Anyone work at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Anyone work at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center?

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone work at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center?

I have a job interview lined up for an meat/produce order filler. Starting pay is $16.10/hr, which is almost 6 dollars more than I'm making now. The only downside is that it's a 45 minute commute one way, so I would have to get another vehicle to use as a DD. Also I'm not exactly fond of the Friday-Monday 3pm-12am hours, but I could get used to it. I've heard its hard work, but I'm used to it. I work 10 hour days now for $10/hr stocking frozen food at a grocery store. Anyone got any experience working at a walmart distro center? Any advice on what to expect? Thanks!

SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
ZX14Rider
2008 JK Wrangler 

Never worked at one myself but have hauled many loads into Wally World, the workers I have chatted with all seemed pretty happy...I think it would be a good move on your part IMO...

Where at Woodland, PA dist center ??
ZX14Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Seems like a good job as long as the benefits are there as well. It's not union is it?

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
BrendonR

Not walmart - but Westfair Foods (big chain up in Canada).

I was a produce picker/packer - sounds like the same job you'll be doing.

it is VERY hard work, but let me tell you, after a couple months there, i was in the best shape of my life. Basically you're lifting orange/onion/potato bags all day and packing them into 5-6 foot tall pallets.

Downside is definitly hours, and due to the nature of the buisiness (unless you have a 24 hour operation with 3 shifts, we didn't), you stay until all orders are filled - it doesn't matter if it was an hour OT, or 6.

Other downside were the coolers. One of the coolers will definitly be a "wet" cooler, where all partially frozen/wet veggies are kept.... that one SUCKED POOP! I practically had a constant cold while I was working.

BUT, the upside is.... you can feel free to cancel your gym membership - you won't need it anymore.

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
It's not union is it?
HAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry, I worked for Walmart. If you even THINK the word "Union" anywhere near Walmart you can hear their buttholes pucker up from 100 miles away. They have a reaction team that will swoop in and "deal with" anyone talking about unionizing. So no, it most definitely is NOT union. Never will be so long as Walmart is in charge. Or buying from whomever is in charge. Walmart is so anti-union it's funny.

Anything to do with Walmart as an employee looks good on the outside, but everything about the place eventually just saps the life out of you. It may take a couple years, but eventually you'll be looking for somewhere else to work.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Focus on that pay raise and keep the jeep-zen mindset while you work.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry, I worked for Walmart. If you even THINK the word "Union" anywhere near Walmart you can hear their buttholes pucker up from 100 miles away. They have a reaction team that will swoop in and "deal with" anyone talking about unionizing. So no, it most definitely is NOT union. Never will be so long as Walmart is in charge. Or buying from whomever is in charge. Walmart is so anti-union it's funny.

Anything to do with Walmart as an employee looks good on the outside, but everything about the place eventually just saps the life out of you. It may take a couple years, but eventually you'll be looking for somewhere else to work.
I didn't know if their distribution centers were different or not.

Funny story though - the Wal-Mart "Great Value" brand is made by the Kroger Co. We get mispicks with that stuff sometimes and have to send it back. :P

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mwl View Post
Never worked at one myself but have hauled many loads into Wally World, the workers I have chatted with all seemed pretty happy...I think it would be a good move on your part IMO...

Where at Woodland, PA dist center ??
Thanks, that's good to hear. And its the Bedford, PA dist center. The hard physical labor doesn't bother me at all. I love it. It makes the time go fast, plus keeps you in shape. I'd rather have a job like that than be sitting behind a desk all day.
SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

My brother works at one and from my gathering he likes it over his last job which had him sitting at a desk all day. He work Fri. Sat. Sun. nights and that allows him to be home with his daughter during the week while his wife works. So it works REALLY well for him on that front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.