another new-bee question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > another new-bee question

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 09-09-2001, 03:23 AM   #1
eliot22

another new-bee question

I'm moving to San Diego in a couple of months and was thinking "San Diego is made for Wranglers!" Sooo, I have decided on a 2002 X model. Since I am new to the Jeep world I was wondering what the important options that I should get. It will be for 99% street use (I say that now, but I'm sure I'll change my mind with my first 4x4 excursion!).
I definitely want some rims and large tires. I was thinking 15x8 rims with 31" tires. Would I be OK without a lift? Should I get 3.73 gears? I have 3.73's on my Mustang and they are a pain in the @ss on the highway.
I'm not worried about frills such as A/C, since the top will be off 24/7.
I see that cloth seats are now standard on anything above a SE, will this be an issue with the occasional open-top rainfall?

Sorry for all the new-bee questions and thanks in advance.
Eliot

eliot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2001, 04:03 AM   #2
eliot22

I forgot to mention that it will be a 5-spd (when considering gear ratio).
Unread 09-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Wicked YJ

I would most definatly get the 3.73 gears, you will like them a whole lot better if you get a lift and bigger tires. I don't know how much stuff you want, but you can get a Dana 44 axle option instead of the Dana 35. Cloth seats can be covered with waterproof seat covers from bestop, wet okela, and so on. ac would be nice, but I think, not quite sure, it is hard to do a body lift.
4" RE lift, 2" body lift, 4.10 gears, ford 8.8 in the rear, powertrax No-Slip in the rear, lockrite in the front, complete custom roll cage by Carolina rock shop, and corbeau seats and 5pt. harnesses, and of course herculined
Wicked YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2001, 05:42 PM   #4
eliot22

Hey thanks for the reply Wicked YJ. So what is the difference between the Dana 35 and 44? I saw that option at the Jeep website, but had no idea.
I'm not too sure if I will be getting a lift, what is the biggest tire I can run without a lift or fender-extenders with no rubbing?
What exactly is a body lift and why would someone get one rather than a suspension lift.
Please don't laugh, remember I'm new
Unread 09-09-2001, 06:30 PM   #5
ItzaTJ

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot22:
Hey thanks for the reply Wicked YJ. So what is the difference between the Dana 35 and 44? I saw that option at the Jeep website, but had no idea.
I'm not too sure if I will be getting a lift, what is the biggest tire I can run without a lift or fender-extenders with no rubbing?
What exactly is a body lift and why would someone get one rather than a suspension lift.
Please don't laugh, remember I'm new
The D44 is a stronger axle than the D35...
I ran 31s on my TJ without a lift for a year, and that was fine...I wouldn't go any larger with no lift if you don't want any rubbing, though.
A body lift just raises the Jeep's body, it doesn't give it any more ground clearance, and I think people have different reasons for getting them...
Hope that helps a little

-Kristi
ItzaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2001, 06:38 PM   #6
Wicked YJ

ItzaTJ is right.
The Dana 44 is stonger than the Dana 35. It has larger axle shafts, 31 spline, a bigger carrier, and a larger ring and pinion. The Dana 35 is also a c-clip axle which means that if it breaks you can't drive out without a spare axle shaft. A body lift would allow you to fit bigger tires without having to get a big lift. It also is cheaper.
4" RE lift, 2" body lift, 4.10 gears, ford 8.8 in the rear, powertrax No-Slip in the rear, lockrite in the front, complete custom roll cage by Carolina rock shop, and corbeau seats and 5pt. harnesses, and of course herculined
Wicked YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2001, 11:20 PM   #7
eliot22

Hey Kristi, that picture of your TJ titled "When it's clean..." is exactly the look I'm going for. Is that with the 33"s and 4" lift? Looks sweet!
Man, off roading is looking more and more appealing. I don't think I can afford another expensive hobby!
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:27 AM   #8
ItzaTJ

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot22:
Hey Kristi, that picture of your TJ titled "When it's clean..." is exactly the look I'm going for. Is that with the 33"s and 4" lift? Looks sweet!
Man, off roading is looking more and more appealing. I don't think I can afford another expensive hobby!
Thanks And yeah, it's got 33x12.5's and a 4" suspension lift...
ItzaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 05:12 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

As someone looking at getting a Jeep, if you want something that is strong, get the TJ with the 4.0 (6 cyl) engine, the Dana 44 axle and request the posi rear-end and the towing package (for better gearing).

31" tires will just squeeze in on a stock unit. A 2" spring puck lift from places like MacroMotive.com will cost $40 and allow you to run a 32" tire on the stock rim.

In general, do not use a body lift, unless you have already exhausted all other options. Body lifts are cheap to purchase, but they can cause more problems in the long run over a decent suspension lift.

Laters!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.