Anyone in an Ironworkers Union or an Iron worker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Anyone in an Ironworkers Union or an Iron worker?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering Stabilizer Brackets...

Unread 08-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

Anyone in an Ironworkers Union or an Iron worker?

Just got accepted to a local iron workers union just curious to see what other people say about the union good or bad????Before I take the job??Thanks

---------------------------------------------
2ksportNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
bassicrob

Which Union? For work in NYC? The unions are VERY fair to NYC workers, and very generous on health and educational benefits. I know many, and I am looking to get closer to Union work myself. I am with a non-union GC/Arch based out in L.I. right now, but I am looking to get my foot into the NYC firms, public works projects, dealing with unions and such.

What phase of construction are you going to be dealing with? Those guys doing steel erection are crazy, but the satisfaction of completing a frame is awsome. Its like a giant erectors set! I've seen true iron workers using cranes and hoist, to a five-man team using ropes and pulleys to erect a 5 story structure. That was scary, dangerous yet intersting to watch. Just keep your feet on the steel, hardhat on, and watch out for you and your buddies.
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

humm`

not sure of what phase I would be in I have yet to go to orientation but I would prefer something on the ground level like welding or forklift operator. I will see I guess.
Unread 08-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #4
goody350s

im in the plumbers/pipefitters union
local 125 cedar rapids ia
been in for 10 yrs
started out as a helper then got in after 3 years
of grunt work,5 years as an aprentice
wouldnt change a thing
we are the highest paid trade in our area
the contractors are pretty good to work for
and the rat outfits make 8 to 10 bucks
less than we do
but im biased my grandpa was a union fitter
my uncle was a union fitter till he started his
own company(which is union)
and then i got in
i cant imagine not being in the union
Unread 08-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

question

What happens when work is low, I heard atleast as a ironworker you get laid off for the period that there is no work then once it picks up you start work again. You could be out of work anywhere from 1 week to a month or so. How do you make money then, unless you go on unemployment i guess?? Or is that not true.
Unread 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
bassicrob

No they will dump, but they try not to. They just had a hiring freeze with local 3 (electricians) that went from maybe a few months after the WTC cleanup completed to the beginning of spring. They posted a date where hiring would commence and there was a line outside the union offices like a week before the hiring date. There will always be a need for ironworkers, but with the advent of structural precast and the new liking for lower buildings, it may not be as much as it once was. It is definately an opportunity I wouldn't pass up. If you do end up without a job, at least you can thank the union for teaching what you need to get another position. Good luck finding that with an non-union company. Its possible but the union will supply you with what you need to grow.
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

humm

I am just unsure about doing it since you have to be prepared to live off of un-employment for a couple of months or even a few. PLus you have to pay $576.00 to get in, which I can understand since they teach you all sorts of trades. But for me that is a lot of money to put out. I plan on going to the orientation just to see how everything sounds coming from them.I have been told by a few people though it is an opportunity not to pass up.
Unread 08-05-2003, 07:25 AM   #8
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my brother inlaws a union electrican and around ohio, michigan area work is very slow last year he worked 4 months out of the year. In those 4 months he made more than he did on unemployment for the other 8 months. Also when laid off they have short calls that last 2 weeks and they rotate thru the books.
I know unions around here don't usually lay off aprentice, so at least the first few years you should be ok. He told me the key to being able to live in hard times is when times are good save!!!! He was work 7 days a week 10 hour days for over a year and saved over $20,000 which helped him survive the next year when he was laid off for 8 months.
Unread 08-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #9
Steve-0
2009 JK Wrangler 

My Step-Dad is a Union Ironworker in the South. He travels a lot, working at different job sites when there is work to be done. He likes it alot and when the job is done he usually works around the house and sits on the couch for a week or two. He takes time off when he needs it and always seems to have some cash tucked away for a rainy day.

The key is to save save save when you can and be willing to travel for a job. There is plenty of work to be done in SC, GA, FL, LA, AL, etc....

Hope you aren't afraid of heights!!!!

Join Date > Post Count
Steve-0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2003, 07:32 AM   #10
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

ouch

Well that is where the wife says no on the idea. I am not sure if I would want to live like that as far as having to save everything so that when times do get bad I have something to live off of.I would rather have a job that I work and get paid good year round.
Unread 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
Jengelmengel

Career Change

Hi Everyone, My husband is 52 years old and in great shape. He climbs things for fun and has incredible balance. He is tired of working behind a desk and wants to be an Iron Worker. What is the first step to being hired as an Iron Worker?
Jengelmengel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Jengelmengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ksportNY View Post
Just got accepted to a local iron workers union just curious to see what other people say about the union good or bad????Before I take the job??Thanks
How did you get hired? What is the process?
Jengelmengel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

my fathers uncle was an iron worker in nyc, commuted from belleville nj to the city. drank a pint of scotch on the way to work and a pint at lunch. he started when he came from ww1. he said it was the only way he get himself to walk the beams at those heights.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Iron Workers also have one of the best pensions.
As with any construction/factory jobs there are ups and downs.
Unread 06-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

You realize this thread is 12 yrs. old and the OP hasn't been on here in nearly 5 yrs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.