any one ever make their own snorkle? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > any one ever make their own snorkle?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
muddbogger98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Snorkel

As long as you make more air available (big pipe) you should be fine. For my 98 TJ's 2.5L I used 3" PVC and painted it black. definate power inc. sorry no pic trying to learn how to do it

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown2 View Post
did you ever hear of sts turbo kits? google them then get back to me.
+123456789 I'mguessing he's never heard of a rear mounted turbo before....

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbogger98 View Post
As long as you make more air available (big pipe) you should be fine. For my 98 TJ's 2.5L I used 3" PVC and painted it black. definate power inc. sorry no pic trying to learn how to do it
Good point. ...as with ANY air inlet setup.

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen several rear-mounted turbo kits, but a snorkel isn't going to move the air like a turbo does.

I'd also argue that a snorkel isn't like a ram-air induction, because you are completely changing the direction of the air multiple times before it reaches the engine.

Regarding larger tubing, when the stock intake tubing is something like 3", that 2.5" tubing used on the homemade snorkel up there has got to be choking the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #20
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
I've seen several rear-mounted turbo kits, but a snorkel isn't going to move the air like a turbo does.

I'd also argue that a snorkel isn't like a ram-air induction, because you are completely changing the direction of the air multiple times before it reaches the engine.
Duh. He isn't saying it would. He's saying that, if you have the option to either have more efficient air (i.e, cooler and MORE forced) via extra tubing, or stock setup, the former is better. THink of it is like an agent's commissino.
You put on the snorkel and the air is colder and more efficiently "forced" in than stock setup. For this, you have to pay 10% (the tubing doesn't allow the air to move as fast). You are still gaining efficiency, so while you take the 10% hit, you still gain.
As far as "cooler and MORE forced", for an explanation, see next paragraph.

I didn't say it was "like" a ram-air induction...I said it is "the same priniciple". To elaborate (I thought I made this clear), where as the stock setup has the horn or inlet sitting under the hood, usually pointed off to the side or, in the case of my 4.7HO, pointed right at the back of the d/s headlight (WTF?), both the ram-air induction setup AND the snorkel have the main initial inlet outside the vehicle and facing the front, which causes already moving air (depending on your speed) to be forced/jammed/rammed (take your pick) down it's "throat".

Quote:
Regarding larger tubing, when the stock intake tubing is something like 3", that 2.5" tubing used on the homemade snorkel up there has got to be choking the engine.
I think he was talking about using 3" piping for entire snorkel.

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
I didn't say it was "like" a ram-air induction...I said it is "the same priniciple". To elaborate (I thought I made this clear), where as the stock setup has the horn or inlet sitting under the hood, usually pointed off to the side or, in the case of my 4.7HO, pointed right at the back of the d/s headlight (WTF?), both the ram-air induction setup AND the snorkel have the main initial inlet outside the vehicle and facing the front, which causes already moving air (depending on your speed) to be forced/jammed/rammed (take your pick) down it's "throat".

I agree that the stock intake seems to be poorly designed, and I also agree that you are pulling cooler air from outside(undoubtedly). However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.

Quote:

I think he was talking about using 3" piping for entire snorkel.
Motown's cousin used 2.5" piping for his entire snorkel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I agree that the stock intake seems to be poorly designed, and I also agree that you are pulling cooler air from outside(undoubtedly). However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.

Motown's cousin used 2.5" piping for his entire snorkel.

Seriously?? I don't know how to put it more clearly.
Yes, the direction changes mean loss of "momentum", for lack of a better word.
But I can pretty much guarantee that, if you took the inlet tube off at the TB and tested the volume moving through it as it sits in the engine bay, and then compared that with the snorkel and it's 3 extra bends attached, you would still find QUITE a bit more air (and, not to beat a dead horse, but COOLER, denser air) coming through the snorkel setup.

You're KILLING me, smalls!!

So?? I was talking to/about mudbogger98's setup, where he used 3" piping for the snorkel. As I said, more efficient to use 3" ALL the way through, but I'm willing to bet there is SOME positive difference in even using 3" piping JUST for the snorkel, over continuing that 2.5". Even if unnoticable (which is most likely).

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #23
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.
no... it really doesn't.

Go get some pipe and and put a few bends in it and push air into it continuously on one side. It will keep getting pushed through because there is no where else for it to go except keep getting pushed. Sure it will lose a little bit of speed on the turns but in the end it will still be getting pushed faster than what is going into the stock intake.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anytime you restrict the breathing of an engine whether it being inhaling through intake, or exhaling through the exhaust you're going to lose power. The only thing relevant is how much power you're losing. IF you're losing a couple horsies over having a snorkel, it's not going to affect you. You could easily make that up somewhere. If you were really fretting about losing power, and mileage then I suggest that you put your jeep back to the OEM specs, add a CAI, and drive like a grandma. Otherwise, just forget about it. These are jeeps, not race cars. The amount of power you could possibly lose is insignificant!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Once I used a drinking straw as a snorkel in the pool...
JPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #26
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Use this

Now you got more air. May leak water but you got more air.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
LOLZ!!!
I'm not going to regurgitate all the reason that that is funny.
Basically, it isn't compressing air, only blowing it. And not enough volume to overcome the vacuum of the intake.

But I have a feeling you were being facetious.

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPete View Post
Once I used a drinking straw as a snorkel in the pool...
Did the air taste cooler and more dense? Did you swim fast enough for the "ram" effect? Did the bend in the straw reduce the volume of air reaching your lungs? Or do you think the reduction was just from the internal diameter of the straw?
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #29
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOLZ!!!
I'm not going to regurgitate all the reason that that is funny.
Basically, it isn't compressing air, only blowing it. And not enough volume to overcome the vacuum of the intake.

But I have a feeling you were being facetious.
That would be accurate
Quote:
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Seriously?? I don't know how to put it more clearly.
Yes, the direction changes mean loss of "momentum", for lack of a better word.
But I can pretty much guarantee that, if you took the inlet tube off at the TB and tested the volume moving through it as it sits in the engine bay, and then compared that with the snorkel and it's 3 extra bends attached, you would still find QUITE a bit more air (and, not to beat a dead horse, but COOLER, denser air) coming through the snorkel setup.

You're KILLING me, smalls!!

So?? I was talking to/about mudbogger98's setup, where he used 3" piping for the snorkel. As I said, more efficient to use 3" ALL the way through, but I'm willing to bet there is SOME positive difference in even using 3" piping JUST for the snorkel, over continuing that 2.5". Even if unnoticable (which is most likely).
Well done to point out that COOLER AIR=MORE AIR, that is MORE COMBUSTIBLE MOLECULES. The volume delivery will generally not be diminished enough to out-weigh the benefits of the denser air that a snorkel provides.

Another point worth noting is that any of the snorkel manufacturers will point out that, while their product can make deeper crossing possible, the main point is better quality (cooler/denser and CLEANER) of air.

Snorkel is better for short and long term engine performance almost every time, without question.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.