Another Mall Shooting! Illinois? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Another Mall Shooting! Illinois?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
trailblazer2003

Another Mall Shooting! Illinois?

Tragic, but I can't help but wonder why that honest Illinois citizen was carrying an illegal firearm on his person.

Mall Shooting

5 Dead In Tinley Park Clothing Store Shooting
Police: Gunman Still On The Loose
Reporting
Pamela Jones
TINLEY PARK, Ill. (CBS) ― Five people are dead in a shooting Saturday morning at a Lane Bryant clothing store in a strip mall in Tinley Park, and police say the gunman is still on the loose.

The Will County coroner's office confirmed five are dead from the shooting at the Lane Bryant store in the Brookside Marketplace Shopping Center, at 7264 W. 191st St.

Will County sheriff's office spokesman Pat Barry said one person had been taken to nearby St. James Hospital and Health Care Centers.

When police arrived, they found multiple victims shot and killed, Tinley Park police Sgt. T.J. Grady said.

There are reports that robbery may have been the motive in this case. However, Tinley Park Police cannot confirm that.

The first call of shots fired came into police at 10:44 a.m., Grady said. Grady said the store was open at the time of the shootings, but declined to say whether the victims were customers or employees. He gave no ages and said authorities are still trying to reach the victims' families.

The shopping center is at 191st Street and Harlem Avenue is just south of Interstate 80.

Police searched neighboring stores in the center, and used a police helicopter to search the surrounding area, Grady said. Cars in the parking lot were also searched.

Witnesses said police locked down neighboring stores in the center and searched the stores with guns drawn. The emergency closed at least 10 stores in the area, frightening employees.

"We kind of like didn't know what was going on," said Mike Jones, an employee of the Taco Bell adjacent to the retail store. "They told us to evacuate where we were."

Grady said a search of all stores in the mall and an air search of the area indicated that the gunman fled. How the gunman was able to walk into the store and pull the trigger and able to leave the area are just two of the questions investigators are asking Saturday night.

He was described as an African-American male of medium complexion, standing 5 feet 8 inches and weighing 230 to 260 pounds, with a black knit cap, a black waist-length winter coat, and dark jeans, Grady said.

Greg Grace of Frankfort, who was in the parking lot outside Lane Bryant, said he saw several stretchers being wheeled into the store. The stretchers later were wheeled out carrying no patients. Two large county vans backed up to the front of the building Saturday afternoon and a white canopy was placed over the front of the building.

"We're very sad about it," a clearly shaken Mayor Edward Zabrocki said from the scene. "It's ... we're a victim of our society that we live in."

Police were allowing some shoppers into parts of the strip mall Saturday afternoon, but had cordoned off the Lane Bryant store.

Patricia May says her daughter shops at the store all the time, and could have been there when it happened.

"My daughter is a Lane Bryant junkie," May said. "I went home to call her because she was supposed to meet me at Best Buy and when I came over here, they said it's a crime scene and I went 'yeah, right.'"

The Cook County Sheriff's Department was helping with the investigation, providing a helicopter and K-9 patrol unit Saturday, said spokeswoman Penny Mateck. Police from several agencies that make up the South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force are investigating. They say they have no motive for the crimes.

Messages left at Lane Bryant Brand headquarters were not immediately returned.

Violent crime this this south suburb is very rare. There has only been one murder in the past eight years, and that was in 1999. Anyone with information is asked to call Tinley Park police at (708) 444-5368.

trailblazer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very sad news...
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OP - You said why he had a gun sarcastically. The anti-guns will use this as more, ammo, to further their disarmement cause. Now, had someone dropped that bag of **** in the Lane Bryant, I'm sure the P.D. would have happily hauled him off to jail as fast as they could. Just can't win in a place where citizens are not allowed what-so-ever to protect themselves.

I say where were the police before those people died? Why didn't they get there and arrest the man when he walked up with his gun, why didn't they know he was going to do this if they don't allow their citizens the right of self defense?

I hate gun laws, and the people that support them.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My guess is that if a "would-be" criminal knew there was a strong possiblity he was not the only one in the room carrying a loaded gun, he would be a lot less likely to commit a crime.

Truely a sad story, Tinley Park is a pretty nice community. I have been to that mall. It is nice.
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

I'm like 15 minutes away from there
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
trailblazer2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087
OP - You said why he had a gun sarcastically. The anti-guns will use this as more, ammo, to further their disarmement cause. Now, had someone dropped that bag of **** in the Lane Bryant, I'm sure the P.D. would have happily hauled him off to jail as fast as they could. Just can't win in a place where citizens are not allowed what-so-ever to protect themselves.

I say where were the police before those people died? Why didn't they get there and arrest the man when he walked up with his gun, why didn't they know he was going to do this if they don't allow their citizens the right of self defense?

