American Top gear...... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > American Top gear......

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Ape View Post
I still think jay leno and tim allen would have been better hosts, not that the current ones are terrible or anything.
Oh if jay leno would have been on this show it would have been one of the best shows to come out in years. He is the man, a great host, has an incredible and diverse collection of cars, and he knows cars! He could start a show where for an hour he just talks about cars and bikes in his collection and it would be infinitely better than this. Tim Allen would have been great as well.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
hockeyplayer21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have only seen bits and pieces of the original top gear, but I'm interested in cars, and no matter how bad the hosts are, i'll still watch the new one to check out the cars. The guy from lost was terrible, but what do you expect from someone who drives a prius! I know they don't get too technical about the cars, but the thing is most people in the united states could care less about how the cars brake or the steering feel, and pretty much only know about horsepower anyways, so it's tough to market it that way to get a large enough audience.
hockeyplayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer21 View Post
I have only seen bits and pieces of the original top gear, but I'm interested in cars, and no matter how bad the hosts are, i'll still watch the new one to check out the cars. The guy from lost was terrible, but what do you expect from someone who drives a prius! I know they don't get too technical about the cars, but the thing is most people in the united states could care less about how the cars brake or the steering feel, and pretty much only know about horsepower anyways, so it's tough to market it that way to get a large enough audience.
I see what you are saying but I respectfully disagree. Top gear is not meant to cater to the guy who nows nothing about cars. There are loads of people in the states who are knowledgeable about cars. This website is proof. For years we have been forced to watch car shows that water down everything and top gear is supposed to be a show for actual enthusiasts. If you don't know your stuff than just enjoy the clips and pretend you know what they are talking about odds are you will still learn a lot. I love watching stuff about cars but imo this show really has little to bring to the table from what I have seen. I would rather just watch videos of jay Lenos garage on youtube then listen to some fat guy complian about power and slandering the brits.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Jeremy Clarkson may not be perfect but the guy knows his cars, he's entertaining, and he gives well rounded reviews. I have never been offended by his anti american remarks and usually I agree. It is called constructive criticism. The guys makes fun of land rovers like its his job it's not like his criticism is in any way based on nationality. He owns several american cars.
If an American TV show did this, there would be so much backlash from the car manufacturers that the show's funding would be severely cut back. Clarkson has alienated several manufacturers for doing just that, so much that Top Gear UK has to buy some cars outright to feature them on the show as opposed to getting a free demo. Hence their cut in budget and reduction of the number of shows they're doing per season these days.

Maybe back in the 90's, sure, but we're such a overly-PC country now that any negative view on anything, even in the form of constructive criticism, brings out the whiners (everyone is special!) The BBC constantly has to turn its cheek for some of the stuff Clarkson says and does, but the show's established success keeps everything above water so it doesn't matter and they just keep rolling.

GIVE IT TIME.

Holy hell some of you have this outrageous sense of entitlement to immediate satisfaction from a TV show just because it has the same name and concept of something that took several years to perfect in another country. You know, The Office wasn't all that great at first either, and that was a UK ripoff as well.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

My biggest gripe with the show is the hosts.

Lets break this down:

Jeremy Clarkson: Jeremy Clarkson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Hammond: Richard Hammond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James May: James May - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are car journalists, all three of them prior to getting into Top Gear. Each has a side specialty. May does work on science, fine food and drink, toys and technology. Hammond does work on science and history. Clarkson does work on military history, engineering, and some politics.

Now lets look at the US hosts.

Adam Ferrara: Adam Ferrara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much just a stand up comedian, and an actor.

Tanner Foust: Tanner Foust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much just a stunt and race driver.

Rutledge Wood: Rutledge Wood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much a NASCAR analyst/race analyst.

2 of the three hosts so far on the show act like they don't know how a car works (Ferrara and Wood), Foust has the personality of a 2x4 so far, which is pretty much the same with all of them so far.

I hope they loosen up.

The best hosts for the US show would have been:

Tim Allen, Christopher Titus, and Chip Foose.

Now that would have rivaled the UK hosts IMO.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #21
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor7474 View Post

2 of the three hosts so far on the show act like they don't know how a car works (Ferrara and Wood), Foust has the personality of a 2x4 so far, which is pretty much the same with all of them so far.

I hope they loosen up.

hahaha I lol'd so hard at that. But seriously Tim Allen would be sweet

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will only disagree with the mention of Foose. Chip also has the personality of a 2X4.
Stacey from Gearz would go well with Tim Allen and Christopher Titus.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I watched the Viper vs. the Cobra episode mainly because it was filmed right next door to my work. I walked outside and saw the Cobra bouncing in and out of the trees and going up and down the runway at the Griffin Airport. There were several times when I really thought the Cobra had landed behind our warehouse in the parking lot.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Just watched the latest episode with the blind guy doin the drift. Pretty good show..
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:

Lets break this down:

They are car journalists, all three of them prior to getting into Top Gear. Each has a side specialty. May does work on science, fine food and drink, toys and technology. Hammond does work on science and history. Clarkson does work on military history, engineering, and some politics.

I hope they loosen up.

I was just about to comment on that.

The hosts are not the best personality wise and the script is absolutely terrible.

IMO it is terrible that this show is to scared come down on american automakers simply because they wouldn't like it. I am all about America but I hate to support so many of our automakers when I see the shortcuts they take. Clarkson is a great host because he supplies the facts and specifications of a car and reviews it more or less on paper. Then he tells you what it actually drives like and if he likes it or not. When you watch the show you understand his viewpoints. It is interesting to see what he has to say and how he makes his opinions. I have learned a lot from that show. This show is just like every other cart show. Poorly scripted watered down and afraid to say the truth.

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yea I regret putting Foose up there, but I was just thinking of "car guys" with personality (which obviously Foose is lacking).

Titus is a car nut and has a great personality.

Allen is a car nut and has a great personality.

We need a 3rd and Leno would never do it he's too expensive and won't leave late night TV.

The things that make the UK show great are the hosts personalities, and the film crew are great.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jerry Seinfeld would be perfect. He's not doing anything these days and is hugely into cars (especially Porsches, like Hammond).
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
ktreem16
2006 TJ Wrangler 

is anyone else bothered by the fact that we've just been copying shows from bbc? i mean i love the office, i like the american one more, but top gear now is just a complete ripoff of the bbc version. they couldn't have changed the name of the stig? they couldn't have thought up a segment of their own? wheres the creativity?
ktreem16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
A series with one show under its belt (okay, two if you want to get technical) vs. another with 16 seasons. Yeah, they're going to be different. Holy **** give it some time. Go watch the first three seasons of Top Gear UK...boring as ****.
But this is the problem, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! Down the exact structure of the show, studio, even their table is the same! It's the hosts that aren't good.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Lets break this down:

I hope they loosen up.

I completely agree. It's our American way though, what do you think football players want to do when they retire? They want to be analysts/announcers. And usually they aren't that good. They did the same kind of thing here, where on the BBC Top Gear Jeremy, Hammond, and Clarkson are great journalists who do other stuff, who HAPPEN to love cars. It would like taking a F1 driver and having him host, so he knows a lot about cars, but that doesn't make him a funny host that can relate to the audience.

Difference: People who don't care much about cars still love Top Gear BBC (my mom), and those same people would not find Top Gear America that good at all.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.