Arthroscopic surgery recovery time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Arthroscopic surgery recovery time?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Boonking
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Arthroscopic surgery recovery time?

I'm having arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in my left knee next week. Had the right knee done 20 yrs ago and can't remember how long the recovery time was (yea, I'm an old fawker!). Anyone here want to share their arthroscopic surgery experience with me? I hope to be walking semi-normal in a few days and jogging in a few weeks. Thanks.

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
AlumaDoo
2000 WJ 

I had mine done a few years ago on a Thursday. I used the recommended crutches for a day, then ditched 'em for the wknd, and went back to work on Monday. I took it easy, no ladders, minimal stairs, minimal carrying heavy stuff, etc. But normal walking was easy enough. Just take it easy for a week, then slowly get back into the groove. Obviously if you get right back into it too soon, even if you feel fine, you'll cause undue damage again. Gotta have that healing time.....Patience!!!!! And for what it's worth, I'm 44
AlumaDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Took the wife 3 mos to get back to 100% but it hurt to walk downhill longer
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
K&VRubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

It depends on what is being done. If it is a meniscal repair then you will be non weight bearing for at least 6-8 weeks. If it is a menisectomy then you will be weight bearing as tolerated. When you can start weight bearing, recovery can take up to an additional 6-8 weeks. It will take that long for the tissues to fully heal. Pain will vary with activity and individual tolerance. I'm a physical therapist and rehab this surgery frequently. If you have other questions feel free to ask.

"Time is an illusion, Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect
K&VRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
DeadManWalking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm an old fawker too, had total knee replacement the 23rd of May 2012, still ain't 100% but I'm getting there. I am hoping that by 1 August I'll be mobile enough to wheel and try to regain my yard back.
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
JBWrangler06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&VRubicon View Post
It depends on what is being done. If it is a meniscal repair then you will be non weight bearing for at least 6-8 weeks. If it is a menisectomy then you will be weight bearing as tolerated. When you can start weight bearing, recovery can take up to an additional 6-8 weeks. It will take that long for the tissues to fully heal. Pain will vary with activity and individual tolerance. I'm a physical therapist and rehab this surgery frequently. If you have other questions feel free to ask.
This is good advice. And if it's a work comp injury, add 10 years to everything and remember to complain constantly.
JBWrangler06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Boonking
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice all! I'll know more after they take a peek & get in there on Tuesday.

K&VRubicon, I may have a few more questions for ya after I get back from surgery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.