Another Dumb ECM Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Another Dumb ECM Question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
secretasiandan
1998 ZJ 

Another Dumb ECM Question

Hi All, Thanks for taking the time to read my first thread.
Recently my 98 jgc 4.0 4x4 started stalling out on me. with 120k+ miles i figured it was the fuel pump, so I changed it out, cleaned the tank and cleaned the throttle body which was gross. it ran great for a day and the same issues arose of stumbling and stalling. After reading some threads on the ECM and how to check it by wiggling the plugs while the engine was running. I was able to diagnose that the ECM was the cause of the stalls, atleast I'm pretty sure it's 1 cause.
So now I want to replace the ECM, which looks pretty straight forward and easy. Remove the two screws, unplug the three plugs and swap, easy right?

So i go online to my local parts store and look up the ECM and atleast half a dozen pop up with diffrent part numbers and prices. how do I determine which is the right replacement? and does it really need to be programmed or flashed? I've read some threads saying yeah its important and some sayn no doesnt matter, now im just confused. and with an average price of $300, I cant chance it. if any of you have done this with your rigs and can help a brotha out, it would greatly be appreciated.

jeep.jpg  
secretasiandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
radiodoctor

Same Here !!! What's the deal ? Do you really have to "reflash" a JGC ? The car ain't worth much more than the tires and wheels, but I need to keep it going a few more months.
radiodoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.