Apostrophes... why do some people use them so improperly, even to make a word plural? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Apostrophes... why do some people use them so improperly, even to make a word plural?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Apostrophes... why do some people use them so improperly, even to make a word plural?

Rant-on.

I'm not normally an open member of the Grammar Patrol but I just read another post that finally got to me... where an unnamed member recently said "I know everyone love's photos". I quietly editted his post and removed the offending apostrophe without saying anything.

What is it about the apostrophe that makes so many think it needs to be in front of every S that comes at the end of a word? The apostrophe was not meant to serve as a warning that the next letter is an S.

There are only TWO correct uses for the apostrophe... 1) to show that there are missing letters (a contraction) like "It's a major job" instead of saying "It is a major job" and 2) to show possession... like "That is Robert's Jeep". An apostrophe should NEVER be used to show there is more than one of something... like you should never say "I bought four tire's".

Great examples below of when NOT to use an apostrophe...

Simple plural words are used below... which do NOT need an apostrophe as are so commonly used...

How many amp's will my winch draw under heavy load?
I have a bag full of bolt's.
I used a lot of Grade 5 nut's and bolt's for my recent build.

Good examples of when to use apostrophes...

These apostrophes show possession:
My Jeep's suspension is awesome.
My girlfriend's Jeep needs a suspension lift.
My air conditioner's compressor needs help.

Or for contractions, like when a letter is skipped or to make the word sound like it is pronounced...
It's time to leave for school.
It's a valid reason for refusing to do so.
I'm a total Jeep fanatic.
Don't go there.

But you would not use an apostrophe for a similar sounding word...
My Jeep and its suspension work well together.
The airplane uses its landing gear to avoid damage when landing.

You can optionally add a possessive apostrophe in the above AFTER the S to also indicate possession. Either is acceptable, with or without the apostrophe.
My Jeep and its' suspension work well together.
The airplane uses its' landing gear to avoid damage when landing.

A good writeup on all this is at How to Use Apostrophes - wikiHow

Far too frequent improper use of the apostrophe just a pet peeve of mine... much like using the word "breaks" when actually talking about "brakes". I often correct posts when I see such errors without even mentioning it. One of the fun benefits of being a mod.

Rant-off.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
btoohey44
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
much like using the word "breaks" when actually talking about "brakes".
The break's one always kill's me.

Sorry, but I do feel your pain. The loose/lose issue is another one that bothers me, not sure why but it does.
btoohey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
MFortie

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I tend to use apostrophes incorrectly (on purpose) when writing about plural items that are acronyms or abbreviations, i.e., "I just bought a set of BFG's.", instead of "I just bought a set of BFGs." Or "The dealer had seven '98 TJ's on the lot..."

For some reason it bugs me to see a string of consonants without a vowel and the apostrophe 'fixes' that in my mind. I know it's incorrect (see, apostrophes are used in contractions as well), but I do it anyway...
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
I tend to use apostrophes incorrectly (on purpose) when writing about plural items that are acronyms or abbreviations, i.e., "I just bought a set of BFG's.", instead of "I just bought a set of BFGs." Or "The dealer had seven '98 TJ's on the lot..."

For some reason it bugs me to see a string of consonants without a vowel and the apostrophe 'fixes' that in my mind. I know it's incorrect (see, apostrophes are used in contractions as well), but I do it anyway...
I don't think that is improper. I was taught that is the way to do plural acronyms.
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
SlackJawedYokel
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, great adviSe on the use of apostrophes. You didn't happen to go to a Catholic school did you?

The apostrophe errors can be annoying, but IMHO, not nearly as bad as spelling and puctuation errors. Really, at least make effort when you're (contraction, proper use of apostrophe) attempting to communicate in your native language.
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJawedYokel View Post
Jerry, great adviSe on the use of apostrophes. You didn't happen to go to a Catholic school did you?

The apostrophe errors can be annoying, but IMHO, not nearly as bad as spelling and puctuation errors. Really, at least make effort when you're (contraction, proper use of apostrophe) attempting to communicate in your native language.
Nope, no Catholic school... just the usual basic public school education upbringing for me.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jerry you are too old to be sweatin' the small stuff.

It drives me nuts when people put an 's' on the end of words that never get one, like 'anyway' or 'long way'.
But I gave up worrying about it after some extensive counseling. My therapist says to just take a deep breath and touch my finger to my thumb, close my eyes and exhale slowly. It doesn't work. So when I punched my therapist I felt much better.
Moral? Go punch somebody in the face, then relax.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Misspelling of simple words that may or may not sound like another are my peeve. As in "What size yolks are in my drive shaft?" If it's a double cardan joint, it must be a double yolked egg. I had a foreman that misspelled 'screens' three times, three different ways in the same half page report (real creative). Bolts= boalts.
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

com on' jerry u dont lik teh ways i tipe ? y cant u undurstnd em sry im txtn fom ym fon

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, you're officially a nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
MrNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I think I'm ju'st going to 'start putting an apo'strophe in front of every 's I type. That's where we're heading, 'so I might a's well 'start getting 'some practice in.
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Jerry you are too old to be sweatin' the small stuff.

It drives me nuts when people put an 's' on the end of words that never get one, like 'anyway' or 'long way'.
But I gave up worrying about it after some extensive counseling. My therapist says to just take a deep breath and touch my finger to my thumb, close my eyes and exhale slowly. It doesn't work. So when I punched my therapist I felt much better.
Moral? Go punch somebody in the face, then relax.
He was TOO old a few years ago also when he started a thread about the same thing. I agree Jerry needs to take his frustration out on something or someone.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/ap...s-next-635782/
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post

I do this all the time, with acronyms,numbers, and occasionally with proper nouns, if the "s" on the end would lead to confusion and I can't figure a way to avoid it. "One Revo 2; A set of Revo 2's"

Drives me nuts to do it, but if the purpose of language and grammar is to effect communication, and "proper" grammar introduces ambiguity, the "proper" form should be rejected for the "right" form.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Often times, I think folks see these type errors and copy or duplicate those same errors thinking its okay.

I would bet that a large portion of the same people who did poorly in their english & spelling classes are large offenders of the misuse of apostrophes.

I do recall Rik having something in his sig concerning the use of anyway(s).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
mrcustom
2004 TJ Wrangler 

who cares. You get what they say some people don't have the education some do but you know what they mean. Lucky it not in text lingo...
mrcustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.