anyone scuba dive?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > anyone scuba dive??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
ozjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

anyone scuba dive??

I really would love to get certified. What all does it take to get certified?? Like tests and classes and stuff. How much does it generally cost? We have a scuba shop around here, i'm gonna check it out one of these days.

Unread 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, been scuba diving since '71 and I just got my 15 year old son certified late last year. The class takes a week or two and consists of lecture and pool sessions. Then you'll have 2-3 beach dives and then you will receive your certification card. Then you are a "Certified Beginner" which means you better watch your a$$ for the next bunch of dives because scuba divers get into trouble all the time by pushing their limits too far too fast. Scuba diving is basically a very safe sport if you do as you are instructed and NEVER EVER DIVE ALONE OR STRAY FROM YOUR DIVE BUDDY but it's decidedly unsafe if you take risks or believe you are invincible.

Enjoy... don't buy your gear until after you are certified because only then will you really know what you want, like, and need. Have a ball, it's a very fun sport!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I got certified a few years ago...it is fun but is a pretty expensive sport I think...at least for how rarely I go. I bought a BCD last year and haven't used it since I think the classes were like $400 including certification...
Unread 03-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'm taking my open water classes early this summer and then completing my certification in June in the Bahamas.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

my parents got me certified to dive when i was 15. we were on vacation in the florida keys. i think the classes were only like 3-4 days. there was a couple pool dives and then an open water dive, along with some classes. Spent the rest of that month diving along the keys, from Key Largo to Key West. It was an awesome month. scuba diving is AWESOME. unfortunately i havent been since i was 15, and im 21 now. im gonna take another class soon though and try to dive somewhere this summer.
Unread 03-09-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
mk20rockeye
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I am sure you would love every minute of it. I got certified over in Japan while I was stationed there. I totally agree with what Jerry said, watch your 6. I found it very hard to stay within limits after I got certified. I went right after, within a month and got my advance certification. Then I became certified for dives to 120 feet, night dives, boat dives, and a couple of other things. Now I have no concern to speak of with going and doing something a bit more fun. ohhh, and if you do decide to buy gear. Buy your expensive stuff last and used......like your BCD, regulator and what not....my .02 anyway

1992 XJ Laredo 4.0L, AW4, NP242, 3.5" RE super ride
Definity Dakota 31x10.50 MT's Cragar soft 8

Marine Corps Jeep club member #9
mk20rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did mine in College two semesters ago. the whole class too the entire semester complete with certifying dives in lake Tahoe, in April......when it was SNOWING. Water temp was a balmy 36 degrees, and we dove wetsuits I will never complain about anything being cold in my life after that experience. It was just brutal, but I loved every minute of it!!
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Yep, been scuba diving since '71 and I just got my 15 year old son certified late last year. The class takes a week or two and consists of lecture and pool sessions. Then you'll have 2-3 beach dives and then you will receive your certification card. Then you are a "Certified Beginner" which means you better watch your a$$ for the next bunch of dives because scuba divers get into trouble all the time by pushing their limits too far too fast. Scuba diving is basically a very safe sport if you do as you are instructed and NEVER EVER DIVE ALONE OR STRAY FROM YOUR DIVE BUDDY but it's decidedly unsafe if you take risks or believe you are invincible.

Enjoy... don't buy your gear until after you are certified because only then will you really know what you want, like, and need. Have a ball, it's a very fun sport!

That's one of the things that fascinates me so much about diving. It's simply amazing how many different ways you can die
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
Grady

Learned to dive when I lived in Guam. Now I live near Malibu Ca and haven't dove since. Got so used to the clear warm waters of the islands, not sure I want to dive around here.
guam34.jpg  

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #3
USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm advanced Open water certified thru PADI and plan on continuing through Rescue Diver, taking specialties, etc. If you get your cert, go with a professional agency (PADI, NAUI, SSI). Their programs are similar and are recognized around the world.

Take your time to read, study, and UNDERSTAND what is happening. It is more than just blowing bubbles underwater.

It is an incredible world down there, whether you dive during the day or night. But you must be prepared and not do anything stupid.

My wife accidentally brushed against a line underwater on our first dive in Bonaire. She just BARELY brushed it and didn't have an exposure suit/skin on. She got one hell of a firecoral rash on her arm that you can still see today. It was on fire for 2 days, and no permanent damage, but it shows how making a minor mistake can get ya.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.