Becareful when shopping! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Becareful when shopping!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
lilredmnstr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Becareful when shopping!

I have been upgrading my 04 sahara and was in the process of ordering parts for the job when I came acroo 4wd.com.Iwas talking to the sales person and making my list and finishing up the order gave him my credit card information when he told me the lift kit was on back order for a month.So I told him to cancell the order and that I would call somebody else so he said he was sorry they couldnt help me and we said goobye. Well I got my lift kit from somebody else and with the job almost finished I start getting all these boxes from 4wd.com and they charge my debit card for the stuff.Icalled them and they tell me to ship the stuff back and they will give me my money back.I explained to them I needed that money for the shop doing the work on my rig.they tell me its not their fault and they wont give me my money back with out the parts (that I didn't want and cancelled two and a half weeks before)Now it will cost me an extra 200.00 dollars in car rental because I cant get my rig without paying the shop first.

Does anybody have ant advise for me?

Unread 11-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
VetteMemphis
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Couple of suggestions but first, Bruce's standard disclaimer: "if you can use it, (the advice) use it - if not, throw it out."

Based on what you're telling us, THEY are the ones who fornicated with the family puppy, not you.

First, I'd call the bank and find out if there is any protection on your debit card. If it's a Visa, for example, there probably is.

Then, I would call that vendor and ask to speak with someone in management. (Did you get the name of the person with whom you spoke originally?) When you get a supervisor on the phone, KEEP YOUR COOL.

In the most cordial tone of voice you can muster, and without being accusing, simply state that Larry, Moe, or Curly (the sales person) agreed that you would not be purchasing from his company and that no sale had been completed.

Very politely tell the member of management what happened and that you will return the merchandise freight collect. Without hesitating, ask him if he has a preferred shipper. If they truly are a stand-up operator, he'll agree to that arrangement.

(Make it clear that there are to be NO further charges to your card.)

If the outfit is not that "stand-up" and expresses reluctance to do the right thing, tell him that you really hate to see this thing end badly but he may leave you no choice but to contact his local Better Business Bureau. Most companies actually care what gets reported to their local BBB. Matter of fact, I would place a call to that particular BBB up front and enquire whether or not they know of any complaints.

If the BBB idea doesn't take hold, then simply inform him that you've no other choice but to file a small claims complaint in court. Contact a local attorney and enquire about that route. Usually the local DA's office can advise on a "small" matter such as yours without charge.

I apologize for the lengthy response but I hate to see anyone get shafted due to incompetence or misunderstanding.

I'm sure there are others on the Forum who can offer better specific advice if the thing deteriorates into a legal matter. Hopefully it won't, though.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bruce
VetteMemphis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
lilredmnstr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice

Yes I do have the names of all parties involved.And I am glad you said something about the BBB because I had forgotten about that avenue.I will keep yall posted. Thanks.
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

so you called 4wd.com

you inquired on parts, expressed your interest to place an order for those parts, gave your credit card information, and were then told that the parts were on backorder.....

so you attempted to cancel your order but for whatever reason, your conversation ended with the rep.... whether he hung up on your, had technical difficulties, etc is meaningless...

rather than call back to verify that your order had been cancelled and get some sort of confirmation number you simply let it ride.... and now you have parts in hand that you don't need and you have been billed for those parts as per your original conversation with the sales rep... correct?

again, i don't mean to come accross as a jerk, but if you would have followed through with your order/cancellation this never would have happened.... I'd take this as a learning experience and be happy it was only a few hundred dollar learning experience as it could have been much worse.

-Erik <--- has placed many orders with 4wd.com and never had any sort of miscommunication
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so you attempted to cancel your order but for whatever reason, your conversation ended with the rep.... whether he hung up on your, had technical difficulties, etc is meaningless...
Did we read the same original post here, or was it edited after the fact? If it has not been edited I think you may have missed something, if edited-- carry on.

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
1973 cz 250 MX Not much suspension, but 36 BHP at 6k rpms!
2006 Rhino SE, 27" Mud lites and a cupholder.
http://www.caos4x4.com/cmbs/index.php
JTB51B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredmnstr
So I told him to cancell the order and that I would call somebody else so he said he was sorry they couldnt help me and we said goobye.
i interpreted the above quote as the rep telling him he couldn't help with the order cancellation.... my mistake.... but that goes to show that their should be no room for misinterpretation when placing/cancelling orders...

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredmnstr
I have been upgrading my 04 sahara and was in the process of ordering parts for the job when I came acroo 4wd.com.Iwas talking to the sales person and making my list and finishing up the order gave him my credit card information when he told me the lift kit was on back order for a month.So I told him to cancell the order and that I would call somebody else so he said he was sorry they couldnt help me and we said goobye. Well I got my lift kit from somebody else and with the job almost finished I start getting all these boxes from 4wd.com and they charge my debit card for the stuff.Icalled them and they tell me to ship the stuff back and they will give me my money back.I explained to them I needed that money for the shop doing the work on my rig.they tell me its not their fault and they wont give me my money back with out the parts (that I didn't want and cancelled two and a half weeks before)Now it will cost me an extra 200.00 dollars in car rental because I cant get my rig without paying the shop first.

Does anybody have ant advise for me?
Here's my advice. Don't spend your last $200 on mods to your Jeep.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Never use a debit card....ever....for anything.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK5.7VIRGIN
Never use a debit card....ever....for anything.
why?
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Killer
why?
...because the bloods will kill you!!!
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Killer
why?
Because it is directly tied to a bank account rather than a credit account (invisible play money until the end of the month). No one can steal credit card money because it is CREDIT meaning you don't have it and can file with your credit card company to get it back if something like this happens.

Debit cards are like electronic checks. Don't use them for online stuff except PayPal.
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
Because it is directly tied to a bank account rather than a credit account (invisible play money until the end of the month). No one can steal credit card money because it is CREDIT meaning you don't have it and can file with your credit card company to get it back if something like this happens.

Debit cards are like electronic checks. Don't use them for online stuff except PayPal.
ill have to keep that in mind from now on. i always use my debit card but i watch my account closely
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
jeepsgotnutz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LilRdMnstr I sent you a PM...

I was sad because I had no shoes, until a I met a man with no feet. So I said to the man, "Got any shoes you're not using?"
jeepsgotnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with some of what was posted. First, call 4wd.com and explain the problem. Ask them to send you a freight pickup and credit your account asap. If they refuse, call the bank and dispute the bill. Either way, you will get your money back.

No way should you pay the freight.

4wd.com may have screwed up the order, even reputable shops make mistakes, but don't expect them to pay for your rental car.

And don't even consider calling a lawyer anytime in the near future. That's sending good money after bad. Remember, 99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name. The credit card company will take care of you at no cost to you.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
lilredmnstr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It was settled after I talked to the sales manager and she told me she would give me a discount on my next order .And thanks for all the advise I got from everybody.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.