anyone grow orchids? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

anyone grow orchids?

My wife has a Phalenopsis that desperately needs to be transplanted, but it won't stop blooming. Is there any way to get it to stop blooming, so we can transplant it? I don't want to harm the plant at all, I just need to find some way to force dormancy.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why does it need to be transplanted and what exactly do you mean by blooming? Does it keep on growing new spikes or are the flowers just lasting forever?

Budding spikes and subsequent blooming in Phalaenopsis is triggered by a couple weeks of nighttime temperature drops, so if you want to make sure that stops then keep the temperature pretty darn warm and steady.

edit: disclaimer: because where we live is close enough to most orchid's natural habitats the only things we do with our orchids is repot them out of sphagnum moss, water them occasionally, hang them from a tree and then leave them outside, so don't take what I said above as law.

2000 Cherokee
It's an I6, 4.0, 2x4, automatic and completely stock, forest green Jeep.

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. -Douglas Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Good lord man, the people don't serve the government, the government serves the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
Women can never do anything wrong.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Why does it need to be transplanted and what exactly do you mean by blooming? Does it keep on growing new spikes or are the flowers just lasting forever?

Budding spikes and subsequent blooming in Phalaenopsis is triggered by a couple weeks of nighttime temperature drops, so if you want to make sure that stops then keep the temperature pretty darn warm and steady.

edit: disclaimer: because where we live is close enough to most orchid's natural habitats the only things we do with our orchids is repot them out of sphagnum moss, water them occasionally, hang them from a tree and then leave them outside, so don't take what I said above as law.
It continues to produce blooms and budding spikes. It needs to be transplanted because it seems like it is really root bound.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, nifty! Sounds like you have one super-happy orchid right there. Uuum, I really have no idea, so try an orchid forum. (or get your wife to try it if that's a little insulting to your masculinity)

2000 Cherokee

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. -Douglas Adams

Quote:
Good lord man, the people don't serve the government, the government serves the people.
Quote:
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Wow, nifty! Sounds like you have one super-happy orchid right there. Uuum, I really have no idea, so try an orchid forum. (or get your wife to try it if that's a little insulting to your masculinity)
Honestly, I bought it more for myself than I did her. I've always thought they were cool. Super happy orchid=not root bound?

post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This website: http://www.orchidweb.com/faqs.aspx should have all the answers you need. Ours are so root bound in their pots that we'll have to break the pots in order to get them out, but they've been like that (roots growing every which way and all over the pots) since we repotted them.

2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.