Auto parts Store Policy: Is this right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Auto parts Store Policy: Is this right?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,646
Auto parts Store Policy: Is this right?

You walk into an auto parts store and tell the counter person, "I need a pair of trunk lid struts for a 1993 Geo Metro LSI Convertible." He looks it up, tells you it's a special order part that needs to be paid in advance. So you fork over $90 and wait two days. When you get back, you pick up the struts and leave.

You then try to put them on and find they are the wrong ones and do not fit. When you take them back, the counter person says, "Well, that's what the computer says, and they were special ordered, so you have to pay a $8 restocking fee to return them." You say, "Why, I told you what I needed and it was the wrong part." Answer, "Well, that's what the computer says and we don't put the info in the computer, that part vendor does, so it's $8."

You take the lesser refund and leave disgusted (first time you've been to that store).

Then, you decide to look on-line, at struts-r-us or something. You enter the 1993 Geo Metro LSI Convertible and they show a photo of the exact right part. You buy it, receive it, and it fits fine.

Question: Was the parts store right in charging a restocking fee?

By the way, this was for a friends car across town, and I did not have access to it to see if the store ordered parts were the right ones when I picked them up.

__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome
 
AKABOB's Avatar
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TXK, TX
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You walk into an auto parts store and tell the counter person, "I need a pair of trunk lid struts for a 1993 Geo Metro LSI Convertible." He looks it up, tells you it's a special order part that needs to be paid in advance. So you fork over $90 and wait two days. When you get back, you pick up the struts and leave.

You then try to put them on and find they are the wrong ones and do not fit. When you take them back, the counter person says, "Well, that's what the computer says, and they were special ordered, so you have to pay a $8 restocking fee to return them." You say, "Why, I told you what I needed and it was the wrong part." Answer, "Well, that's what the computer says and we don't put the info in the computer, that part vendor does, so it's $8."

You take the lesser refund and leave disgusted (first time you've been to that store).

Then, you decide to look on-line, at struts-r-us or something. You enter the 1993 Geo Metro LSI Convertible and they show a photo of the exact right part. You buy it, receive it, and it fits fine.

Question: Was the parts store right in charging a restocking fee?

By the way, this was for a friends car across town, and I did not have access to it to see if the store ordered parts were the right ones when I picked them up.
I believe they were wrong. They probably have to pay a restocking fee from their vendor, but they should argue that with them, not you. Assuming it is the wrong part, What was wrong with it? Did it just look different, ie aftermarket, or just plainly would not fit / work?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Popper;
Sitting in clover looking for the fifth leaf. Something soon will come my way.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 16,090
Stupid policy.

I have had a couple of stores try to pull that on me. In both cases I disputed the entire charge with the credit card company and got full value returned.

There was a time when most parts store guys were former mechanics or at least shady tree mechanics, same as the customers. Now most of them are one step above floor sweeper.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
bobjp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,412
I would not have accepted that. It's their mistake. Did you talk to the manager or try another store. Regarding issues like these, I find that I get different information depending on who's at the counter.
__________________
97 TJ sport.
bobjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 3,158
They ordered the wrong part, their problem. If their computers gives the wrong info, their problem. If you give them the part number and its wrong, your problem.
__________________
I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
vadslram
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 4,877
At least around here that isn't the policy.
I special ordered a wheel bearing for a friends 04 explorer. I got it home and with greasy hands opened the box, ripped the plastic bag and went to put it on...the interior flange was too big. Best I can figure some 04s have a different knuckle..
So back in the box, back to the store and they take it back. The only question was why, so they could enter the reason in the system.
I had the old one with me this time so we went through all the huibs listed for 02 - 13 and found the right one. No extra charge and an apology from the store manager. He had come by to see why I was monopolizing one of the registers.
Advance Auto, ALL THE WAY! at least in these here parts
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Kuntryboy816
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newark, Dela"where"
Posts: 534
I agree... their problem not yours. I'd call the store and speak to the manager and if that goes nowhere call corporate.

@Jbolty- The parts peeps at my local Autozone also sweep floors.... but at least they know their stuff for the most part!
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing! -E. Burke
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
I agree... their problem not yours. I'd call the store and speak to the manager and if that goes nowhere call corporate.

@Jbolty- The parts peeps at my local Autozone also sweep floors.... but at least they know their stuff for the most part!
Maybe I used too broad a brush but around here most of them at the chain stores wouldn't know what a brake pad looked like if you handed it to them.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,646
When this happened 2 yrs ago, I had just moved to Albuquerque, NM from Poughkeepsie, NY. I used Advance Auto Parts in Poughkeepsie as my first choice. Albuquerque doesn't have Advance, but they have PEP Boys and O'Reilly's that NY did not. This story happened on my first ever visit to any PEP Boys. I did talk to the manager. I told him I was new in town, buy a lot of parts, was looking for a new place to do so in Albuquerque, and this policy was not a good start for them. He didn't budge, so I've never gone back.

