Auto parts Store Policy: Is this right? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Auto parts Store Policy: Is this right?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
I've been selling auto parts since 1979, and this is exactly right.
But how many people come in and say I want part # X?
99.9% of the time they come in and say I need X for a whatever make, model, year, and engine. And the computer tells them the part #. Heck even if you knew one manufacturers part # you wouldn't know them all or what the parts place inventory part # was.

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the time even if you have a part number they still want to look it up. I've had the following conversation a bunch of times.

Me: I need a Purolator #FF509 (not the actual part number I just can't recall it at the moment)

CP: What vehicle is it for?

Me: It's a fuel filter for my boat, just look up the number and you can order it.

CP: We don't carry boat parts.

Me: Just look up FF509, it'll show up.

CP: Oh we do carry it and it's special order.

Me: I know I'd like 2 please.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
Most of the time even if you have a part number they still want to look it up. I've had the following conversation a bunch of times.

Me: I need a Purolator #FF509 (not the actual part number I just can't recall it at the moment)

Me: It's a fuel filter for my boat, just look up the number and you can order it.

Yeah I've memorized part #'s for wear-n-tear stuff like oil filters, air filters (until I got a K&N), brake pads, etc. but I always check the box in case they changed a #... they haven't yet though.

@ colojeepguy- That's as long as I've been alive!! O_O
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Hurley91

We only charge a restocking fee for electronic parts we special order. We would've returned it no problem, and either given your full amount back, or get you the right part.

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post

Hehe, It always irritates me when a simple request turns into work on my part. If I ask for advice, give it, if I tell you exactly what I want, find it.

I know lowes and home depot like the back of my hand. I spend between 30-60k a year there and I'm always price shopping for future projects. More than once I've helped customers find what they were looking for and then have them ask where my nametag was, it's always fun when I tell them I don't work there.

Menards just opened up and their people are oh so annoyingly helpful. I went in the other day to pick up some white silicone, new store so I didn't know where it was. Asked a guy and all I really wanted was for him to point in a direction.

But I get "What are you working on?"
- a project, where's the white silicone?
"What kind of project?"
-the kind I need white silicone for, which direction?
"What are you going to do with it?"
-I'm going to stick it in a caulking gun and squirt it out. Where is it?

After about 10 minutes of this, and yes after the first few questions I became annoying obstinate on purpose, he finally shows me where it was, and then follows me for 10 aisles still trying to 'help'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
But how many people come in and say I want part # X?
99.9% of the time they come in and say I need X for a whatever make, model, year, and engine. And the computer tells them the part #. Heck even if you knew one manufacturers part # you wouldn't know them all or what the parts place inventory part # was.
I do it pretty much all the time. When I don't I end up driving the 20 miles home, just to turn around and go back to the parts store to exchange. The same guy giving me automotive advice this week was asking if I wanted large fries last week.

I spent almost an hour 2 weeks ago trying to help a guy find the part I wanted in his system (advanced auto parts) and couldn't with him at the keyboard. 5 minutes on my smart phone, advanced auto's website, and showed him the exact part number I needed. And he still ordered the wrong one

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.