any one ever make their own snorkle? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > any one ever make their own snorkle?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #31
wfcxleatherneck
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Think Hydro dynamics if you must. Yes the bends in the pipe will restrict airflow, but when you have air moveing at high speed entering the intake of the snorkel, and forceing agaisnt the air that is slowed down in the tube what will happen? Will the slow air cause a space fluxed, and reject the other air sending the snorkel into the past? NO! its a simple theory.... Air will push past the bends, and continue to flow nice and fast. If its such a bid deal stick a peice of 3" PVC out the front of your jeep as a snorkel.

As far as building your own snorkel. I am going to be building one and hopfully if I can designin it well enough will go into the cab up the front pillar ( Made from metal) and have a small scoop on the roof. I had the idea play GTA san adreas modding a car, and am still trying to design it which is proveing rather hard lol.

wfcxleatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #32
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Well done to point out that COOLER AIR=MORE AIR, that is MORE COMBUSTIBLE MOLECULES. The volume delivery will generally not be diminished enough to out-weigh the benefits of the denser air that a snorkel provides.

Another point worth noting is that any of the snorkel manufacturers will point out that, while their product can make deeper crossing possible, the main point is better quality (cooler/denser and CLEANER) of air.

Snorkel is better for short and long term engine performance almost every time, without question.

But, I wasn't equating "cooler air" to "more air" as in density, although you are correct (I know what you're saying).
I'm actually saying that you'll get more air pushed, with more force, via the snorkel, than you would with the factory air inlet horn just chilling under the hood.

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #33
Jake03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Typically to get cooler air you segregate the air intake from the engine. To pull cooler air. Cooler air means more power. The cooler the air the cooler the temps in the intake. That means you can dump more fuel in. More fuel = more power. Escpecially with diesels. The object is force as much cool air and fuel in as you can.

In theory since the air is being pulled from outside, being the the ambient temperature is cooler than under the hood, you should notice better throttle response, and improved mileage with the snorkel. Provided the air flow is unrestricted, and the piping is allowed to get to warm.

Then again I believe that you could always make up power else where if you were really worried about losing any....

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #34
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcxleatherneck View Post
Think Hydro dynamics if you must. Yes the bends in the pipe will restrict airflow, but when you have air moveing at high speed entering the intake of the snorkel, and forceing agaisnt the air that is slowed down in the tube what will happen? Will the slow air cause a space fluxed, and reject the other air sending the snorkel into the past? NO! its a simple theory.... Air will push past the bends, and continue to flow nice and fast. If its such a bid deal stick a peice of 3" PVC out the front of your jeep as a snorkel.

Exactly.
People equate the air in the snorkel to a ball that is having to change direction at each bend. Nobody takes into the account that that it is a constant flow...more like thousands of balls () being compounded into the tube, one on top of another.

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #35
Jake03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcxleatherneck View Post

As far as building your own snorkel. I am going to be building one and hopfully if I can designin it well enough will go into the cab up the front pillar ( Made from metal) and have a small scoop on the roof. I had the idea play GTA san adreas modding a car, and am still trying to design it which is proveing rather hard lol.
While I see your prespective, air like water will find it's way regardless of obstructions. Hydraulic Pressure is far greater than Air Pressure. You want the air to have velocity while entering the engine as this helps the combustion process. Think of a shop vac for instance. I You have the smaller attachment on increase the sucking power of the vaccum. This principle can be applied to intakes. Intake piping that is too big will hurt performance. It will fail to force the air into the engine with enough velocity. It'll be like trying to breathe 20,000ft above the ground. The air is there, but the vehicle just won't be able to breathe it in efficiently. Something for you guys to think about.

I'm no professional, automobiles are only my hobby. I do however build some pretty quick cars..

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #36
wfcxleatherneck
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
more like thousands of balls () being compounded into the tube, one on top of another.
Dude Ow....
wfcxleatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake03TJ View Post
While I see your prespective, air like water will find it's way regardless of obstructions. Hydraulic Pressure is far greater than Air Pressure. You want the air to have velocity while entering the engine as this helps the combustion process. Think of a shop vac for instance. I You have the smaller attachment on increase the sucking power of the vaccum. This principle can be applied to intakes. Intake piping that is too big will hurt performance. It will fail to force the air into the engine with enough velocity. It'll be like trying to breathe 20,000ft above the ground. The air is there, but the vehicle just won't be able to breathe it in efficiently. Something for you guys to think about.

I'm no professional, automobiles are only my hobby. I do however build some pretty quick cars..
I agree and disagree... since Q=V*A... or Flow Rate = Velocity x Area

What you want coming into the engine (such as superchargers) is more Flow Rate. What you said was that increasing Area will decrease flow rate and supply less Volumetric Air. Actually, the flow rate would remain constant even when the Area (size of pipe) is increased and Velocity is decreased.

It is all going to bottle-neck at the throttlebody anyway...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.