any one ever make their own snorkle? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
muddbogger98
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 20
Snorkel

As long as you make more air available (big pipe) you should be fine. For my 98 TJ's 2.5L I used 3" PVC and painted it black. definate power inc. sorry no pic trying to learn how to do it

Don't Tread on me
muddbogger98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Jake03TJ
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Romeo
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown2 View Post
did you ever hear of sts turbo kits? google them then get back to me.
+123456789 I'mguessing he's never heard of a rear mounted turbo before....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Jake03TJ is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Big_Fisch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbogger98 View Post
As long as you make more air available (big pipe) you should be fine. For my 98 TJ's 2.5L I used 3" PVC and painted it black. definate power inc. sorry no pic trying to learn how to do it
Good point. ...as with ANY air inlet setup.

:pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot: DANCING FOOD ROCKS!!! :pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big_Fisch is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Black Hills TJ
Registered User
 
Black Hills TJ's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Black Hills, SD
Posts: 1,504
I've seen several rear-mounted turbo kits, but a snorkel isn't going to move the air like a turbo does.

I'd also argue that a snorkel isn't like a ram-air induction, because you are completely changing the direction of the air multiple times before it reaches the engine.

Regarding larger tubing, when the stock intake tubing is something like 3", that 2.5" tubing used on the homemade snorkel up there has got to be choking the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Black Hills TJ is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Big_Fisch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
I've seen several rear-mounted turbo kits, but a snorkel isn't going to move the air like a turbo does.

I'd also argue that a snorkel isn't like a ram-air induction, because you are completely changing the direction of the air multiple times before it reaches the engine.
Duh. He isn't saying it would. He's saying that, if you have the option to either have more efficient air (i.e, cooler and MORE forced) via extra tubing, or stock setup, the former is better. THink of it is like an agent's commissino.
You put on the snorkel and the air is colder and more efficiently "forced" in than stock setup. For this, you have to pay 10% (the tubing doesn't allow the air to move as fast). You are still gaining efficiency, so while you take the 10% hit, you still gain.
As far as "cooler and MORE forced", for an explanation, see next paragraph.

I didn't say it was "like" a ram-air induction...I said it is "the same priniciple". To elaborate (I thought I made this clear), where as the stock setup has the horn or inlet sitting under the hood, usually pointed off to the side or, in the case of my 4.7HO, pointed right at the back of the d/s headlight (WTF?), both the ram-air induction setup AND the snorkel have the main initial inlet outside the vehicle and facing the front, which causes already moving air (depending on your speed) to be forced/jammed/rammed (take your pick) down it's "throat".


Quote:
Regarding larger tubing, when the stock intake tubing is something like 3", that 2.5" tubing used on the homemade snorkel up there has got to be choking the engine.
I think he was talking about using 3" piping for entire snorkel.

:pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot: DANCING FOOD ROCKS!!! :pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big_Fisch is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Black Hills TJ
Registered User
 
Black Hills TJ's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Black Hills, SD
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
I didn't say it was "like" a ram-air induction...I said it is "the same priniciple". To elaborate (I thought I made this clear), where as the stock setup has the horn or inlet sitting under the hood, usually pointed off to the side or, in the case of my 4.7HO, pointed right at the back of the d/s headlight (WTF?), both the ram-air induction setup AND the snorkel have the main initial inlet outside the vehicle and facing the front, which causes already moving air (depending on your speed) to be forced/jammed/rammed (take your pick) down it's "throat".

I agree that the stock intake seems to be poorly designed, and I also agree that you are pulling cooler air from outside(undoubtedly). However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.

Quote:

I think he was talking about using 3" piping for entire snorkel.
Motown's cousin used 2.5" piping for his entire snorkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Black Hills TJ is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Big_Fisch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
I agree that the stock intake seems to be poorly designed, and I also agree that you are pulling cooler air from outside(undoubtedly). However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.



Motown's cousin used 2.5" piping for his entire snorkel.

Seriously?? I don't know how to put it more clearly.
Yes, the direction changes mean loss of "momentum", for lack of a better word.
But I can pretty much guarantee that, if you took the inlet tube off at the TB and tested the volume moving through it as it sits in the engine bay, and then compared that with the snorkel and it's 3 extra bends attached, you would still find QUITE a bit more air (and, not to beat a dead horse, but COOLER, denser air) coming through the snorkel setup.

