Audio Grade Electrical Sockets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Audio Grade Electrical Sockets

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Audio Grade Electrical Sockets

Parts-Express.com:Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket | wattgate socket power cords power outlet wattgate outlet

Scroll down and read the reviews of this product.....here is but a sampling:
Quote:
Warning: Read the manual; All seven volumes!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
99gecko from Antartica

Make sure you read the entire manual-it's only 637 pgs long.

I ordered 74; one for every appliance in the house. I figured if it was good for a HT, it was good for a nitelite.

Suffice it to say that I was too excited to read the entire instructions and wired up all the outlets backwards, neutral to hot, etc. What the product description doesn't say, is that this puppy is smart enough to correct for DIY'ers. Apparently, it sends a discrete signal back through the electrical grid to the utility notifying them of a botched wiring job. If the utility doesn't contact you within 24 hours, the Wattgate 361a hires a local electrician on your behalf.

Was I ever relieved when a team of Wattgate certified electricians arrived to correct the situation. Unfortunately, Wattgate certified electricians charge over $1300 per receptacle. I don't blame them - they lost 3000 hours to the Wattgate 361a apprenticeship program. Here's the kicker: because I wired these myself, I voided the $119 3-week extended warrantee I paid on each one!

I am very impressed with the Wattgate 361a and the changes it has made in our lives:
Due to a total loss of hearing, I can't actually detect an improvement in sound quality, but I know it's there based on the fact that my speakers rarely collect dust
Our toast never burns, and our coffee maker now turns water into wine
The garage door opens so silently that my wife can now hear me smoking in the car from inside the house
On-line banking? The 361a automatically enters my PIN & prevents me from making an overdraft
Small woodland animals line-up on our window ledge to sing in perfect harmony with our alarm clock
Talking to my mother-in-law on the phone is now a joy in 7.1 Dolby TrueHD surround sound
All of our CFL light bulbs use 1/200th their rated power, have a CRI of 100, and now work on dimmers
In the past 7 months we have had the Wattgate 361a installed, the 14 day weather forecast on the HDTV has been perfect

Thanks Wattgate!

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

I wonder if there is a group of really sarcastic people who just troll around obscure websites to write reviews?
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRiver View Post
I wonder if there is a group of really sarcastic people who just troll around obscure websites to write reviews?
I don't think there was a coordinated group effort there. Probably one person wrote such a review and others joined in. Considering that site is trying to sell electrical sockets for $150, I can see why.

Note review #1:

Quote:
Saturday, December 1, 2007
Josh K. from New York
Why in the world would you ever need a gold plated 120VAC duplex receptacle? This device doesn't carry any signal, and any voltage loss from oxidation would be so minimal as to be unnoticeable. Your money would be better spent buying a Furman power conditioner if you're that worried about line voltage issues. This is just another example of the silliness that is so pervasive amongst audio installations. I'm an electrical engineer who repairs professional audio equipment for Broadway theaters. Gold plating is pointless unless the signals have very minimal voltages. Gold plating is even more ridiculous for line power items.
Note most recent review, as I write this:

Quote:
Really Helped My Marriage
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Juan Solis from Texas
I was suffering performance anxiety with my wife until I installed this product. Thankfully, things are perking up.
Given the 2 year+ span between the almost 70 reviews, I doubt it is any kind of formal group effort.
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I do some side work for an "audiophile". He makes a line conditioner of sorts with filtering in the audible range (like 0 to 40Khz). The sockets he used to use were medical grade but now he's found a "much better one" from Japan that "sounds better". He even goes as far as cryogenic-ally treating the sockets to make them sound even better. And he sells these filters for a hefty profit.

Trust me....there is a HUGE market out there for any item that will make your $20,000 audio setup sound 0.001% better. Apparently, there is some difference in the acoustic performance of electrical sockets....or so they say.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett View Post
...sound 0.001% better. Apparently, there is some difference in the acoustic performance of electrical sockets....or so they say.
Placebo.

If I spent a bunch of money on useless ****, I could convince myself it sounds a lot better too (:
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Placebo.

If I spent a bunch of money on useless ****, I could convince myself it sounds a lot better too (:
Bingo.

Reminds me of the $7250 Pear Anjou speaker cables and their "danceability".
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly. Do a search for "cable cooking". Crazy stuff and folks are ready to pay out the nose for it. But hey, I'm the one making the money off of it, so I'm fine with it as long as they are happy with the results.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.