apples to oranges - need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > apples to oranges - need advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
tlpvt

apples to oranges - need advice

hi guys/gals,
this maybe kinda OT for this great forum - but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask... please don't bash me
a friend working at a local ford dealership told me they just got a black 07 mustang gt premium, 5spd manual, with ~6kmiles, 18' stock chrome rims, totally perfect condition, never tuned/messed with. he says if i wanted to, he would EXCHANGE it with no additional $$$ for my 08 jk x (2kmiles, softtop, a/c and 255/75R17 are only options, msrp$21,065). kbb for the mustang is about 24k$ now.
so i went to check it out, liked it very much, and now i am confused and disoriented
I realize that wrangler and V8 mustang gt are totally different animals and each is great for what it is.

i want to have both, but i can't

just wanted to get some opinions - what would you guys do? hoping to get some meaningful comments/arguments - thanks in advance.

p.s. the wrangler is my DD and our other vehicle is 04 explorer xlt which of course is a far cry from the wrangler offroad, but with the wife and 2 kids i wasn't gonna do anything hardcore anyway, so the explorer will probably still cover 90% our offroading/camping/fishing needs, but on the other hand without the wrangler will never get on more serious trails... confused...

tlpvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
JeepingJohn

I would go to the lot with my JK and drive right over the top of the mustang Crushing it flat. Then I would back up over it again further crushing it.
JeepingJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Again FTW......
38.jpg  
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mustangs suck off road. Don't ask me how I know.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Having driven both, I can say that I would still choose the JK over the stang. Don't get me wrong, the Mustang is fun to drive, but in my opinion, it is only fun to drive straight. I don't think that it is a performace car (in terms of handling curves and such), and neither is the JK...BUT...for a daily driver, you can't take the top off of the stang, you can't park it up on curb, you can only think about what it would be like to drive THROUGH the field you are passing...not that you are that likely to actually drive through the field, but at least you would have the choice.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
swoll50
2008 JK Wrangler 

jk and gt were the two vehicles i went back and forth with when i was buying. i ultimately went with the jeep because i could get a brand new 08 for the price of a used GT.

as much as i love my new jeep, had i been able to order a GT for the same price then Id be on the Corral right now instead.

2008 Wrangler X - Steel Blue 3.73 - 6-speed - 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme MTs - Olympic 4X4 Rock bumper - 2" XD Series BB

Blue Jeep Club Member #254
swoll50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you wanted a Mustang, why didn't you buy one in the first place?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjeepkj
Having driven both, I can say that I would still choose the JK over the stang. Don't get me wrong, the Mustang is fun to drive, but in my opinion, it is only fun to drive straight. I don't think that it is a performace car (in terms of handling curves and such), and neither is the JK...BUT...for a daily driver, you can't take the top off of the stang, you can't park it up on curb, you can only think about what it would be like to drive THROUGH the field you are passing...not that you are that likely to actually drive through the field, but at least you would have the choice.
i hear you.
we all have our moments of weakness... being pushed in the seat when you rev it in 2nd gear going 30 to 60mph is one of them.
damn.. why don't i have more money to afford both toys?
probly there are alot more opportunities out there to enjoy the jeep than the are for the mustang (legally)
i need to convince myself that speed is bad
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog
If you wanted a Mustang, why didn't you buy one in the first place?
i was going back and forth when i was deciding what nonpractical toy vehicle to get for _MY_ personal enjoyment, and i went with the jeep. figured i could actually use it for its purpose, unlike the mustang which would make me drive like a maniac whenever the road ahead is clear of traffic and collecting tickets
now the old flames about the speed are coming back...
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
k8e
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you are planning on keeping it forever, go with the Mustang. For resale value, I'd stick with the JK... I think if you're only planning on keeping either one for a few years you'd be dumb to ditch the Jeep. Mustangs are kinda like *******s, however...

<--- traded her mustang for a JK. I'll always have a soft spot for them.
k8e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
motor_car
2010 JK Wrangler 

One thing the JK and Stang have in common is a solid rear axle....LOL
motor_car is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpvt
i was going back and forth when i was deciding what nonpractical toy vehicle to get for _MY_ personal enjoyment, and i went with the jeep. figured i could actually use it for its purpose, unlike the mustang which would make me drive like a maniac whenever the road ahead is clear of traffic and collecting tickets
now the old flames about the speed are coming back...
I see. Well, the solution to this is clear. Rent a Mustang for a week. Go out and collect your tickets, and then go back to the JK (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
FatBuoy

Speaking for myself, I gave up the Stangs, Vettes, Bimmers, etc. For the money saved on tickets, lawyers and defensive driving a modded Jeep is a drop in the bucket. (Not to mention the safety to others and myself because it eventually catches up to you) I guess it all depends on your self control, luck and the poh-lease in your area. I had zero self control and was driving to work at 100mph every day. Reality check for me. But I do have to admit, I sure miss the speed!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingJohn
I would go to the lot with my JK and drive right over the top of the mustang Crushing it flat. Then I would back up over it again further crushing it.
Oh, dude.....
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Bouncer
2008 JK Wrangler 

re: Mustang or JK

How can you jump back and forth from a Mustang and a JK?! Two different animals depending on how your middle age crisis takes you.

Always wanted a TJ now JK and only thing that stopped me was the price.

PS: Much better ways to go fast then in a Mustang.

Bouncer
Silver 08 Sahara 2DR
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.