Autoshop Trust - Anyone Use Sear's Auto Service? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Autoshop Trust - Anyone Use Sear's Auto Service?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
muzicman82
2011 WK 

Autoshop Trust - Anyone Use Sear's Auto Service?

This is not in regards to a Jeep but I trust you guys more than a lot of other boards.. besides I'm not a member of any other automotive boards.

My girlfriend's family has a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander. In February 2011, it needed new front brakes. I am 99% sure I got these from Advance Auto Parts. I get just about everything from them because I can order online and apply 40% off coupon codes. I looked up the order and as usual ordered Wearever Gold Brake Pads.

The vehicle just went to Sears Auto for new tires. Girlfriend's brother drives it now and took it. They told him it needed new front brakes and wanted $450 for the job. They told him the rotors had deep grooves. He declined and called me. I found it odd that it would need new pads so quickly. It generally isn't driven more than 20 miles a day, and even sat in the driveway for about 5-6 months last year.

I can't read the poor handwriting on the paperwork with the caliper and disc rotor thicknesses, but I went ahead and got parts for the job and replaced the front pads, both rotors, and hardware. All in it was around $115 (after 2x $40 off $100+) coupons split on two orders.

What was most surprising was that the front right pads had literally zero pad left and the rotor was indeed shot. The left side had more than half of the pads left and the rotor was mostly fine.

I found zero traces of brake fluid leak. Caliper and everything looks good. I installed the new rotors and pads and tested. All seems fine. Both calipers seem to be grabbing as shown by new scratches and heat after test drive.

Now... I don't want to jump to conclusions about Sears, but 1) they didn't mention to gf's brother that one side was worn out far more than the other and 2) the pads that came off the vehicle were Bosch brand and I don't think I ever bought Bosch brand and put them on this vehicle. Gf's brother swears the vehicle didn't go to anyone else in the last two years for brake service since I last changed them 2 years ago. Furthermore, gf's brother doesn't remember hard, loud grinding before taking the vehicle to Sears for new tires, but that's how it came back.

I really couldn't tell if the brake parts were recently disassembled or cleaned before I took apart everything. Honestly I wasn't paying close attention until I was nearly done the 2nd side and realized things weren't matching up. I will say that besides a little nudging, the caliper bolts and mounting bracket bolts came off far easier than I expected. So did the rotors. They just took a little hammer tapping to release from the hub. Nowhere near the lobs of PB Blaster I usually need to un-seize them.

I found the order online from Advance Auto Parts for the exact part numbers from 2/2011 and the pads/rotors are exactly the match for this Mitsubishi. I don't know anyone else with a Mitsubishi vehicle that I could be mistaking this order for. I don't think AAP even sells Bosch pads.

I've heard horror stories about shops showing customers someone else's worn out parts to gain service jobs, but switching parts? That's a new one. I can imagine why... Customer might not think its bad but once they hear/feel this grinding, they will be back! This is the reason I do 99% of all of my own auto service/repairs. Should I be concerned here?

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.6L V6
42,000 (10/6/12)
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My grandfather would use them all the time. I would never consider it.
I always do all work on my own cars, with the exception of my wifes Grand (it has a warranty).
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sound sketchy but I could not imagine how it would be profitable to pull off the rotors and brake pads and replace them with used ones.
That is if they would even happen to have them in the shop at that time.
Have you considered that maybe he has a bad caliper?
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
muzicman82
2011 WK 

Yeah, like I said I don't want to immediately assume a shop would do this. The calipers seem to be fine. I would also expect the vehicle to pull to one side while braking if one caliper was out but not the other.

It does seem like a lot of work to swap out these parts but honestly in a shop with all of the right tools, this could have been done in about 10-15 minutes.

It still just weirds me out that the pads that came off are Bosch and I never bought these pads..

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.6L V6
42,000 (10/6/12)
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.