Anyone have any input on a Husqvarna 455 or 450 saw? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Anyone have any input on a Husqvarna 455 or 450 saw?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any input on a Husqvarna 455 or 450 saw?

Hey guys. I am going out to pick up a new saw and want to hear some opinions.

The saws my dad has are all from the 90's and are pro grade Huskys, but I need to get one of my own. Unfortunately I don't have the coin to pick up a super powerful saw. But can drop about 400 bucks on a landowner saw.

I was looking at the 455 rancher (although reviews say it is too heavy) or the 450.

I like the 450 better for what I will use it for, but I'm leery of the tool-less chain tensioner. It seems like a part likely to fail on me.

Any one have any input for me. Or know where I can get an XP series saw that will handle an 18" bar for under $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Kegger83cj7
1983 CJ7 

Go with a Husky. I love mine. My dad always had Husky and now I have a 570 and I kick all my buddy's asses with their Stihl saws. Get the biggest one you can afford. You will love it!
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I already had my heart set on a Husky. I just wanted opinions on the two models.

I wish I had 600 bucks to drop on a nice XP saw. But it won't happen.

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I cut trees for a living with a tree service and i can tell you from my experience running saws 40 hours a week that the only name out there is STIHL

Huskys are the next best thing but ive dropped o44s and o25s from 40 to 60 feet up a tree (im a climber) and maybe bent the bar and maybe broke the brake handle

ive dropped huskys from 20 feet and they were headed straight to the garbage

plus the power difference is substantial

just cough up the coin for a Stihl , even if you have to go used, you will thank me for it later

my favorite saws are my 044 on the ground and 025 when im spiked up and 40 feet up
also my bosses 046 magnum is awesome but it is a little out of the everyday buyers range

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a 450 today. I tried out both the 455 and 450 and the 455 is way heavier and has about the same power, it seemed foolish to go with that one.

For anyone that is interested after the initial check over of the saw I filled it up. Started it. And cut a couple truckloads of maple and cherry. Plenty of power, easy to handle. I still wish I could have afforded a pro saw, but I'll take this one in for service after a couple gallons of gas and then put it through the torture test this winter.

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.