Another speeding ticket thread by yours truely! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Another speeding ticket thread by yours truely!

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another speeding ticket thread by yours truely!

As many of you know, I'm currently dealing with a ticket. My court date is early Jan but in the letter it says that the magistrate (spelling?) cannot take away or reduce points. Meanwhile you guys in my last (1st ever!) thread about my ticket said that they can give you multiple parking tickets or make you take a class. I really don't care what I have to pay just as long as I don't get the points! The question is, what do they mean that the magistrate cannot reduce or take away my points? does it mean all charges are lifted or still stay is the only way it can go or what?

RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotChiliDog View Post
As many of you know, I'm currently dealing with a ticket. My court date is early Jan but in the letter it says that the magistrate (spelling?) cannot take away or reduce points. Meanwhile you guys in my last (1st ever!) thread about my ticket said that they can give you multiple parking tickets or make you take a class. I really don't care what I have to pay just as long as I don't get the points! The question is, what do they mean that the magistrate cannot reduce or take away my points? does it mean all charges are lifted or still stay is the only way it can go or what?
Whoever told you the Magistrate can't reduce the charge is blowing smoke. I got a ticket for Careless Driving a few years ago. I appeared before the Magistrate in an Informal Hearing, and she dropped all the original charges (Got hit for Careless Driving, No Ops on Person, and No Insurance), and reduced the Careless Driving to a 5mph Over speeding ticket. Points were reduced from 3 points to 2, fees dropped by over $100, and I avoided the $150 "Michigan Driver Responsibility Fee."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06camarodude View Post
Whoever told you the Magistrate can't reduce the charge is blowing smoke. I got a ticket for Careless Driving a few years ago. I appeared before the Magistrate in an Informal Hearing, and she dropped all the original charges (Got hit for Careless Driving, No Ops on Person, and No Insurance), and reduced the Careless Driving to a 5mph Over speeding ticket. Points were reduced from 3 points to 2, fees dropped by over $100, and I avoided the $150 "Michigan Driver Responsibility Fee."
It said it in the letter the court sent me
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

In NYS, the prosecutor for NY State Police is not allowed to completely drop a speeding ticket. Although, it can be reduced by the judge. I was told this by an Assistant Prosecutor who announced it to an entire courtroom full of speeders when I went for my following too closely ticket.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got caught for speeding 83 in a 60 and he let me go with a warning. Couple years ago I got caught for 56 in a 35 and go let go as well. Guess im just lucky. Plead guilty and say what you were doing wrong and why you were speeding and they might reduce it.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should have gone the speed limit and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

this isn't true.. You drive a tj. This must be a joke

Good one

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
DutchNaumo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've got 4 tickets and never got any points or had to take any classes. I just had to pay my lawyer, which in the end is a lot cheaper than getting points.
DutchNaumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrook View Post
this isn't true.. You drive a tj. This must be a joke

Good one
I wish it was I never cease to go beyond the norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997_Sport View Post
Should have gone the speed limit and you wouldn't have to worry about it idiot.
Well I guess if you don't want to contribute anything intelligent to this thread thats okay and I hope it makes your day that you are name calling on the internet. Besides, I'm sure only idiots go over the limit once in awhile

So you guys are saying that I am basically getting points no matter what or can the ticket still be changed?
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Indy

No points in WY. I got a letter 1 day from my insurance company saying that due to my long term history with them I would NEVER be canceled and NEVER be ineligible for a new policy. The next day I got a letter from my insurance company saying that if I got another ticket (3 in 3 months) my rates would increase. I put both letter in the closet and let them fight it out

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
CmmdrDan

do they have probation before judgement there? i got pulled over doing 78 in a 55.(i thought i was going 80). i got PBJ and it dropped the points but still had the 160 dollar fine
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Most jurisdictions just want your money (PA especially!). I have gotten tickets in the past but have never gotten points as they were reduced to a lesser (different) charge that cost me more money out of pocket but no points (Pay more up front or points and more money later). I think it varies state to state but it has been years since I had to deal with your situation and things could be different.
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
rasbutan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy14295 View Post
In NYS, the prosecutor for NY State Police is not allowed to completely drop a speeding ticket. Although, it can be reduced by the judge. I was told this by an Assistant Prosecutor who announced it to an entire courtroom full of speeders when I went for my following too closely ticket.

This.

When I got pulled over a couple of years back, I went for the court date. The AP called each one of us up by name, and had already reduced the charge. If you accepted the deal, the AP just told the judge and you were free to go.

Ticket was for 16 over in a 25 zone. Dropped to 5-10 over without having to ask or negotiate.
rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Down here points get removed or reduced sometimes by taking a driver safety course.
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys thanks when it said they couldn't remove the points I was freakin out for a little bit! I guess I better get some cash out of my spring break fund then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.