to the Build your own suggestions.

If you take your time and go to a reputable shop, you will almost always end up with more for less/same by going this route. They'll help steer you in the right direction, and you can build it up exactly how you want it to function.
supersteez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #26
kittyhawk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Build Build Build...............Get a Lower any lower will do. Mega, Stag, CMMG, Charles Daly, S&W they are all great lowers. Go on over to Bravo Co.com and look at some uppers. For a 16" upper you cannot go wrong with a Mid length upper thay dont have the Over gassed problem and it has a longer site radius. You can build a nice AR for under $1000.
With a build you learn the gun kind of like wrenching on a jeep the more you do the better you get.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
kittyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiksroks View Post
One has a CMMG 16" carbine the other has a CMMG 16" mid length. Both barrels are chrome lined 1/7s and both are flat tops w/removable carry handles . The carbine is wearing Magpul Moe furniture in OD, looks and feels pretty good. The middy has a Magpul CTR stock and milspec handguards while I wait for the opportunity to put a rail on it.
Mine is the CMMG 16 carbine. I have a flip up site on the rear for now as I try out some optics later on this month (some LEO friends have a few) I have the CMMG lower kit and lower stripped receiver. Last I saw it mine had the Magpul furniture as well, but I left it at my buddies place and he as going to super secret squirrel it for me to see if I wanted something different.
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
Indy

Don't go tooooo secret squirrel on it.

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

hahahah my point exactly, no nothing too secret squirrel no, target GPS location transponders, or underwater basket weaving tools hidden in the pistol grip.... Just a little tinkering with.
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

exactly what I want
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.