Anyone here skydive? How about scuba? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Anyone here skydive? How about scuba?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

Anyone here skydive? How about scuba?

This spring I'm thinking about getting my Open Water certification and at least trying a tandem dive to see if I like it. I HATE flying, so I figure if I learn to skydive I can take my parachute with me whenever I have to fly, sorta like a security blanket. Anyway, I'd love to here from anyone who does either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know of at least one person here who skydives. And it isn't me.
I am sure this person will chime in soon enough.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
nova
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm PADI Certified. Unfortunately, I don't dive often.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 04:50 AM   #4
LivesIn10sly

Scuba is amazing. I got into it initially for rescue purposes, but ended up doing alot more recreational stuff later. Do it just for the exposure to aquatic life. You'll see more things than you even knew existed. If you decide to scuba, don't stop with open water, at least get your advanced open water so that you can go a little deeper.

I used to jump on a regular basis, but not so much anymore. It was just getting too costly, and with my regular hobbies (climbing and kayaking) I sacrificed jumping to make time and money for the others. Jumping, to me, isn't really all it's cracked up to be, anyhow. It's fun, it's neat, but it's costly and there's alot that's not in your control. My opinion is that if you don't like flying in the first place, jumping's not for you.

Climbing is great. Depending on where you live, it's alot more accessible than finding a local jump spot. Paddling is awesome, too, but obviously you need to live near water.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Bryan
[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
...much more to come soon...[/CENTER]
LivesIn10sly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
ltmke11
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was a "5 Jump Chump" in the Army, but its static line, no free fall, but technically we did jump out of a perfectly good aircraft.

I got my basic open water Scuba back when I was in High School, After I did my certification dives I have only used it once, and that was in Mexico where all you really need is $, I need to get a new card, cause my current one has my picture when I was 17, now at 32 It looks a little odd.. I wonder If I have to go to a recertification class since I have not dived in so long.
ltmke11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have not dove recently, a recert or at least a refresher is always a good idea. It gets you reacclamated to the water and things you need to do. Supervised bubble time after a prolonged dry spell makes it a lot safer for you and those you dive with.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
One of my best buddies was a Para Rescue guy in the Navy, and he talked me into jumping with him a couple of times. It was a rush, fun to do, but after doing it a couple of times it lost its luster for me. Definitely something to try though. And for the record, you will lose a disposable camera very easily while jumping. Who knew?

Now diving, that is a whole other animal. Awesome. I used to dive all the time about 10 years ago, did a couple dives on some blue holes down in the Bahamas, and I plan on getting recertified since I haven't dove in so long. Definitely worth it.
Unread 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
Alec

Used to be PADI certified ... nice to do in warm, clear waters !

Moved to the east coast and lost interest.

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
tnjeepchik

I'm a water girl at heart, it's my first love... grew up on the TN River, but have never tried scuba diving.. I would love to and I've snorkelled down in Mexico and various places....

As for skydiving... I started back in 2001... I've always loved flying and like some people have said, if you don't like flying in the first place, skydiving is probably not for you... I started out with a tandem and did a few tandems and then went solo in 2002... I got very frustrated with Level 5 in the AFF (Accelerated Freefall) program, I decided to go to Orlando and try out the wind tunnel down there... I was rigid and couldn't relax... I took a break, got back in the air at the end of 2003, had a great dive, but just had to get over some mental stuff and took all of 2004 off.... I started back up this year... did a tandem, then did my level 4 (which I landed in a tree) and then this past weekend I finished up my AFF (level 5, 6 and 7) and now I am done with my training... I am all about getting off the ripcord and training for a throw out pilot chute... I also want to downsize my canopy for more response... but that will be in due time...
I highly recommend doing at least one tandem just to check it out and see if you like it.... and since you are close to Cullman that would be a good place to go, that's where our Cessna flies out of every weekend for my dropzone in Rome, GA... They also have a King Air, which is nice because it gets to altitude faster and more peeps can get on...
*When I said getting over mental stuff, I meant that I had to get over the garbage in my head about NOT being able to get past that level 5... skydiving like anything that seems hard is 90% mental and 10% actually doing it... once you believe in yourself, you can do anything you set your mind to...

Here's a few pics... If you have any questions, you can PM me...

This is my level 4 a few years ago...

This is my exit on my level 7 on Sunday...

This is me on my level 7....

[COLOR=Indigo] SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

Sean Connery -"I'll take anal bum cover for a thousand..."

Alex Trebek- "That's an album cover you moron...."[/COLOR]

Last edited by tnjeepchik; 03-08-2005 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Further Explanation
tnjeepchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
90SaharaJeep

i have advanced open water cert.

i was going to go pro and be an instructor but ended up going corporate

have dove in the Philippines, Thailand, Mexico, Carib, Borneo, Malaysia etc.
90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
barneybadase

I went for my first dive about a month ago in Hawaii. Off the western side of Oahu. It was my first and one of those combo's where they train you on the spot for a shallow dive. No cert neccessary. They took us to 40 ft, through some caverns. Awesome. If I lived a little closer to dive places I would get certified, or if I travelled places like that more often. Great experience and could make for a good hobby.

2004 F350 Lariat Powerstroke [COLOR=Blue]Blue[/COLOR]/[COLOR=SandyBrown]Tan[/COLOR] Edge 4.5" 35" BFG's
barneybadase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
LivesIn10sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjeepchik
They also have a King Air, which is nice because it gets to altitude faster and more peeps can get on...

King Air = Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccee!!

Bryan
[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
...much more to come soon...[/CENTER]
LivesIn10sly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #13
tnjeepchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesIn10sly
King Air = Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccee!!

Bryan
Casa > King Air... which there are going to be two Casas, a King Air, a hot air balloon and a heli in Dublin, GA for the RoamingDZ boogie next week... YAY!!!

[COLOR=Indigo] SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

Sean Connery -"I'll take anal bum cover for a thousand..."

Alex Trebek- "That's an album cover you moron...."[/COLOR]
tnjeepchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Moose_God
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? I love to fly, but I've never tried skydiving. Sounds like fun though. I was also thinking about getting my SCUBA cert this spring.
94 Cherokee Sport 4wd (converted from 2wd), AW4, NP231 w/SYE, 6" bastard lift, RC drop brackets, IRO trackbar, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs, HDoffroad subframe connectors, prerunner front bumper, homebrew rear bumper, flowmaster 40, 96 booster swap., upgraded headlight harness, 4.56 gears (finally!!!)
Moose_God is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #15
fyrdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor
Now diving, that is a whole other animal. Awesome. I used to dive all the time about 10 years ago, did a couple dives on some blue holes down in the Bahamas, and I plan on getting recertified since I haven't dove in so long. Definitely worth it.
Hey, I'm just up the road here in Dayton, and a couple friends and I are talking about doing some Great Lake diving this summer. Sposed to be a few awesome wrecks to dive on since it's fresh water. If we do go, interested?

Heh... of course then you'd be diving with some UD fans...

"A Clear Conscience Is A Sure Sign Of A Bad Memory"
fyrdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.