Is anyone on here a Park Ranger? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Is anyone on here a Park Ranger?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is anyone on here a Park Ranger?

I'm 26 and I'm considering a career change. I love nature and the outdoors. Can anyone tell me about being a national park ranger?

[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
00xj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
AlTheKillerr

i beleive you have to have a recreational management degree. my brother was thinking of doing this for a while. other than that im not but i could give him a call tomorrow and see what he says
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ehow.com/how_8752_become-park-ranger.html

This comes from here - http://www.nps.gov/personnel/rangers.htm

During their careers, most Rangers can expect to be assigned to several different parts of the country. While we try take into account each employee's preference, we do not guarantee that a ranger will remain stationed in only one area.
Unread 01-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

i have a degree in recreation management. I looked into the park ranger thing, but honestly, the pay sucks. I don't remember the offers I had straight out of college, but it wouldn't have paid my student loans I had to get the education to become a ranger.

I may use the degree later in life when I don't necessarily need as much income...
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Dcomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xj54
Can anyone tell me about being a national park ranger?

Sure. You are always on garbage cleanup duty, deal with *******es on a daily basis, perform menial tasks when not actively involved in whatever Rangers are actually supposed to do and complain about low pay and no funds for any projects. Sounds like fun
Dcomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
trailblazer2003

I wanted to be a park ranger for a long time. A couple years ago I researched the aspects of it. Looked pretty dismal. Low pay, crappy people including other employees, low funds, etc... You will get to travel to different locations which can be a plus. I also found that a noob in the field really needs to pay their dues to get anywhere. Also if you are a veteran you are placed above most that apply.

If you want to pay you dues first, and test the waters than look into the Seasonal LE Program approved by the National Prk service. You attend an academy put on through several colleges in the US, at your dime of course. After you graduate you can get a job as a Seasonal Ranger with Park Service, or possibly a full time state or local job.
trailblazer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

I have a degree in Forest Recreation. Same story as others. The only jobs available were seasonal maintenance work for minimum wage. I ended up getting a job logging full time.

I loved getting my degree though. Outdoor classes, working in the woods, practical application. While my friends were sitting in some auditorium, sleeping through a worthless lecture, I was out learning how to designing campgrounds and building lean-to's
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.