ON THE BANKS OF THE DEEP END - my first post - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > ON THE BANKS OF THE DEEP END - my first post

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-27-2001, 09:24 AM   #1
GRETA97

ON THE BANKS OF THE DEEP END - my first post

ON THE BANKS OF THE DEEP END -

Ok - so I get my first "jeep rescue" call last night. Its around 6:00pm, dark, windy, 20 degrees, and my buddy’s are out in some swamp up the mountain with 2 stuck Jeeps. Dan in his 95 YJ, and BJ in his 98 TJ. I don’t have much goin on, and I do have a 12 pack of Lager in the fridge, and someday these guys might need to rescue me. So off I was.

Stopped at a friend to pick him up as well as some supplies – chains, hooks, gas up, and were off. We find the dirt road where they gained access to the swamp, locked of course. S’ok, we go around it, hey, it is a Jeep afterall

We start the decent towards the swamp, never been here before, im looking fer some kinda sign. I see lights, we’re on the right trail. We crawl on down to where they are stuck. Careful not too wind up in the same predicament they are. Ok, BJ’s don’t look too bad, just needs a couple on jerks with the chain, and he should be fine.

We hook up the straps to my front pushbar ( me not thinking ) we pull and pull, and jerk , and finally with one good yank with 8 feet of slack in the chain, and the hammer down to the floor, he came loose. Woohooo VICTORY!!! And just then I hear “whoa man, looks like we owe you a new bumper” FECK! I get out to find the bottom bar of my pushbar, ripped off. Upon further inspection, its fixable, and these guys are welders, so its all good. Ok 1 down 1 to go. GO JEEP POWER GO !!!!

Now, on to Danny. Danny was in A LOT deeper, and I mean A LOT. BJ had gotten stack trying to get Danny out. He was in there good. Thick mud, ice, up to the doors, and sinking. Not good, and I admit, my outlook was bleak. BJ hooks up the chains to Danny and starts trying to yank him out, giving me a break to rig up my bumper to make it home.

BJ’s tugging hard at Danny, and then I heard it, SNAP, there goes a shackle. FECK. Ok, move to other shackle. Pull, pull, jerk, jerk, bounce on it, nothin, then, SHIET !!! FIRE !!!! Ground is on fire underneath. No one has a fire extinguisher? WTF? Ok, I have lager and water, run over, put out fire. Whhheeeww.

Looking bleak, Plan B, go get longer chain. We sit and wait BJ runs. Dan decides to get tow truck, gate is locked, need boltcutters, call BJ, chain and boltcutters within the hour. BJ returns, time to crack the gate, hmmm nice lock and chain, broke boltcutters.

Plan C. Pull around to other side of swamp upon some local yocals advise. I pull to other side of swamp, BJ follows. This is looking good, I got a good angle, solid ground, we might make it outta here. Pullin, tuggin, makin a little progress. Then, I get stuck. FECK !!! Ok, BJ pulls me out. Now this is war !! Pull up at another angle, more solid ground, add more chain, couple of jerks, some testosterone, and one final WHAAAMMOOO, HE’S FREE!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh yeahhh - The natives are raving with joy, screaming at the sky.

JEEEEEPPP POOOOWWEERRR!!!!

Damage Control –

Me –
Broken bumper bar, bent front bumper ( fixable )
2 Lagers to put out fire

Dan –
Shackle pulled from frame
Other shackle bent
Mud, ice, water, earth, grass, frozen everywhere
1 pair jeans shot
1 pair boots shot
1 coat shot
1 pair gloves lost
His pride

Rich –
Bottle of water to put out fire

BJ –
No damage ( cause he’s a PUSSIE!!! )
His pride

So….. what a crazy night indeed.

GRETA97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:56 AM   #2
OhYeah

Wow, that sounds like an exciting evening. Too bad about your bumper. FYI, that's what Tow Hooks are for. But I am sure you know that by now. Anyway, glad to hear and glad you shared.

Peace,

Chris

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:01 AM   #3
GRETA97

hahaha - yeah i know - gotta get me some tow hooks. i had a feeling i was gonna snap the bar, but like i said its fixable.

rest of the night i pulled from the frame.

so this brings me to a question, where is the best location to mount hooks ?
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:12 AM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a great adventure. Rescues are one of the best parts of owning a Jeep. If I understood correctly, you guys were doing your pulls in reverse. I was sure I was gonna hear of a front Dana 30 failure. Whenever you can, pull in a forward gear. Your front axle is at its weakest in reverse. Sounds like your group could use a winch! Now how did the fire start?

It would be wholey irresponsible of me to not bring up the subject of tread lightly. I'm not a real trail prude. But the locked gate part of your story is troubling. I admit that if I had to rescue buddies, I would go around the gate too. Anyone else, they would have been on their own. In any case, the last thing I'd do is post this part of the story on the world wide web so the greenies have more evidence to show that us four wheelers are lawless punks that drive wherever we want.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
GRETA97

ok, the fire hahahaha

guess with all that reving of the engine, it got pretty hot under there, grass caught fire. i run over and start throwing lager under the jeep. i empty out, open the hood, grad another beer and some water, and start pouring, luckily, we got it out.

now as far as the gate, i wasnt too happy to see where these guys were. trespassing. i ride with these guys alot, and this is the first i have known them to do this. i let them know i didnt think it was "too cool".
Unread 12-31-2001, 11:56 AM   #6
turk

sounds like it was nothing short of eventful. what kind Jeep do you have? There should be a location on the frame in the front and back where you can mount tow hooks. If you have a hitch you can by a hitch tow hook.

hope all turns out well!

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2001, 07:01 PM   #7
Lukasz

he's got a TJ.
look here: http://home.epix.net/~r00t/4x4oct/ - his web site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.