Is armor all bad for my tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Is armor all bad for my tires?

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
IAJack

Is armor all bad for my tires?

Had my new 31 BFG AT's on for about 3 months, not that is getting nice out I like to keep my TJ clean. Been using armor all on the tires. I know it attracts dust, but for awhile it looks nice. Any disadvantages to using it? Will it make the rubber rot or wear any faster or the UV rays harm them?

Thanks

IAJack

Unread 04-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
jcr23

armor all actually protects the rubber.
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a big fan of Armor All in any case personally. I used to use it on my old car, and it actually dried out the dash more than if I had left it alone. Maybe I just had a bad experience, or other factors...I'm not sure to be honest. I just don't use it any more. I have found that simple baby oil works GREAT though & it's prety cheap.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
LibertyV6

Just go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and buy their store brand of 'Black Magic Tire Spray' or "Wet n Black"

I use it all the time.

I have read that the silicon in the spray can get on your wheel when you spray your tires and takes many , many miles for the wheel to burn it off. (Can resultin warping of the rotor) I think that's crap though.

If you are paranoid now, just buy the foam tire spray----- if you manage to get that on your rotor, what can I say...
[U]ADDED[/U] MAGNAFLOW stainless muffler, Turbolator exhaust tip, K&N drop-in, ECLIPSE CD5000 8V HeadUnit, Infinity KAPPA speakers (all w/ Dynamat) run off RF 800a4 amp, One 12" [COLOR=DarkRed][B]KICKER[/B] [/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]Solo-Baric[/COLOR] L7 subwoofer - run off RF 500a2 amp, 2 AURA under-seat bass shakers using alpine Flex2 amp, Front/ rear Mopar window flares, front slush mats, eurostyle antenna, Power Horn with Uniden PA Mic, 3" Smittybilt step rails[/FONT]
LibertyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
FlyersFan2009

Armor All is petroleum based thus it will eventually dry out your tires, dash, and other plastic or rubber parts you put it on.

Find a water based protectant, there are many suggested on this board.
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
AudioGuru

I use Wesley's BlackMagic, it's good stuff. I know some of the car dealerships use Pledge since it gives a medium shine without looking too 'wet' but I can't imagine anything worse for a tire than a furniture polish.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
limecolbyjack

i think river bottom mud is the best dressing for tires. its a jeep why do ya want to make them tires shine like a _ _ _ _ _ _ bald head in a rain storm under a spot light? tire shine on a jeep is bout as worthless as a fur lined piss pot. -chris
limecolbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
AudioGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by limecolbyjack
i think river bottom mud is the best dressing for tires. its a jeep why do ya want to make them tires shine like a _ _ _ _ _ _ bald head in a rain storm under a spot light? tire shine on a jeep is bout as worthless as a fur lined piss pot. -chris

I hate when tires shine to the point of gleaming or they're slimy to the touch. I spray on a coat of Simple Green and scrub with a medium-stiff brush to clean off the white letters. Then I rinse that off and hit them with BlackMagic. I wipe that down to remove the excess for a deep black. I just don't like my tires looking grey and soiled. When we go to Osky, the soil there is laden with iron and everyone's tires come out coated in red rust. Yuck.

Unread 04-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
wyldejackyl

Quote:
That's hilarious! Although I do use Meguiar's tire gel on my tires maybe once a month, if that. Just when the mud grit gets in there and the scuffs from going over curbs becomes very apparent.

I'm also a fan of Aerospace 303. I would never EVER use TireWet by Black Magic though. After dealing with the stuff (look at the new package that it comes in), forget it. I avoid armor all because it contains silicone. A303 is my choice protectant!
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use Simoniz Spray Shine, use it on the tires and the wheels. Stays on for a long time and when brake dust builds up you can spray it off with water.
Unread 04-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
AudioGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw
I use Simoniz Spray Shine, use it on the tires and the wheels. Stays on for a long time and when brake dust builds up you can spray it off with water.
HIJACK: What kind of dog is that in your avatar?

Unread 04-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
ajmcedar
1999 WJ 

Quote:
what an instigator, BTW, I think that goes for the rest of the Jeep, right Chris?
Unread 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #13
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczyk
Armor All is petroleum based thus it will eventually dry out your tires, dash, and other plastic or rubber parts you put it on.

Not to be a D*** but arent your tires petroleum based themselves? I mean that's where we get rubber isn't it?
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuru
HIJACK: What kind of dog is that in your avatar?
HIJACK REPLY: A 1.5 year old Yellow Lab, all 130lbs of him.
Unread 04-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
00Cherokee+98Z

I do detailing and the best stuff i've found is black magic trim and tire shine in a squeeze bottle. It's a silicone based liquid, not a spray or foam. i hand apply it with a foam applicator and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. it looks a hell of a lot better than the spray stuff and it doesn't get all over everything from spraying it everywhere . its by far the wettest looking, blackest stuff you can put on.

also, i've been using it for quite awhile, and i've never found any damaging effects from it. it's also not greasy at all as long as you take off the excess after applying.
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.