You're KILLING me, smalls!!

So?? I was talking to/about mudbogger98's setup, where he used 3" piping for the snorkel. As I said, more efficient to use 3" ALL the way through, but I'm willing to bet there is SOME positive difference in even using 3" piping JUST for the snorkel, over continuing that 2.5". Even if unnoticable (which is most likely).

:pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot: DANCING FOOD ROCKS!!! :pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big_Fisch is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
mattman8706
Web Wheeler
 
mattman8706's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
However, although the air is being rammed into the initial intake of the snorkel, it loses its ram affect because it changes direction so many times.
no... it really doesn't.

Go get some pipe and and put a few bends in it and push air into it continuously on one side. It will keep getting pushed through because there is no where else for it to go except keep getting pushed. Sure it will lose a little bit of speed on the turns but in the end it will still be getting pushed faster than what is going into the stock intake.

-Matt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mattman8706 is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Jake03TJ
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Romeo
Posts: 379
Anytime you restrict the breathing of an engine whether it being inhaling through intake, or exhaling through the exhaust you're going to lose power. The only thing relevant is how much power you're losing. IF you're losing a couple horsies over having a snorkel, it's not going to affect you. You could easily make that up somewhere. If you were really fretting about losing power, and mileage then I suggest that you put your jeep back to the OEM specs, add a CAI, and drive like a grandma. Otherwise, just forget about it. These are jeeps, not race cars. The amount of power you could possibly lose is insignificant!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Jake03TJ is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?
 
JPete's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: York
Posts: 467
Once I used a drinking straw as a snorkel in the pool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasAxe View Post
The lesson for today is never steal a Playstation from a Baltimore Samurai.
JPete is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
bradyman1
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: missouri
Posts: 302
Use this

Now you got more air. May leak water but you got more air.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Big_Fisch
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
LOLZ!!!
I'm not going to regurgitate all the reason that that is funny.
Basically, it isn't compressing air, only blowing it. And not enough volume to overcome the vacuum of the intake.

But I have a feeling you were being facetious.

:pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot: DANCING FOOD ROCKS!!! :pickle: :banana: :bacon: :carrot:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big_Fisch is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
bradyman1
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: missouri
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPete View Post
Once I used a drinking straw as a snorkel in the pool...
Did the air taste cooler and more dense? Did you swim fast enough for the "ram" effect? Did the bend in the straw reduce the volume of air reaching your lungs? Or do you think the reduction was just from the internal diameter of the straw?

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
bradyman1
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: missouri
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
LOLZ!!!
I'm not going to regurgitate all the reason that that is funny.
Basically, it isn't compressing air, only blowing it. And not enough volume to overcome the vacuum of the intake.

But I have a feeling you were being facetious.
That would be accurate

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post

Seriously?? I don't know how to put it more clearly.
Yes, the direction changes mean loss of "momentum", for lack of a better word.
But I can pretty much guarantee that, if you took the inlet tube off at the TB and tested the volume moving through it as it sits in the engine bay, and then compared that with the snorkel and it's 3 extra bends attached, you would still find QUITE a bit more air (and, not to beat a dead horse, but COOLER, denser air) coming through the snorkel setup.

You're KILLING me, smalls!!

So?? I was talking to/about mudbogger98's setup, where he used 3" piping for the snorkel. As I said, more efficient to use 3" ALL the way through, but I'm willing to bet there is SOME positive difference in even using 3" piping JUST for the snorkel, over continuing that 2.5". Even if unnoticable (which is most likely).
Well done to point out that COOLER AIR=MORE AIR, that is MORE COMBUSTIBLE MOLECULES. The volume delivery will generally not be diminished enough to out-weigh the benefits of the denser air that a snorkel provides.

Another point worth noting is that any of the snorkel manufacturers will point out that, while their product can make deeper crossing possible, the main point is better quality (cooler/denser and CLEANER) of air.

Snorkel is better for short and long term engine performance almost every time, without question.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Someone should make DirtyJeepBoy General Discussion 3 12-29-2009 06:14 PM
You can't make this up. KeeptheJeep General Discussion 4 04-06-2009 11:50 AM
Now I don't make it over here much kairo General Discussion 11 04-24-2008 09:10 PM
When will they make one of these... black05tj General Discussion 12 05-16-2007 06:54 PM
do they make these? strat_69 General Discussion 9 12-25-2002 09:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome