Any lawyers or knowledgeable people, DBA Forms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Any lawyers or knowledgeable people, DBA Forms?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any lawyers or knowledgeable people, DBA Forms?

I have a question for anyone nice enough to help me with an answer.

I want to begin a sole proprietorship and work under my own name. Do I need to fill out and file a DBA, or can I just get the necessary liscensing and insurance and start spreading the word?

I am really unclear as to what the DBA form does, I thought it was required, but the county clerk says that it is to operate under a name other than my own. Which made my head hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
CJATE

DBA is filed with the county. no help needed, just call the county clerk (they call it an assumed name), my county has the form online to fill out and take in, they notarize then file $14.

so IN THAT county you can be Joe Blow doing business as XYZ. you can't be Joe Blow dba XYZinc. as inc implies that your incorporated, and you are not, just a sole prop.

now, if you going to make money, you need to talk to a CPA, not a layer (or CPA and a lawyer depending on what you are doing)

ive done lots if you need help.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
CJATE

i re-read your question. if you want to "operate" as joe blow then you don't need a dba. if you want to operate as xyz, then you will need one.
some will say if you wanted to put your whole name in your business name then it's not necessary. so if you were "joe blow heating and air" you would not need one; but "blow heating and air" would. but I'd get it as it's cleaner and only $14.

depending on your trade all you would need is insurance and license if you were not doing business as another name.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
pushead

Just be careful working as a sole proprietor. If some thing goes wrong you get sued and lose all your belongs not the company. It safer to spend a few bones and incorporate in some fashion.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I would like too. But the bones are few and far between, and it would be nice to get paid for some small repair work before jumping into the next step. Plus I figured it would make my taxes easier to start.

The nice thing about masonry repair is that no matter what, it's always better than you started with, I figured between getting fully bonded and insured and sticking to normal sized jobs I would be good to go for a while.

Now for another question, if I reside in my county and register to do business in my county, can I work and advertise in other counties as long as my business address remains the same?

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
CJATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushead View Post
Just be careful working as a sole proprietor. If some thing goes wrong you get sued and lose all your belongs ....
ehh, depends on the industry, and you would probably be personally named in any suit anyway. get LOTS of insurance, and protect your assets. but your right. many industries really should incorporate; like construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
Now for another question, if I reside in my county and register to do business in my county, can I work and advertise in other counties as long as my business address remains the same?
yes, anywhere. but you can't stop some one else from using the same name unless you file. so i could be in the next county and operate with the same name (read reputation).

go to legalzoom. Push is right, you really ought to look into it in that line of work. it's not as much as you think.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I would like too. But the bones are few and far between, and it would be nice to get paid for some small repair work before jumping into the next step. Plus I figured it would make my taxes easier to start.

The nice thing about masonry repair is that no matter what, it's always better than you started with, I figured between getting fully bonded and insured and sticking to normal sized jobs I would be good to go for a while.

Do you need a contractors license for what you are doing? I know in CA if each job is below $500 they dont care but as soon as you hit $501 you can get arrested and have to pay alot of fines for working without a license. Other than that I would do a DBA if only it makes you sound more legitimate if you have a company name. Then you can open a bank account in that name and be a little more official. It's a good start but I would recomend Incorperating if you plan on doing this long term.

DBA = Doing business as.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have been searching for a few hours, but can not find anything regarding needing a license, with the exception of dealing with asbestos, plumbing or electricity, none of which I do.

You need a license to be a lead contractor, but once again. I am aiming small time, I don't plan on building a retirement community.

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!
Unread 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have been searching for a few hours, but can not find anything regarding needing a license, with the exception of dealing with asbestos, plumbing or electricity, none of which I do.

You need a license to be a lead contractor, but once again. I am aiming small time, I don't plan on building a retirement community.
Why not?

I think you are right on the license issue all I could find was exactly what you found.

I would still get a DBA and come up with a name then make some cards and open an account in that name and get to work. After time you will know if you want to persue this as a full time gig and can decide if you want to incorperate or not and start a full on business out of it. You never know. I didn't want anything to do with pipeline and now 11 years later I am a pipeline contractor. I started my business within the last couple of years so let me know if you have any more questions.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.