I went to O'Reilly's, which is now my primary store. I know I've spent well over $1,000 there in the past two years (just bought a $430 Magnaflow exhaust last month, Summit wanted $532). I even asked the O'Reilly's manager back then what their policy was on that scenario. He said he didn't care what the policy was for that, he would not have charged me anything.

This story popped into my head again today because I pass the PEP Boys all the time, and did again 20 mins before posting today. I get a 'pissed off' flash every time I see a PEP Boys sign.
__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome
 
AKABOB's Avatar
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TXK, TX
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
When this happened 2 yrs ago, I had just moved to Albuquerque, NM from Poughkeepsie, NY. I used Advance Auto Parts in Poughkeepsie as my first choice. Albuquerque doesn't have Advance, but they have PEP Boys and O'Reilly's that NY did not. This story happened on my first ever visit to any PEP Boys. I did talk to the manager. I told him I was new in town, buy a lot of parts, was looking for a new place to do so in Albuquerque, and this policy was not a good start for them. He didn't budge, so I've never gone back.

I went to O'Reilly's, which is now my primary store. I know I've spent well over $1,000 there in the past two years (just bought a $430 Magnaflow exhaust last month, Summit wanted $532). I even asked the O'Reilly's manager back then what their policy was on that scenario. He said he didn't care what the policy was for that, he would not have charged me anything.

This story popped into my head again today because I pass the PEP Boys all the time, and did again 20 mins before posting today. I get a 'pissed off' flash every time I see a PEP Boys sign.
Had a similar experience, but worse (monitarily). Ordered a left side tie rod end for my 4 wheeler from kawasaki. they had to order it. Cost was around $80. Came in with the wrong thread (left or right, don't remember). Basically it was for the opposite side. They said they would not take it back because it was special order. They said at some point I must have swapped the tie rod and put it in backwards. They would order me another. I asked what would happen if it was wrong.

I left there and went to a local cycle shop and asked if he could order me a tierod end and brought both the right and wrong part with me. This is when I got really pissed. He had a set with both right and left hand thread for $15 dollars.

If anyone needs a right side tie rod end for a 2000 Kawasaki Praire, I have 2. $75/ea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Popper;
Sitting in clover looking for the fifth leaf. Something soon will come my way.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
When this happened 2 yrs ago, I had just moved to Albuquerque, NM from Poughkeepsie, NY. I used Advance Auto Parts in Poughkeepsie as my first choice. Albuquerque doesn't have Advance, but they have PEP Boys and O'Reilly's that NY did not. This story happened on my first ever visit to any PEP Boys. I did talk to the manager. I told him I was new in town, buy a lot of parts, was looking for a new place to do so in Albuquerque, and this policy was not a good start for them. He didn't budge, so I've never gone back.

I went to O'Reilly's, which is now my primary store. I know I've spent well over $1,000 there in the past two years (just bought a $430 Magnaflow exhaust last month, Summit wanted $532). I even asked the O'Reilly's manager back then what their policy was on that scenario. He said he didn't care what the policy was for that, he would not have charged me anything.

This story popped into my head again today because I pass the PEP Boys all the time, and did again 20 mins before posting today. I get a 'pissed off' flash every time I see a PEP Boys sign.
$1000 over a 2 year period is really not that much $$$,I generally spend that much between Napa and Carquest each month.They both will deliever parts to me place or where ever I maybe(within reason).
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Freestyle713
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: , CT
Posts: 2,380
I work at advance, and we don't charge a restocking fee on anything. When we order something from the factory instead of one of our warehouses, we sometimes charge for shipping, but that's it, which unfortunately isn't refundable, but if it really was the wrong part, we would probably refund it, but that's a managers discretion situation. We pretty much always will return the part. Sometimes, the computer will have false information, though. For example, they say the newer Honda crv's take 5w20 and they really take 0w20 or 0w30 or something like that. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
__________________
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
$1000 over a 2 year period is really not that much $$$,I generally spend that much between Napa and Carquest each month.They both will deliever parts to me place or where ever I maybe(within reason).
Yeah, I'm in denial on what I spend. The $1,000 was a real low ball guess, and before the $430 for the exhaust. I also buy from Rock Auto when there is less urgency. NAPA runs a close 2nd for me to shop, depending upon availability.
__________________
'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3 Vortec V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(w/WarnHubs), 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM2's, AX15, 15x7 wheels, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000, no top or doors Apr-Oct.
Member and Web guy: New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
ionakana
Grand Poobah
 
ionakana's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 4,100
That's why I pay for stuff that has to be ordered with a credit card, if something is wrong I can dispute payment. Only had to do it twice and the CC always sides with me.
__________________
Psalm 14:1



http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf



Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
colojeepguy
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
They ordered the wrong part, their problem. If their computers gives the wrong info, their problem. If you give them the part number and its wrong, your problem.
I've been selling auto parts since 1979, and this is exactly right.
__________________
"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.