Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Anyone want to recommend me a good bass?

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  RedHotChiliDog 
#1 ·
Before you say wrong section, let me just say that I did put it in the correct section except there really isn't much action there and I really want some opinions!

Anyway, my birthday is coming up (feb.26!) and I'm making my list (of probably just two or three things) and one of them I was thinking of was a bass for my Jeep. I have an Alpine Deck and Infinity speakers but I still have a stock base. I really do not want to buy a new center console if I can avoid it, but I want high quality without a high price (so keep it under $400, but cheaper the better!). If it helps any I listen to rock mostly, occasional rap but 99% of the time I listen to Nine Inch Nails.

#9 ·
I saw what you did there......;)

You're evil.....:devil:

Max :cheers2:

#11 ·
When I was heavy into the modding of cars. I always like infinity and diamond.

It has been a couple yrs out of the scene so things may have changed, but I LOVED my infinity system with an alpine or pioneer header.

#14 ·
Dude today I just bought a Massive Audio Nano Block N2. Its 1600 watt peak and 800 RMS and the best part is that its tiny! The dimensions roughly are 7"x5"x2". It's pushing a MTX 10" Jackhammer and I bought it all for less than 300 dollars. A system tuned right will sound good with any music you listen to.

#15 ·
That still isn't specific enough. If you want to do things right, explain the following:

-Where do you want it to go?
-Do you want bass or 'thump'?
-Do you care about sound quality or volume?
-soft top? top up or down? hard top?

As for myself, I have dual 8" JL subs behind my back seat in an enclosure I made. It works great, even with the top down doing 65+ on the highway.

#19 ·
Well I would like to get a high volume but quality is definetly a must, because a ****ty bass is one thing that can ruin a song, expecially one by NIN. And being that I live in Michigan, it must work with all tops and with none at all. I want a bass but thumps would be nice too I guess. I guess Im looking for a super bass/subwoofer with all of the above but at a good price. I obviously don't know much about bass/subwoofers because I barely know any of the terminology! I'll list a few songs by NIN so you guys will have a better idea of what Im looking for. Songs that obviously have alot of bass!

-The Great Destroyer
-Zero-Sum
-Meet Your Master
-Only
-Where is Everybody?

Thanks for the help btw!

#16 ·
not to hijack, but does anyone remember those CD's you could buy that were specifically designed to max out your bass in your car? I remember one of the songs being, "Welcome to bass bass bass, Welcome to bass." Anyone ever heard that? It hit so hard I thought my cahones were going to fall off. It was great.

Ok, back to thread.

#20 ·
Yup, we used to use them in sound-offs. Stuff would break off of peoples rides due to the vibrations from the subs and the dbs. You would always see people sitting on peoples trunks to help keep it in.

Oh I miss car shows and sound-offs.

#24 ·
O.P., I have a 12" Toxik Audio subwoofer and amp, and all the wiring it needs. All are in great condition, and I will sell them to you for $200 including shipping. I took it out of my XJ when I sold it.

#29 ·
I thought you wanted a bass, as in a bass guitar such as Fender or Ibanez.

After reading the thread, apparently you want a subwoofer.

I like Infinity for highs and mids, but I never had good experience with their subs. There are plenty of crazy expensive brands out there and things that will rattle the parts off of your Jeep, but if you want something reasonably priced and makes drums sound like drums instead of like someone making a farting noise with their mouth, take a look at JBL. I find the JBL subs have a sound to them that reminds me of Marshall stacks.

I love my JBL sub in my JK. It's a 10", but it is very very deep with a heavy duty metal frame that makes it seem much larger. It hits hard when it needs to and and is subtle when it needs to be. It sounds great with all music.

Here is a picture of a 10" Infinity Sub that I initially bought but then returned compared to the 10" JBL that replaced the Infinity. You need to move air for a sub to be effective, which is why those ultra shallow mount subs generally are mediocre at best.

