Any cell phone retailers?, gotta cell phone plan question for anybody - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Any cell phone retailers?, gotta cell phone plan question for anybody

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 04-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
RedJeepXJ

Any cell phone retailers?, gotta cell phone plan question for anybody

How do cell phone plans work when you move as in can you just have your number changed to be a local number or what? also is it possible to get on a family share plan even if you live across the country? as in I want a new phone (mine is seriously outdated) but I might be moving cross country and would like to have a local number of where I'm at

I wanted to ask here first becuase salespeople will tell you anything to get a sale, I wanted an honest answer

RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 03:25 AM   #2
gas_pig70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scs748
How do cell phone plans work when you move as in can you just have your number changed to be a local number or what? also is it possible to get on a family share plan even if you live across the country? as in I want a new phone (mine is seriously outdated) but I might be moving cross country and would like to have a local number of where I'm at

I wanted to ask here first becuase salespeople will tell you anything to get a sale, I wanted an honest answer
I'm not a retailer, but perhaps a better source for this kind of info.

1. MOVING: If you move to another 'region' (like Boston to Miami) you will need to get new service and cancel the old one. If you're under contract and your carrier has service there things will be fairly smooth. You will also be provided with a new number. If you're not under contract you can of course choose a new carrier once you get to your destination.

2. FAMILY PLANS: The bill for your family plan can only go to one address (the one on the account). This means several things; one being you have to be in the same region as everyone else. Ideally these are set up for a household, but there are loopholes I suppose.
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
smartshot
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When you change your cell phone, You can keep your old number (if it's a local number) if it's not i think they force you to change it. For family plan i think that you need to be in the same area.
smartshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Stocker

I got a Verizon family plan, they told me I could change either phone to a different local number anywhere, anytime, no charge. I got one for my daughter to use, had to get the first number where I live, then had it changed to a local number where she is. No problem. Check with a Verizon store, they were helpful and honest with me.
Unread 04-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
ToplessJeepGirl

I work for Cingular. I'll tell you how we do things...

1. When you move, you can go to your local store/Customer Care and get 'relocated'. They'll get your account updated with the new address and new local number.

2. Family plans only work in the same market.
i.e. If you live in Boston, you can't have a Miami number attached as a family plan. You can have 2 Boston numbers on there, and have the person in Miami use that, but then you look at the incredulous amount of long distance that the Miami people are paying to call him.

Although Cingular DOES offer the 'Allover' network... no roaming or long distance.
(I HAD to plug it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scs748

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.