Best Brand of AR-15's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Best Brand of AR-15's?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 01-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Best Brand of AR-15's?

I am going to be purchasing an AR-15 with my tax return, which is the best brand to get? And which brands should I avoid??

PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Build your own, I like CMMG....

If i had to buy an out the box AR-15 style Firearm, it would be a COLT. Not flash by any means in comparison to all the Rambo type guns all the other companies are making, but it works and has for decades. All my law enforcement friends can't say enough good things about an out the box COLT and how it'll beat any secret squirrel custom rifle. Alas I live in California where just the name makes it damn near impossible to get your hands on one. (who ever though listing manufactures for a ban was a good idea?)
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i would say colt too, thats what we got
"my jeep burns the gas your prius saves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Leather makes me sweat like Kanye West at a David Allan Coe concert...

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
jeepster425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Stag Arms makes a good Ar. If you want cheap and decent, check out
Model1sales.com. DPMS makes a decent gun as well as Bushmaster. I am building one with a Charles Daly receiver and DPMS parts.

Also, what are you wanting it chambered in? .223, 5.56, .308, .50???
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Branding really doesnt matter 'that much' as long as everything is MIL-SPEC. If it isnt MIL-SPEC dont bother buying it. Basically 3 companies make the parts anyway and the just sell them out to companies to put their name on them.

X2 on building your own! Ive built 2 now, and its the best way to go. Its generally cheaper, and you get exactly what you want on it, not someone elses build.
[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club- Tail# JF064NG[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
ANGJetMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjislander View Post
Stag Arms makes a good Ar. If you want cheap and decent, check out
Model1sales.com. DPMS makes a decent gun as well as Bushmaster. I am building one with a Charles Daly receiver and DPMS parts.

Also, what are you wanting it chambered in? .223, 5.56, .308, .50???
.223 is what i'm going to go with.
PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBULL1967 View Post
.223 is what i'm going to go with.
Yes, this is nit picky, .223 and 5.56 are basically the same thing, but get a 5.56. 5.56 can shoot both rounds, .223s can only shoot .223 (safely). The 5.56 is a NATO round which will shoot at a higher pressure. A 5.56 will allow you to shoot surplus ammo along with civilian ammo, but be sure to get a heavier buffer if you go with 5.56.
[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club- Tail# JF064NG[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
ANGJetMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There's a million answers to this question. Read this:
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

If you don't want to read that, just don't buy an Olympic arms.

Get a CMMG, S&W, Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Colt, RRA, Stag, etc.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGJetMech View Post
Yes, this is nit picky, .223 and 5.56 are basically the same thing, but get a 5.56. 5.56 can shoot both rounds, .223s can only shoot .223 (safely). The 5.56 is a NATO round which will shoot at a higher pressure. A 5.56 will allow you to shoot surplus ammo along with civilian ammo, but be sure to get a heavier buffer if you go with 5.56.
Well this depends on how accurate you want it a longer distances, a .223 fired from a 5.56 wont be as accurate at a longer distance than a .223 from a milspec .223.

The military 5.56 stuff is normally thicker brass. Not a lot, but enough to change the internal volume of the cartridge. A 5.56 chamber has a bit more lead (the 'free jump' space at the end of the chamber before the bullet gets to the lands in the bore).

That bit of extra lead creates an effectively larger chamber, keeping pressure from building quite as high. The downside to this is that a rifle with a 5.56 chamber will probably not be as accurate as one with a match .223 chamber. It's a matter of degrees though - you'd probably need to bench the rifle to see the difference in accuracy, and even then there are so many variables between rifles that it (the accuracy differences due to chamber type) may get lost in the noise.

Firing a 5.56 round in a .223 chamber can lead to an overpressure situation thanks to the effectively smaller chamber caused by the shorter jump to the lands (leade).

This is all why the .223 Wylde exists. It's meant to meet the qualities of both chamber types in the middle. Theoretically more accurate than a 5.56 chamber and still safe for military ball
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Over the past year or two I've built myself and my wife each CMMG ARs. They have been flawless through a couple thousand rounds. If I were going to buy a complete rifle I would go with Danial Defense or Noveske but only because Colts are banned in Cali. I would also go with .308 just to be different the others are 5.56.

