Any Appliance Guru's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Any Appliance Guru's?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
mecmar44
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any Appliance Guru's?

I've got a whirlpool WFG710H0AE gas range that is a year and a half old (6 months out of warranty) and the oven wont ignite. The stove top works, and the broiler will ignite. I changed out the safety valve thinking that there was something wrong with it since when the oven fails to ignite, gas still pours into the stove. I've also removed the ignitor and tested it by lighting the grill with it. The oven, when set to bake will click 3 times (no spark from the ignitor) and then continue to think that itself is lit.

I called whirlpool and they want $300 to come fix the stove and include another years warranty but i dont want to have to keep dealing with this mess so i'd like to fix it myself.

mecmar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
nwiTJdave

Easy fix. You need a new element. Search a video on YouTube. It will take all of 2 mins and $15 or so for the part, go buy a new one. It's a simple as plug and play basically. There should even be a part number on the element. I just had to fix the same thing about 6 months ago on ours.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Easy fix. You need a new element. Search a video on YouTube. It will take all of 2 mins and $15 or so for the part, go buy a new one. It's a simple as plug and play basically. There should even be a part number on the element. I just had to fix the same thing about 6 months ago on ours.
Gas ranges don't have elements.

I would look to see if there is an igniter control box, it sounds like that may be your issue. I had to replace the ignition control on mine for the burners and it was $115 through Whirlpool but I got it from Amazon for $20.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
nwiTJdave

His range works, its his oven that doesn't. I'm almost certain it was the element in ours that had burned out and we had the same issue.

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Any error codes on the display? If the igniter is working out of the oven its the control or wires leading to it. Simple multimeter will test the wires not sure on the control module/box. Try google for your specific range lots of help out there for the DIYer now.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
His range works, its his oven that doesn't. I'm almost certain it was the element in ours that had burned out and we had the same issue.
Yes but a gas fired oven still doesn't have an element either, they have igniters which function similarly to an element but they are different.

In either case he said the igniter works properly when tested.
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
mecmar44
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Igniter is fine, I agree that it's either the wire or something electronic not providing power to make the ignitor work.

No error codes. Found a service technician sheet that walks you through a diagnostic mode and it said something about bake element (tested fine) or check bake k2 p1-4 which is shown in the electrical diagram.

Was going to pick up a multimeter to check ohms, could the sensor be bad? My suspicion is no, since the broiler works.
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post

Yes but a gas fired oven still doesn't have an element either, they have igniters which function similarly to an element but they are different.

In either case he said the igniter works properly when tested.
And I am an idiot. I replaced the igniter in ours, nit the element. I should not post on jf when im tired.

When we replaced our igniter, the broiler was working but the oven would not heat up properly. I would buy a new igniter.

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go to youtube and do a search.
There are a number of videos that will show you how to check each peice in the oven.
You will need a multimeter.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the ignitor is sparking, not just clicking then you need to look at the thermocouple or sensor that tells the stove there is a flame. The gas comes on the ignitor sparks the gas, the thermocouple or sensor senses the flame and then the thermostat controls the level of gas and flame to keep it at the correct temp. From the sound of it the thermocouple or sensor is saying it has a flame and keeps the gas on and doesn't trigger the ignitor to respark to start a flame.

The thermocouple/sensor should shut off the gas flw after a certain amount of time if there is no flame to keep from getting a large build up of gas. So check the t-couple/sensor.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
mecmar44
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is 3 clicks when I push bake and start. Non eof which is the ignitor sparking.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.