apples to oranges - need advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > apples to oranges - need advice

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer
PS: Much better ways to go fast then in a Mustang.
That's true. Get a crotch rocket and save a ton of cash and maybe still have the JK too.

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

http://www.farmschool.com/albc/ALBC_...gHorse_jpg.htm

This is the only mustang I would take off road everythign else I will leave to the JK. And as for which vehicle as a true Jeeper I will only ever drive Jeeps. I think its become away of life for me.
Scotty
CGScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
rawblue
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can't exactly remember when, but, since the very early stage of my boyhood, WRANGLER has always been one of my dream cars. Mustang wasn't. Especially 08 GT...
rawblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
roadrunner2348
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my personal view on this matter, since I'm in a similar situation. Some reasons may not work in your case but I think another persons perspective may help. My dad had his midlife crisis two years ago and bought a 2006 Mustang GT. Its a great car and is a lot of fun to drive, in small doses. Anyway he offered to sell it to me when he decides to either loose his need for speed, or get something faster. That left me with this choice, buy the mustang or a new JK when I have the money. For me it wasn't a very hard one for a two reasons.

the main reason was I like wheelin and as someone mentioned mustangs suck offroad, but we'll ignore that since it doesn't apply in your case.

The other reason is that you really can't enjoy the mustang unless you can take it to the drag strip or autox (I personally have no interest in either). Otherwise its like getting a cake but not being able to eat it. You can get to 100mph pretty quick but where outside of the track are you really going to be able to do that without haveing a very good chance at getting a ticket? Or worse putting yourself or someone else in danger?
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Keep the Jeep!
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
faster_dad

Having owned a 'Stang many years ago, I can tell you they are pretty much "one trick ponies". The V8 rumble and acceleration are nice, but the thrill wears off pretty quickly especially as a daily driver. Soon after buying it you would be "jaded" and looking for ways to make it louder and/or faster. Even if you're thinking of going to the track or AX'ing, there are much better choices than a Mustang.

Good luck...

Stock, but not for long
faster_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Forget emotional reasons. Look at it from a logical financial perspective. The JK is worth more and the longer you had both vehicles, the longer you kept both of them, the more of a difference in value there would be between them. Can you figure out which one will be worth more in 10 years? There is your answer.

Besides, who says you can't go fast in the JK?
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
Forget emotional reasons. Look at it from a logical financial perspective. The JK is worth more and the longer you had both vehicles, the longer you kept both of them, the more of a difference in value there would be between them. Can you figure out which one will be worth more in 10 years? There is your answer.

Besides, who says you can't go fast in the JK?
agree (in my head).
emotions vs. logic.. huh...but if it was not for emotional reasons, we would all be driving used 5yr old low mileage corollas/accords etc. for their practicality and bang for the buck
i think I need to watch more of those 4x4 videos on youtube and take a trip to Moab to get back into the Jeep mindset
tlpvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #24
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingJohn
I would go to the lot with my JK and drive right over the top of the mustang Crushing it flat. Then I would back up over it again further crushing it.
then i would have to buy it for sure
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #25
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog
I see. Well, the solution to this is clear. Rent a Mustang for a week. Go out and collect your tickets, and then go back to the JK (:
i don't think manual gt's are available rent.
a reality check would be a good thing though. maybe i should ask for a 24hr testdrive.

alternatively, i see 3 choices:
a) trade the jk for mustang and find a used tj for under 5k$ and mod the heck out of it
b) keep the jk and find a used v8 mustang/camaro for under 5k$ and mod the heck out of it
c) be happy with what i have and stop wishing for more ways to spend my har earned money
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Two things to consider:

1) It's a Ford
2) 33's would rub like mad!

Get the Jeep. Or buy mine cheap (link in the sig) and swap a 5.0 into it. Last decent engine Ford made IMO anyway.
Unread 01-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #27
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

I got rid of this

And ended up with this

Keep the Jeep. Heck that even rhymes.
Unread 01-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #28
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

where do u live, i love the GT's but in NY it snows, wrangler is the only practical convertible

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #29
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Easy call, trade in the POS explorer for the stang. In my house rule number 1 is, get up first, drive first. I have 2 harleys, a buell, 300C(heavy mods) and my 4 door JK. Nice summer day- bike, Nice winter day-Jeep, wake up cranky and feel like driving 100 to work-300C, and as a bonus I always drive so anytime we go anywhere, I ask the kids if they want to tear A$$ or rip dirt, top up or top down. EASY
Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #30
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=tlpvt]hi guys/gals,
he says if i wanted to, he would EXCHANGE it with no additional $$$ for my 08 jk x QUOTE]

This alone should be a big red flag. Take a similar mustang and go to a Jeep lot to see if you could get this reciprocated. I doubt there's even a chance. Granted, they have a "new" body style, but its a mustang. Soon enough, they'll be the same old unreliable, low resale value cars that all its predicesors were.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.