Anybody ever own a Baja bug? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Anybody ever own a Baja bug?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody ever own a Baja bug?

So, in celebration of my girlfriends new purchase, I figured it'd be a good time to post a few pictures, get some opinions, and hopefully some stories or memories from previous Baja Beetle owners.

Secretively i'm hoping her getting into off roading the beetle will bring her to the Jeep side.

Anyway, cool note about the beetle, the inside has been scraped, herculined, and the rear seat was replaced with ammo boxes. There is also a custom cage, CB, 31" super swampers for the back and 31" BFG AT's for the front. Can't forget the 20 mph speed sign welded to the front as a skid plate. Oh and the harley davidson muffler fit right down onto the exhaust pipe, and it really does a good job at muffling the 1600 cc engine (a whooping 60 hp).

Anway, feel free to share stories/pics if anybody has them!

OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]Parrothead Jeeper Union member #26!![/COLOR][/B]
JBXdudeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A buddy used to have one that was caged and had sliders on it. He had an LSD in the transaxle and the motor bored and stroked out to 2000 cc. It would go damn near anywhere and if it rolled or flopped, it wasn't a big deal, because you could just roll it back over with a couple of guys.

You might want to cover up your skid plate though, destruction of public property is a crime.
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I have always wanted one.
Thats a good looking one

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nah, it's been pulled many times. Cops normally laugh when you tell them it came from the local Rams Rack. Thanks for the concern though.

I'd love to squeeze a larger engine in there, but once again...I can only wrench on it at the discretion of the ladyfriend...
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's two pics of mine...

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZNnDlyzbNWW7
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXdudeTJ View Post
I'd love to squeeze a larger engine in there, but once again...I can only wrench on it at the discretion of the ladyfriend...
Something for you to drool over in the meantime: http://www.scatvw.com/ http://www.empius.com/ http://www.webercarburetors.com/
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mmmm *Drools* If only I had the money and could convince my g/f! These things are incredible fun/cheap/easy to work on. It blows me away at how cheap parts are....
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Had a few bugs as a kid. chopped one and put the baja kit on it. stinger out the rear just like that. She wasn't pretty but she was fun. Coal mines and shale pits rule in those things.

I like the look if your girl's ride. Cool little thing. Have fun with it, and nice pictures.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder how the DMV likes the idea of a stolen street sign being used as a skid plate. There is probably a law against that. Just a guess though.

I had one like that. It was and '68 red with the white fiberglass front and back. 53 hp motor. Lots of fun.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol, yeah the skid plate is risky, but the law enforcement around Boone, NC know the car...It doesn't catch much heat. Like i've said, after being pulled multiple times (being questioned about it's road worthiness), all it seems to get is a snicker from the 5-0. Plus they were selling it at the Pawn shop in Boone, and apparently they said it was fine to buy and use for anything unofficial. It does draw a lot of attention though, which is bad for the business if you're speeding...and since it doesn't have a speedometer... Although I have been hooking up my Garmin Nav in it to get a speed read out, I prefer that over a speedo anyway.

I can't wait to throw the super swampers on it...I'm sure I won't get over 40 mph on the highway! Much less being able to go up a hill or have a decent take off from a dead stop!

SoCal, that is a ridiculously awesome Manx buggy!
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Lots of good memories of bugs... street and baja. My brother had several and I think his record was 5 1/2 at one time. Unfortunately, he only had 2 or 3 working engines, so depending on what bug he wanted to take out and what he wanted to do with it, he'd swap the engines around His ugly baja was convertible, primer gray, roll cage, with a dual carbed 1600 IIRC. That thing was a blast.

Here is my bug:

The one car I regret selling
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
bobjp

Nice baja. Anymore pictures?

I used to have a dune buggy, and I really want a baja bug. It would be fun to use as a daily driver and to take to the dunes with the Jeep.
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since that sign is on there, would that mean that the speed limit for you is always 25 MPH?
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I figured you were in the southwest, but NC? Where do you (or her) ride it? No dunes out west, and back east they'd probably have a fit on these beaches
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
SoCal, that is a ridiculously awesome Manx buggy!
Thanks... anybody able to make it click free?

It's a '62 Volkswagen that has a Barrien Buggy body on it. 1500cc engine. Sitting in the garage now collecting dust, but it's on the list for a complete frame up rebuild once I get some extra cash. The goal is a new JK Unlimited Rubicon, Dodge Challenger, and rebuild the buggy. It's just tough deciding which order to them in.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.