I hate gun laws, and the people that support them.
I was being sarcastic. As in the Peoples Republic of Illinois, where you don't have a chance in hell of defending yourself tone. It's amazing that despite the other 48 sates stance on concealed/open carry that Illinois still thinks they are doing the "right" thing by not allowing it. You are correct, this latest incident will probably invoke more legislation against the legal gun owners of Illinois.

It's a sad incident in a pitiful state. It was nice to have moved from Chicago a few years back, but will be returning in a about a year. I can only hope this incident will have the opposite effect, and give the legislators a reason to pass concealed carry!!
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer2003
It was nice to have moved from Chicago a few years back, but will be returning in a about a year.
You moved from Illinois to CALIFORNIA????

NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
trailblazer2003

Sorta. We actually moved to MD for a few years, then my wife became a traveling nurse. We currently travel the country 3 mths at a time in each location. We started in NC, and currently we are in CA. I have been to some great states in the past 1 1/2 yrs, NC, MO, CO, AZ, VA. Interesting they all have pretty good concealed/open carry laws. Damn Illinois!!!
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

SARCASTIC QUESTION ALERT:

Why doesn't the media point out that all of these recent shootings happened in "gun free" zones?
Unread 02-03-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
TJforlife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Isn't Lane Bryant a store for the + size female? I am not against conceal/carry by any means, but it always seems to be an issue. I doubt many plus size females at this store would have been carrying at 10am. This seems like a meat- headed reason for hating a state. This state has done 100,000,000 other things truly corrupt in politics. The politicians don't want us having guns because they are criminals themselves.

Tinley Park is a nice area and it is sad for these people, I hope they find the person that did this.
TJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
Alg3188
2007 JK Wrangler 

im actually less then 15 min away from where the first mall shooting happened in omaha NE on december 5th. and i actually was going to go there that day just to look around, but decided to take a nap instead. theres a slim to none chance that i would have been at von maur but still im glad i wasnt there. and my sister was actually going to go to von maur with her friend that day, but she got in a fight with her boyfriend and ended up not going. and one of my buddies moms friend's was there volunteering to wrap presents, and is one of the people who got shot and killed....but it pisses me off that one person goes into somewhere and starts shooting, all kinds of other people decide to do the same thing. kinda ****ed up(much like the school shootings back in the day). but thats why im for concealed weapon laws. and i plan on getting a hand gun when i turn 21 and am able to ...this is a little off topic, but if you wanted some protection for your family would u rather have a shotgun or a handgun? i know that most will say a shotgun because of its power, but what do you think are the pros/cons of both
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)Nobody Gives it to you. You Have To Take it.
Whoever said life is good, must have been driving a Jeep. Stir Things Up
Alg3188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
RAMBOY

Aren't handguns completely illegal in the city of Chicago and some of the suburbs?
RAMBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
JLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBOY View Post
Aren't handguns completely illegal in the city of Chicago and some of the suburbs?
That's the irony. No CCW allowed.

You don't hear about this crap in Florida or Texas.
JLeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
WMW0505
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alg3188 View Post
im actually less then 15 min away from where the first mall shooting happened in omaha NE on december 5th. and i actually was going to go there that day just to look around, but decided to take a nap instead. theres a slim to none chance that i would have been at von maur but still im glad i wasnt there. and my sister was actually going to go to von maur with her friend that day, but she got in a fight with her boyfriend and ended up not going. and one of my buddies moms friend's was there volunteering to wrap presents, and is one of the people who got shot and killed....but it pisses me off that one person goes into somewhere and starts shooting, all kinds of other people decide to do the same thing. kinda ****ed up(much like the school shootings back in the day). but thats why im for concealed weapon laws. and i plan on getting a hand gun when i turn 21 and am able to ...this is a little off topic, but if you wanted some protection for your family would u rather have a shotgun or a handgun? i know that most will say a shotgun because of its power, but what do you think are the pros/cons of both

When I turned 18 I bought a Remington 870 12 ga with an 18" barrel and extenstion tube. When I turn 21 I will own a handgun, the pistol is much faster to point and aim in a home setting. But you also have a higher chance of shooting though walls and possibly at your own family. Either one will more than likely stop someone that is in your home.
D44 open
33x12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
4.56:1 gears
WMW0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
OldMuttDriver
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBOY View Post
Yes, Chicago has handgun registration, which was "closed" long ago, so most residents cannot own a handgun in the city. In addition, some of the suburbs have handgun bans. Cook County also has an "Assault Weapon" ban. There is currently no CCW, and a resident can only carry a handgun within their home or fixed place of business. Not surprisingly, most if not all of the state anti-gun legislation originates from Chicago lawmakers, as downstate Democrats are almost universally pro-gun and pro-hunting. And just remember, all you non-Illinois residents, Obama is a former Chicago lawmaker.
OldMuttDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.