American Top gear...... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM
GMad
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Telford
Posts: 37
Some say, that here in the UK if we like something American, we simply import it and that when America tries to copy something, from another part of the world, they always cock it up!
All I know, is that I'm glad I come from the land that invented engineering!
I'm biased because I am an engineer and I have a huge interest in anything that has an internal combustion engine. Not all Americans get the dry British humour and so it's probably a good thing that you have your own Top Gear.
Maybe they should have given it a different name, maybe they should have different presenters and maybe you should all give it a chance to improve.
All I know, is that I just can't bring myself to sit through a whole episode of that tedious American cock up of a show!
GMad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 Old 08-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Nick05
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: alma
Posts: 587
the only episode that i liked on the american show was when they went to alaska with older trucks, but the presenters weren't worth watching. i only watched to see the ford break down first, then see who did next. if you've seen this episode, you will understand this comment, who buys a truck and doesn't look under the hood to verify gas or diesel before goin on camera to say its diesel?
Nick05 is offline  
post #63 of 71 Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM
aaron580
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Martinsville
Posts: 218
These guys are absolute morons.
aaron580 is offline  
post #64 of 71 Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM
gazzo
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 1,688
The Australian Top Gear made me puke too. Just rubbish.

Gary (gazzo)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline  
post #65 of 71 Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Some say, that here in the UK if we like something American, we simply import it and that when America tries to copy something, from another part of the world, they always cock it up!
All I know, is that I'm glad I come from the land that invented engineering!
I'm biased because I am an engineer and I have a huge interest in anything that has an internal combustion engine. Not all Americans get the dry British humour and so it's probably a good thing that you have your own Top Gear.
Maybe they should have given it a different name, maybe they should have different presenters and maybe you should all give it a chance to improve.
All I know, is that I just can't bring myself to sit through a whole episode of that tedious American cock up of a show!
Well there's also Top Gear Korea, Russia and Australia which are all arguably far worse. The problem in recreating a decade-plus old series is that it's tough to come up with original content (e.g. challenges) for it, and it doesn't help that none of them really have as media-heavy backgrounds as the UK crew. Rutledge and Tanner are okay, but Adam is annoying as hell and clearly the most out of his element. Another huge factor is advertisers -- the UK can get away with bashing on anything and everything. How many times has Clarkson said something racist and yet he's still getting huge paychecks? Over here, no one would get a second chance like that and my god have mercy on your soul if you whisper a breath of negativity about Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

I dunno, I think we copied The Office, Whose Line? and House of Cards pretty well.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #66 of 71 Old 08-11-2014, 04:34 PM
GMad
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Telford
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Well there's also Top Gear Korea, Russia and Australia which are all arguably far worse. The problem in recreating a decade-plus old series is that it's tough to come up with original content (e.g. challenges) for it, and it doesn't help that none of them really have as media-heavy backgrounds as the UK crew. Rutledge and Tanner are okay, but Adam is annoying as hell and clearly the most out of his element. Another huge factor is advertisers -- the UK can get away with bashing on anything and everything. How many times has Clarkson said something racist and yet he's still getting huge paychecks? Over here, no one would get a second chance like that and my god have mercy on your soul if you whisper a breath of negativity about Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

I dunno, I think we copied The Office, Whose Line? and House of Cards pretty well.
Yeah I'm sure you're right, although I can't really comment as I've only seen British Top Gear and American Top Gear!
I'll get my arse onto youtube and report back
GMad is offline  
post #67 of 71 Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo
The Australian Top Gear made me puke too. Just rubbish.
I don't mind the Australian one. Better than the American one.

Korean too gear is better than the American one and I have no idea what the hell they're saying.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #68 of 71 Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
DangFoo
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakland
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport
American top gear sucks.
Yes, it most certainly does. The three hosts have no chemistry and they're all obnoxious; especially the skinny runt drifter guy.

I tried giving the show a 2nd chance and couldn't take more than 15 minutes ... blows.
DangFoo is offline  
post #69 of 71 Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM
bobjp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,957
You know it's bad when they don't care if you upload it to youtube unlike the UK version. It's still entertaining, they just should have just picked better hosts.

I do find it amusing that the British guy above is commenting on American quality. You know Jeremy Clarkson does it in the name of irony. It's not actually reasonable for a British person to make blanket statements about quality especially with regards to cars. And leave it to a British dude to think they invented engineering. You're almost as conceited as the Germans.

97 TJ sport.
bobjp is offline  
post #70 of 71 Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 AM
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
You know it's bad when they don't care if you upload it to youtube unlike the UK version.
The UK version has tons of unlicensed music that's changed for US broadcast before it can even air here.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #71 of 71 Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
biggn235
DAS Man
 
biggn235's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hotels
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
You know it's bad when they don't care if you upload it to youtube unlike the UK version. It's still entertaining, they just should have just picked better hosts.

I do find it amusing that the British guy above is commenting on American quality. You know Jeremy Clarkson does it in the name of irony. It's not actually reasonable for a British person to make blanket statements about quality especially with regards to cars. And leave it to a British dude to think they invented engineering. You're almost as conceited as the Germans.
Thank you for saying this.

Amp'd 2014 JK -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK 94XJ
biggn235 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
bud american ale Motorcharge General Discussion 39 01-13-2009 04:23 PM
Being an American RedRubiconLJ General Discussion 10 01-20-2007 01:28 PM
The American G. I. JerDog53 General Discussion 0 12-07-2006 12:46 PM
DC is American? GenXSlkr General Discussion 5 07-22-2003 09:47 AM
I am an American Quan General Discussion 1 03-30-2003 10:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome