American Vehicles vs. Foreign Vehicles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > American Vehicles vs. Foreign Vehicles

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
famicom21

American Vehicles vs. Foreign Vehicles

i am doing a persuasive speech for my public speaking class and i am arguing that one should buy an american car over a foreign one. the people i am arguing to are all tree hugging hippy liberals so this will be a tough one.

i can use all the help i can get.

specifically, if you have links to any good news stories or charts and graphs, they would be very helpful as i am making a power point on the subject.

opposing views welcome too, i need to know what im up against.

i would ike to downsize the myths that american cars break down more often and that they get worse mileage.

let the arguments begin!

thanks guys

Last edited by famicom21; 10-10-2006 at 04:12 PM..
famicom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicom21
i would ike to downsize the myths that american cars break down more often and that they get worse mileage.:
Talk to any Land Rover owner about this one... My Disco is unstoppable...unless the fuel pump goes out again. Or one of the 3 radiators springs another leak. Or the power steering fluid starts shooting all over the engine. Or the Hazard lights randomly come on for no reason. Or the cruise control stops working and only an 800 dollar part will fix it. Or turning the key just won't start it until the 10th try. Or my wife has been driving and the power seat is stuck about 3 inches from the steering wheel. Other than that it's way better than my jeep. And yet I love it
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
cmotsvt

Domestic v. foreign is pretty blurry these days. Foreign cars made in the USA/domestic vehicles mad abroad. If you look at fuel economy of a foreign car v. domestic, the foreign car will win hands down. Good luck trying to skew that one into your favor.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt
Domestic v. foreign is pretty blurry these days. Foreign cars made in the USA/domestic vehicles mad abroad. If you look at fuel economy of a foreign car v. domestic, the foreign car will win hands down. Good luck trying to skew that one into your favor.
the trouble is that i KNOW that the mieage estimates are wrong. on the buick site, their cars supposidly get 22-25 mpg. but my moms lesabre gets 32.

my jeep should get about 10-14

yet i get 24

so i cant really go by the estimates.

there is also the whole thing about supporting the american workers and paying americans to work rather than outsourcing and
a) increasign the trade deficate (sp?)
b) taking $$$ away from retiring american employees
but i do have a popular science story about how the epa cant properly estimate mileage..
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Kameel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt
Exactly, famicom21 ... american/foreign built or designed?

My neighbour drives a Grand that's built in Austria, and i'm sure you know someone with a Honda built is the US..
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

ill take care of all the various stereotypes in advance

American cars are unreliable
Foreign cars are reliable
American cars are bad handling
Foreign are great handling
American cars have no resale
Foreign do have great resale
American cars are bland and boring
Foreign cars are hip and stylish
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameel
Exactly, famicom21 ... american/foreign built or designed?

My neighbour drives a Grand that's built in Austria, and i'm sure you know someone with a Honda built is the US..
im talking companies.- where they are based

we buy lots of japanese cars, yet they buy next to none american cars... ther is no balance.
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
ill take care of all the various stereotypes in advance

American cars are unreliable
Foreign cars are reliable
American cars are bad handling
Foreign are great handling
American cars have no resale
Foreign do have great resale
American cars are bland and boring
Foreign cars are hip and stylish
exactly.... now help me turn those around..... if its possible...

i knwo that i will always have an american car... an OLD american car. probably nothing after the year 2000 (unless its a jeep, the 06's look pretty good). to me there is just a feel... a feel that most "normal" people dont get...
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Point out that American cars are cheaper to repair. Compare the price of comparable parts. Corvette engine vs. Mercedes engine. Jeep transmission vs. Land Rover transmission. etc.....

You have a better shot at being able to do your own repairs on a domestic car because of tech support and cheaper parts.
Texan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
Point out that American cars are cheaper to repair. Compare the price of comparable parts. Corvette engine vs. Mercedes engine. Jeep transmission vs. Land Rover transmission. etc.....

You have a better shot at being able to do your own repairs on a domestic car because of tech support and cheaper parts.
now there is something useful

now i need to find some #'s...
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

My dad worked for Chryco for 15 years, as did the fathers and family of many kids from my hometown. When the American auto companies refused to address their quality issues, the public started buying foreign built vehicles. Because of this, my father, and many other people in my hometown, lost thier jobs. For this very reason, I will NEVER buy a foreign built vehicle. The KJ we own is 79% American built according to the sticker. That's even more than I would like. I won't even rent a vehicle made by a company other than the big 3. The American automobile companies are a big part of our national economy, because I like being an American, I'm spending my money accordingly.

Should I tell you how I feel about the Kia Sportage in town with a spare tire cover with an American Flag and "There's only one..." ? My question is always, "There's only one what?"
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
famicom21

im reading through this now:
http://money.cnn.com/2001/08/17/onwheels/onwheels/a.htm
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
My dad worked for Chryco for 15 years, as did the fathers and family of many kids from my hometown. When the American auto companies refused to address their quality issues, the public started buying foreign built vehicles. Because of this, my father, and many other people in my hometown, lost thier jobs. For this very reason, I will NEVER buy a foreign built vehicle. The KJ we own is 79% American built according to the sticker. That's even more than I would like. I won't even rent a vehicle made by a company other than the big 3. The American automobile companies are a big part of our national economy, because I like being an American, I'm spending my money accordingly.

Should I tell you how I feel about the Kia Sportage in town with a spare tire cover with an American Flag and "There's only one..." ? My question is always, "There's only one what?"
I agree with you man!! Nothing pisses me off more than seeing an American flag on a imported car. Last week at the Crystal Lake 4x4 fest, there were a few yotas with huge American flags tied to the roll bars. It pissed me off to see guys strapping American flags to a jap truck. IMO if your so "American" why the hell are you driving a toyota?

And as for famicom21's speech, point out the fact that now that toyota is growing to the size of a company like Gm, Ford, or DC, they are beginning to have just as many recalls, reliability issues, etc as american cars are said to have (although i dont believe american cars are less reliable.) When your a smaller company, its much easier to keep up on every "quality control" issue. I personally know a family who has owned 3 toyota camery's and have had to have the engine replaced in all three of them under waranty with under 100K on all of them. And yes, they did change the oil every 3k, etc. Another woman at work has a honda odyssey minivan, 04 model on its 4th auto tranny. So who says an american car is less reliable than a foreign car? IMO its all a matter of preventative maintenance and simply "luck". There are good and bad in both foreign and domestic cars. I personally will never own an imported car. Im american, live in america, and refuse to send my money overseas on a major purchase like an automobile. I know that i cant control everything that i own as far as foreign made vs domestic made, but i try to buy american every chance possible.
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)

Last edited by 19OlllllllO41; 10-10-2006 at 04:36 PM..
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
rodneyw71

Alot of the foreign cars are made here, but the money goes back to their country of origin.
rodneyw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
Ubie
Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
My dad worked for Chryco for 15 years, as did the fathers and family of many kids from my hometown. When the American auto companies refused to address their quality issues, the public started buying foreign built vehicles. Because of this, my father, and many other people in my hometown, lost thier jobs. For this very reason, I will NEVER buy a foreign built vehicle.
Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but i don't quite follow. You won't buy a foreign car because 15 years ago they addressed quality control issues and american companies didn't?

Those people lost their jobs because other people found (what they perceived to be) a better product elsewhere. Instead of addressing the problem the big 3 let things continue to go down the tubes while other auto makers continued to improve in areas where they were deficient. So that's why you continue to only buy from the big 3? I am completely don't understand the logic train here.

There are lots of reasons to buy from the big 3 today, i will be the first to say. Quality control issues are pretty much on par with the rest of the world, it's easier to maintain most American vehicles, and there's always the trade deficit to worry about. But i just don't get why you choose that line of reasoning.
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.