Best All-Around Vehicle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Best All-Around Vehicle

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Best All-Around Vehicle

So I currently have an XJ on tons that I don't really expect to ever make street legal again. I also have a 2000 Dodge Cummins and a car hauler to tow the Jeep. The truck has also served as my daily driver for years. For the past couple years though I've had a company vehicle so I don't really need 2 vehicles anymore. Besides, having 1 ton locked axles makes me miss the old days of driving through town to the trails, and a time when things were more challenging.

That being said, I'm at a point where I'd really like to simplify my life and meet all my vehicle needs with one vehicle, and figured I'd ask everyone here for their opinions. I've listed my criteria below, which are currently met with my 2 vehicles and a trailer. I'd like to accomplish these things with 1 vehicle. Any suggestions?

I need:
-4 wheel drive. I live in the woods in New Hampshire.
-Ability to haul stuff (my current truck is great, I'm never worried about overloading it) I also now own a house, so a truck would be great
-Definitely the ability to go off roading with something nimble, preferably an XJ-sized vehicle.
-Get 20 mpg (my truck gets 19-22 depending on use, usually 20-ish)
-Cost less than 10k
-Ability to plow the driveway
-Preferably not a foreign make (guess I'm just old school), but I may consider it
-Something not too cramped
-MUST BE FUN TO DRIVE. A straight-pipe 24 valve with a turbo whistle is fun, as is a Jeep that I can spontaneously turn off the road and rip up some trail

The Jeep is loads of fun to drive, but the extra costs of wheeling something like that could be better spent elsewhere. Besides, most trails around here are pretty easy. I'm in my mid 20s and must be getting an old mindset, because I'm starting to think about boring stuff like: long-term savings, fixing up the house, etc. I'd like to build something that can do everything in my list (or at least most).

Discuss...

Unread 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
JoeCitizen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Other than the "not foreign made" part I was going to say a 4 door Tacoma 4X4. It's taken these last 10 or 12 years, but I've lost all faith in American full sized pickups.

I love my 2012 JKU Sport. Maybe that would do ya.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCitizen
Other than the "not foreign made" part I was going to say a 4 door Tacoma 4X4. It's taken these last 10 or 12 years, but I've lost all faith in American full sized pickups. I love my 2012 JKU Sport. Maybe that would do ya.
Tacomas and tundras are made in the USA
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
this ^
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tacoma or older toyota P/U or 4Runner (they may not be made in the USA)

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Subaru. It's not a truck/SUV but it wont stop it from taking on mild off roading with ease.

Very easy to work on and very fun to drive.
You would be shocked how much you can fit in the back of a wagon.
The bumper can plow the driveway hehehe. Seriously though it can push through snow over it's headlights.
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

AMC Eagle.
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
AMC Eagle.
/thread
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
this ^
Yup yup. I confirm this.

Though you might have fun trying to find a Taco for a reasonable price. The re-sale value is outrageous...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788
Subaru. It's not a truck/SUV but it wont stop it from taking on mild off roading with ease. Very easy to work on and very fun to drive. You would be shocked how much you can fit in the back of a wagon. The bumper can plow the driveway hehehe. Seriously though it can push through snow over it's headlights.

We used to "wheel" my parents 1985 Subaru GL wagon when I was younger.... Nothing could stop that thing. That is until we buried it up to the frame in mud and somehow ripped a fuel line out.

Our base model had sunroof, power locks, power windows, and a digital dash.

I think we traded it at close to 300k
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
I need:
-4 wheel drive. I live in the woods in New Hampshire.
-Ability to haul stuff (my current truck is great, I'm never worried about overloading it) I also now own a house, so a truck would be great
-Definitely the ability to go off roading with something nimble, preferably an XJ-sized vehicle.
-Get 20 mpg (my truck gets 19-22 depending on use, usually 20-ish)
-Cost less than 10k
-Ability to plow the driveway
-Preferably not a foreign make (guess I'm just old school), but I may consider it
-Something not too cramped
-MUST BE FUN TO DRIVE. A straight-pipe 24 valve with a turbo whistle is fun, as is a Jeep that I can spontaneously turn off the road and rip up some trail
You have some criteria in there that is a bit contradicting.
My suggestion is to find an 80's diesel Blazer.
This would give you the fuel economy you want, would be small enough for your needs, and have a real frame under it for plowing. The 6.2/6.5 are upgradable and since you have diesel experience, the engine wouldn't be new to you.
Given the standard Blazer frame, the drivetrain can be upgraded as well.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
You have some criteria in there that is a bit contradicting.
My suggestion is to find an 80's diesel Blazer.
This would give you the fuel economy you want, would be small enough for your needs, and have a real frame under it for plowing. The 6.2/6.5 are upgradable and since you have diesel experience, the engine wouldn't be new to you.
Given the standard Blazer frame, the drivetrain can be upgraded as well.
My dads 84 6.2 gets maybe 10 mpg.. IDK how one could get even close to 20.
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788
My dads 84 6.2 gets maybe 10 mpg.. IDK how one could get even close to 20.
Something is wrong with his blazer then my brother had a 6.2l suburban getting 22mpg hiway and 17 city
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the best option is most likely a Toyota (if I want some thing newer than the 80s).
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd keep the tow rig and toy. Its nice to be able to go out wheeling and not worry about having to drive to work the next day. If the jeep is still tagged, take them off and cancel the insurance. You are now down to "one" vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.