Asparagus Pee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Asparagus Pee?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Asparagus Pee?

Sorry if this is too much talking about urine, but I have a serious question.

I never have had this "asparagus urine," but this monday, after ingesting a good portion of the vegetable I noticed a foul smelling odor from the restrooms. Figuring it was something in the water, I went on my merry way. Fast forward today, and it still smells odd, I get nervous I have an issue because I never have had asparagus odors.

I finally do the math that I must have finally made my nose more acute, am getting the asparagus reaction, or my nether-regions are about to fall off.

Has anyone else noticed it took them many years to get this by any chance? Or am I soon to die?

3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

FROM WIKIPEDIA

The effect of eating asparagus on the eater's urine has long been observed:

"[Asparagus] cause a filthy and disagreeable smell in the urine, as every Body knows." (Treatise of All Sorts of Foods, Louis Lemery, 1702)
"asparagus... affects the urine with a foetid smell (especially if cut when they are white) and therefore have been suspected by some physicians as not friendly to the kidneys; when they are older, and begin to ramify, they lose this quality; but then they are not so agreeable." ("An Essay Concerning the Nature of Aliments," John Arbuthnot, 1735)
"A few Stems of Asparagus eaten, shall give our Urine a disagreable Odour..." ("Letter to the Royal Academy of Brussels," Benjamin Franklin, c. 1781)
Asparagus "...transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume." Marcel Proust (1871–1922) [37]
There is debate about whether all (or only some) people produce the smell, and whether all (or only some) people identify the smell. It was originally thought this was because some of the population digested asparagus differently from others, so some people excreted odorous urine after eating asparagus, and others did not. In the 1980s three studies from France,[38] China and Israel published results showing that producing odorous urine from asparagus was a common human characteristic. The Israeli study found that from their 307 subjects all of those who could smell 'asparagus urine' could detect it in the urine of anyone who had eaten asparagus, even if the person who produced it could not detect it himself. However, a 2010 study[40] found variations in both production of odorous urine and the ability to detect the odour, but that these were not tightly related. It is believed most people produce the odorous compounds after eating asparagus, but only about 22% of the population have the autosomal genes required to smell them.

In 2010, the company 23andMe published a genome-wide association study on whether participants have "ever noticed a peculiar odor when you pee after eating asparagus?"This study pinpointed a single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in a cluster of olfactory genes associated with the ability to detect the odor. While this SNP did not explain all of the difference in detection between people, it provides support for the theory that there are genetic differences in olfactory receptors that lead people to be unable to smell these odorous compounds.

Chemistry

Asparagus foliage turns bright yellow in autumn
Certain compounds in asparagus are metabolized, giving urine a distinctive smell due to ammonia and various sulfur-containing degradation products, including various thiols and thioesters.

Some of the volatile organic compounds responsible for the smell are:

methanethiol
dimethyl sulfide
dimethyl disulfide
bis(methylthio)methane
dimethyl sulfoxide
dimethyl sulfone
Subjectively, the first two are the most pungent, while the last two (sulfur-oxidized) give a sweet aroma. A mixture of these compounds form a "reconstituted asparagus urine" odor. This was first investigated in 1891 by Marceli Nencki, who attributed the smell to methanethiol.[49] These compounds originate in the asparagus as asparagusic acid and its derivatives, as these are the only sulfur-containing compounds unique to asparagus. As these are more present in young asparagus, this accords with the observation that the smell is more pronounced after eating young asparagus. The biological mechanism for the production of these compounds is less clear.

The onset of the asparagus urine smell is remarkably rapid. It has been estimated to start 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
jeepers29
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I learned in scuba class that you never eat asparigus before diving in a wet suit!
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You might want to abstain from chili the night before scuba diving as well.

As for ahs-per-guss (local dialect) I can smell it, but never thought about it enough about it to pin a date on it.
Unread 06-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

What the hell, is this thread for real?
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
pushead

I can always tell when my 14 month old eats it and you can't hold him for 24 hours after that because your eyes will water from the smell. It is amazing.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the thread is real and asparagus does make for bad smelling urine. Apparently it also makes other things taste bitter.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well thank god I donít eat it. When I was a young boy my parents made me sit at the table until I ate it but never did. Up to this day I have never even tasted it. For some strange reason it is the only food that I find disgusting, I donít know why but I do.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You are missing out
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

jalapeno pickeled, deep fried or grilled, ughhhh
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
You are missing out
Thatís what my mom and dad use to say when they were alive. All I would do was roll my eyes and cringe at the thought of even tasting it. I feel the same today as I did all those years ago. Yuck.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Qbdss
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All the more reason not to eat it.
Qbdss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Well thank god I donít eat it. When I was a young boy my parents made me sit at the table until I ate it but never did. Up to this day I have never even tasted it. For some strange reason it is the only food that I find disgusting, I donít know why but I do.
All the more for me, I especially like the wild stuff you pick along the ditches.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.