N4 Light Rifles - Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons - NoveskeRifleworks.com

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Rifles

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjislander View Post
Well this depends on how accurate you want it a longer distances, a .223 fired from a 5.56 wont be as accurate at a longer distance than a .223 from a milspec .223.

The military 5.56 stuff is normally thicker brass. Not a lot, but enough to change the internal volume of the cartridge. A 5.56 chamber has a bit more lead (the 'free jump' space at the end of the chamber before the bullet gets to the lands in the bore).

That bit of extra lead creates an effectively larger chamber, keeping pressure from building quite as high. The downside to this is that a rifle with a 5.56 chamber will probably not be as accurate as one with a match .223 chamber. It's a matter of degrees though - you'd probably need to bench the rifle to see the difference in accuracy, and even then there are so many variables between rifles that it (the accuracy differences due to chamber type) may get lost in the noise.

Firing a 5.56 round in a .223 chamber can lead to an overpressure situation thanks to the effectively smaller chamber caused by the shorter jump to the lands (leade).

This is all why the .223 Wylde exists. It's meant to meet the qualities of both chamber types in the middle. Theoretically more accurate than a 5.56 chamber and still safe for military ball
Best explanation I've seen so far, that bit of information took me months to compile, read, and understand while I was building my own. That seems to be what I got as well and is a pretty good "in a nut shell" overview.

So I've got a CMMG and am fairly happy with it, now I got a zinger to throw in here.... whats up with CMMGs barrel coating and how do all these new companies compete with their super secret squirrel internal coatings?
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiksroks View Post
Over the past year or two I've built myself and my wife each CMMG ARs. They have been flawless through a couple thousand rounds. If I were going to buy a complete rifle I would go with Danial Defense or Noveske but only because Colts are banned in Cali. I would also go with .308 just to be different the others are 5.56.

N4 Light Rifles - Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons - NoveskeRifleworks.com

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Rifles
You like your CMMG as well? I like how for the most part their components and complete rifles are clean and simple. I'm not one for every tactical flashlight and a rail on every angle/corner.

What upper receiver did you use?
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
So I've got a CMMG and am fairly happy with it, now I got a zinger to throw in here.... whats up with CMMGs barrel coating and how do all these new companies compete with their super secret squirrel internal coatings?
For the "hobby" shooter (you and me and 99% of the world) barrel coatings, whether there or not, make absolutely no difference. That being said, my Bushy varminter is chrome lined simply because I demand long-lasting pinpoint accuracy....yah right, that rifle outshoots me all day long at 300+ yards.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo View Post
For the "hobby" shooter (you and me and 99% of the world) barrel coatings, whether there or not, make absolutely no difference. That being said, my Bushy varminter is chrome lined simply because I demand long-lasting pinpoint accuracy....yah right, that rifle outshoots me all day long at 300+ yards.

My CMMG is chrome lined with their WASP lining. From what I gather it will just hold up better and should stay "cleaner" per say for an AR. Like I said I'm the hobby shooter who hasn't had any problems with it. All my LEO friends really like it though.
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
Indy

The "what AR" discussion should be labeled "Which AR do you own?" They turn into ford/vs chevy more often than not with whatever that poster owns as being 'best'. Same with most firearms discussions. I've shot all types and have come to the conclusion that there are some that are more or less expensive, but other than than they're pretty universal. Decent upper, decent lower, decent barrel, decent trigger, and you've got a pretty decent rifle.

I do have an opinion on pistols based on repeated personal experience, but that's a whole other topic for people to get pissed at me about

That's discounting anything I've read on the internet (stay away from xxx because I heard etc), just actual trigger time. Last rifle class I went to had just about every manufacturer out there and we beat the living crap out of those rifles. Shot more in a day than your average guy will in the next decade and did it in sleet and rain and dust-storms. I don't recall anyone having any problems.

Just don't dump every penny you have into it. They're fun, but of fairly limited use.

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.