Attachments

#30 ·
thanks for the response! It sounds like JBL is what I might be looking for, but would it be possible for it to fit in a TJ Console if I removed the stock subwoofer? Like I said earlier, I honestly have no idea what Im talking about so if JF can hold my hand through this it would be really appreciated! :laugh:

#32 ·
there is one sub i know of tht can be used with the stock amplifier and that is a little pyrimd or somehting. the problem with the stock is that it is only 75 watts at one ohm. that equals 37.5 watts at 2 ohms and 18.75 watts. that isnt much at all which is why it is advisable to get a new amp that matches with the sub you want. if you want it to fit in the factory box you will be limited to an 8" at the largest. you will also want to add a piece of MDF on the font piece as a bare minimum to mount it to so you at least have a solid mounting surface. i recommend fiber glassing the entire interior in addition to the front piece of mdf so you can seal it off nicely and get the maximum airspace available in the tiny spot.

but if you want to do it better make your self a little mdf box behind the rear seat so you can get a larger sub, both diameter and also power/voice coil size. you will appreciate having it when you want it. always easier to turn it down than to turn up something that isnt there. it just takes a little mdf, some basic tools and a little calculating to get the correct air volume. you will want it down firing as well which means you need to raise it off the ground a few inches, i recommend at least 3". sealed is the way to go, especially in a tiny jeep and since you say you want quality.

as far as the sub itself goes if you want good sound quality expect to pay for it. JL makes really good stuff but it is expensive to say the least. i personally like alpine, good mix of quality with a little loudness behind it. i personally run a 10" type x and it has great sound quality but it can bang pretty well too.

the best thing is to go to your local audio shops and take a listen to various subs they have in their rooms and find one that you like the sound of. no point in buying something on the net if it tuns out you hate it.

then once you find that sub get an amp to match, doesnt have to be the best amp in the world, but i will tell you to avoid cheap ones such as boss because they are crap. no way around it. i will tell you too not to get the best in the world because it is a jeep and has alot of potential to be easily stolen.

Look used or remanufactured if you want to save some change. but a price range will really help us narrow down your choices and gain a little more insight in to what suits your needs best. and there are alot of write ups and installs in the electronics section. dig.

#33 ·
there is one sub i know of tht can be used with the stock amplifier and that is a little pyrimd or somehting. the problem with the stock is that it is only 75 watts at one ohm. that equals 37.5 watts at 2 ohms and 18.75 watts. that isnt much at all which is why it is advisable to get a new amp that matches with the sub you want. if you want it to fit in the factory box you will be limited to an 8" at the largest. you will also want to add a piece of MDF on the font piece as a bare minimum to mount it to so you at least have a solid mounting surface. i recommend fiber glassing the entire interior in addition to the front piece of mdf so you can seal it off nicely and get the maximum airspace available in the tiny spot.

but if you want to do it better make your self a little mdf box behind the rear seat so you can get a larger sub, both diameter and also power/voice coil size. you will appreciate having it when you want it. always easier to turn it down than to turn up something that isnt there. it just takes a little mdf, some basic tools and a little calculating to get the correct air volume. you will want it down firing as well which means you need to raise it off the ground a few inches, i recommend at least 3". sealed is the way to go, especially in a tiny jeep and since you say you want quality.

as far as the sub itself goes if you want good sound quality expect to pay for it. JL makes really good stuff but it is expensive to say the least. i personally like alpine, good mix of quality with a little loudness behind it. i personally run a 10" type x and it has great sound quality but it can bang pretty well too.

the best thing is to go to your local audio shops and take a listen to various subs they have in their rooms and find one that you like the sound of. no point in buying something on the net if it tuns out you hate it.

then once you find that sub get an amp to match, doesnt have to be the best amp in the world, but i will tell you to avoid cheap ones such as boss because they are crap. no way around it. i will tell you too not to get the best in the world because it is a jeep and has alot of potential to be easily stolen.

Look used or remanufactured if you want to save some change. but a price range will really help us narrow down your choices and gain a little more insight in to what suits your needs best. and there are alot of write ups and installs in the electronics section. dig.
Yeah I guess I'll hit up a few places this weekend but as far as stuff being stolen goes, my speakers are set up so you basically can't tell they are infinity because I just put them where the stocks went so people can't tell and thats how I want it to be with the subwoofer. I say price range is up to $400 but I can probs go a little higher than that like say $600. I'll just visit some stores and look around and report back here after I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.