Aquarium Forum? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Aquarium Forum?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
percent20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aquarium Forum?

I am wanting to get an aquarium, not sure what type. I know nothing about them, at all. I would like to learn, but not sure what a good forum, or reading content, to start learning.

Any suggestions on a forum, or stuff to read?

percent20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by percent20 View Post
I am wanting to get an aquarium, not sure what type. I know nothing about them, at all. I would like to learn, but not sure what a good forum, or reading content, to start learning.

Any suggestions on a forum, or stuff to read?

I guess I can be Jeep Forum's resident aquarium expert.

Any ways, really you have to decide if you want salt water (difficult) or fresh water (good for beginners). Then you have to decide what type of fish you would like. Then google "(Fish name) Forum" and then bam. Lots of info.

I have a few fancy goldfish. (Not your normal goldfish) and some cichlids. I am a member of a kokos goldfish forum, and some other cichlid forum. There are forums for pretty much any type of fish. Just like car forums.

But you can shoot some questions my way to see what kind of fish you want to start with, and then I can help you from there! And then you can find a forum and get a bunch of detailed info.

( I also worked at petco for a while, and went through 8 weeks of training on fish. I know quite a lot)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Indy

Saltwater isn't any harder than fresh, it can be easier imo. It just takes a bit longer to get set up especially considering the water parameters if you want to go full on sps reef. But for basic fish only, easy as pie.

www.aquariumadvice.com is one of the places I did a bunch of reading at back in the day.

Aquariums are neat, but seeing things in their natural environment is neater

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Saltwater isn't any harder than fresh, it can be easier imo. It just takes a bit longer to get set up especially considering the water parameters if you want to go full on sps reef. But for basic fish only, easy as pie.

www.aquariumadvice.com is one of the places I did a bunch of reading at back in the day.

Agreed, but to get someone starting into aquariums its usually easier and way cheaper to start with fresh.

Unread 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to have to second the advice to visit www.aquariumadvice.com. It is where I started in 2006, and without the people there, I would have crashed and burned. I've had aquariums consistently since then, and now the only forum I visit is www.plantedtank.net (I keep live plants). Once you get out of the beginner realm, AA gets kind of annoying. I would research African cichlid if you want a very vibrant, colorful, and "high energy" aquarium. I used to have a 72 gallon with Africans, and really miss them.

Like Pinky has stated, feel free to ask questions here on JF. There are a handful of us who are highly experienced in fish keeping!
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I'm going to have to second the advice to visit www.aquariumadvice.com. It is where I started in 2006, and without the people there, I would have crashed and burned. I've had aquariums consistently since then, and now the only forum I visit is www.plantedtank.net (I keep live plants). Once you get out of the beginner realm, AA gets kind of annoying. I would research African cichlid if you want a very vibrant, colorful, and "high energy" aquarium. I used to have a 72 gallon with Africans, and really miss them.
My african Cichlids are crazy little ****ers. They are a lot of fun to watch. The goldy tank on the other hand... Those are some lazy fish. But they are very pretty.

Unread 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
My african Cichlids are crazy little ****ers. They are a lot of fun to watch. The goldy tank on the other hand... Those are some lazy fish. But they are very pretty.
Yeah, my tank of Malawian's was the best thing to watch. I had a "cookie-cutter setup" with a mix of Acei and Yellow Labs. The most fun was watching my Acei court each other (wasn't so fun watching fry get eaten)

Here is a photo of my old tank (took it down in 2009):

And here is "Big Purple". Man, I miss these fish!

Unread 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
percent20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses guys. I just did some reading on aquarium advice and my head is spinning with all the information. Sometimes I hate learning new things, lol. I will keep reading and ask questions where I need to.

I was wanting to see about starting with a 50 gallon tank, from reading it sounds like bigger tanks like that are good for beginners since it can stay stable longer? is this correct?
percent20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What about mantis shrimp?

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

People generally say that larger tanks are better for beginners due to there being "less room for error". I disagree with this statement; I feel as if there is just as much room for error in a large tank as there is a small tank. When they say this, they are generally referring to toxins that build up as by-products from the nitrogen cycle, or minimizing the effects of accidentally overstocking (which again results in toxin buildup). With that being said, before anything, I highly recommend reading about the Nitrogen Cycle, particularly in a closed ecosystem such as an aquarium. I think you should start with a 40 breeder. It is the perfect size, in my opinion. Or, go for a 55 gallon. Starting at one of these sizes will allow you greater freedom in species choice as well as your total fish capacity.

One of the most important things to know is that, while many have done it in the past, simply filling your new tank up with water and plopping in 40 fish really isn't the way to go. I highly recommend reading about fishless cycling as well. What you're doing here is basically getting all of the nitrifying bacteria established (those that take part in nitrogen cycling) so that they can accomodate your new fish down the road, without allowing waste by-products (NH3, NO2, NO3 [not so much]) to cause any harm.

I'm sure this sounds really confusing, but try starting with those two things and go from there.
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Indy

I'd disagree with your disagreement The biggest advantage imo of the larger tank is you have more time to catch an issue and respond to it than you do with a nano. A dead fish in a 1g can nuke a tank in a few hours, in a 55 it may take a week before the water gets bad enough to be toxic to basic animals. If a nano heater fails you have fish-cicles pretty quick, a 55 can probably last a night. The potential problems are the same regardless of the tank size, just how quick you have to act changes. A more experienced person will likely see a problem and respond to it quicker than a new person would be. Just lack of experience.

Fishless cycling is the way I like to do things but it definitely requires more patience before you have critters moving around. The tank I just started took over a month or so of me dropping ammonia into it. $1 for the chemicals but quite a bit of time before I started stocking it.

Look how clean it is before it really gets started!

Now there's bugs all over, algae...

Unread 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the fastest cycle I ever had was 9 days using seed material. I haven't used pure ammonia to cycle a tank in well over a year, since I just silent cycle by heavily planting right from the start (soil leaches ammonia). Then, I add fish 3 weeks after.
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Indy

Not a bad way to go. My first salt tank used live mollies back before I'd done as much research. Tank after that took a couple weeks at most since I transplanted 50 or so pounds of live rock over into it. Lots of folks start theirs with a full set of live rock and sand, you're pretty much ready to go an a day or so once the PH stabilizes but that's several hundred dollars for rock alone. I'm cheap and buy dead and dry for the start and throw a piece or two of seed material after a couple weeks. That knocks off a little time, but not much. This one was from scratch so no seed material to be had, it was a long haul.

My next tank will be after I move in a few years, and probably at least a few hundred gallons. That will be an adventure to not only build but get up and running. If things go correctly though I'll be able to have it up and going then just transplant everything over.

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
nwiTJdave

I'd like to get an aqaurium, and Ill be honest, I know very little. What do you all think this set up is worth? http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/bar/4277486917.html

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Indy

Maybe $250.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.