Backpacking food - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Backpacking food

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jeep View Post
i'm a subscriber to Backpacker and they have some decent recipes: http://www.backpacker.com/article/to...le&tag=recipes

also i like to take oatmeal for breakfast and a packet of rice or a can of tuna for dinner. when i'm out hiking we don't stop to eat lunch, instead just snack, like energy or granola bars. i like to take things that weigh the least as possible. i used to take MRE's with me, but they are just too bulky.
I'm finding some good stuff on the backpacker website!

Unread 06-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
nwiTJdave

Not that it is food related, but how much water are you taking with? Are you taking any iodine tabs? Water goes fast and is more important than food in the back country.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy_90 View Post
I'm finding some good stuff on the backpacker website!
yea they have some good looking stuff on there (like BEER pancakes!), but i don't like to prepare all that stuff...just like it as simple as possible, even if it sacrifices taste a little.
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Not that it is food related, but how much water are you taking with? Are you taking any iodine tabs? Water goes fast and is more important than food in the back country.
It will vary depending on how hot it is but I do have purification tablets and there will be several opportunities along the way obtain water from a creek. Water can always be boiled as well. I could carry up to 2 nalgene bottles in addition to my 100oz camelback but that's a lot of weight, then again, it goes fast.
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jeep View Post
yea they have some good looking stuff on there (like BEER pancakes!), but i don't like to prepare all that stuff...just like it as simple as possible, even if it sacrifices taste a little.
I actually kind of like cooking in the backcountry, there's something cool to me about having really good food that I would enjoy at home out in the woods.
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dry your own food. My family and I go on a 4-5 day pack every year and we dry a bunch of food beforehand for the trip.
I generally put together a pot of spaghetti for 10 people.

I make a huge pot of sauce (about 1.5 Gallons) and dry it out in the oven. It is a hearty meaty sauce. After drying the 1.5 gallons can be reduced to ~2 pounds. Add in some noodles and you are ready to go.
Chili is another good one. Dry it out in the oven. Add in some tortillas and eat up.

To hydrate, just add water, simmer and eat. It comes back to life as if it were never dried out and tastes like you made it at home.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I too like those foods you get from the sporting good stores. Since you will be in Kentucky and it'll be hot, having a salty food isn't a bad thing - it helps prevent dehydration.

I have a single burner stove for backpacking that I use when I'm hiking or on a Jeep Run. I also pack a pan that I can cook it all in. It's very light and I can pack stuff into it so it doesn't take so much space in the pack. Heat it up and enjoy.

But if you want fresh food, vacuum sealing and freezing is a great way to go. You can store them next to your Camelback pouch (if you have one) to keep water cold too. If you're not taking a cooler, freeze a water bottle filled with your water so you can use it to keep food cold, but then drink it as needed as it melts.

We're hiking the Grand Canyon next year, so I'm enjoying reading the input here too!
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

So in reading what everyone wrote you need to remember long term short term. Cans of ravoili are great (remember can opener tool)if you get lost.YOur favorite jerky lasts long too.The freeze dried pouch meals ,or military MRE's .Remember it is about staying safe not how manly you are.Every soldier I ever served with always carried some of the same stuff.Remember the rules "Water first ,shelter,Than food."You can go a week without food but water is life and heat or cold can kill.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.