American Top gear...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > American Top gear......

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

American Top gear......

I expected it to be boring......and it was. I love watching Top Gear and I love car shows. This show would be better if it wasn't called Top Gear. Maybe once they loosen up a little it will get better, but it's not nearly as good as actual Top Gear. I hope it gets better because so far it's not good. Real Top Gear makes you laugh a lot, but this one doesn't seem funny. Another thing is people I know that aren't into cars like to watch Top Gear, but I think anyone who isn't into cars will find this show boring. It's on History channel on Sundays (at 9, maybe???). What to you guys think?

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A series with one show under its belt (okay, two if you want to get technical) vs. another with 16 seasons. Yeah, they're going to be different. Holy **** give it some time. Go watch the first three seasons of Top Gear UK...boring as ****.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I agree although the first few season of the british top gear weren't that good either
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
A series with one show under its belt (okay, two if you want to get technical) vs. another with 16 seasons. Yeah, they're going to be different. Holy **** give it some time. Go watch the first three seasons of Top Gear UK...boring as ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
I agree although the first few season of the british top gear weren't that good either
That is true, I'm going to keep watching it, but I'm going to be reluctant to accept another Top Gear, the original is so good
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Seven and Ten, I just checked. I have all of the British seasons on DVD and love the show. With that said, the first season before James May was terrible. I just don't know if our version will be given the chance to have the bugs worked out like theirs did.
0sevenjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

II guess I'm too slow typing on my phone. what they said.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Car shows are cool and all but top gear makes it seem like the hosts are whacking it while driving the car.

"OH MY GOD, its so amazing, oh yes, yes"

Pretty stupid. But everyone seems to like the show.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0sevenjk View Post
Seven and Ten, I just checked. I have all of the British seasons on DVD and love the show. With that said, the first season before James May was terrible. I just don't know if our version will be given the chance to have the bugs worked out like theirs did.
That's another good point, it could take them a few seasons to get into their own rhythm, if they can find it, but they might not make it that far.

I'll watch it, but I still think it's not going to be nearly as good as BBC Top Gear, and will take a little while to get better, if it's going to
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm sure it WOULD get better. They might have to shuffle hosts and there are plenty out there. With all the stock put into that show from the UK show doing so well it would be worth it to give it a few swings.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
bumzo1
2005 WK 

it comes on in 2 hours so I'll we'll see if its gotten any better since last time.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the logistics for the season are already in place, there aren't going to be on-the-fly content changes between episodes to cater to audience wishes. It probably won't get 'better' until next season.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
zillla
1975 CJ5 

The American guys need a British Accent!!! Just aint the same in plain merican engrish.
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Lil_Ape
2002 WJ 

I still think jay leno and tim allen would have been better hosts, not that the current ones are terrible or anything.
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There just isn't any passion in the presentation about the cars.
Even Captain Slow always comes across like he couldn't be any happier when he is driving or talking about the driving.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I am a huge fan of British top gear and I love Jeremy Clarkson. I have a paid subscription to their website and I read every article they write. I was pumped that we would get our own show. I was unable to watch the first episode but sat down to watch the second. I just finished shutting off the tv halfway through. I just couldn't stand watching a bunch of idiot no nothings rape top gear anymore. First part they raced an evo down a slope which was cool. Then the whole aston martin clip was just awkward and horrible. No **** their are faster more powerful cars you can buy for the money. Its like the only thing this guy knows is horsepower. No mention of torque, braking handling, suspension, nothing but horsepower. Its a goddam work of engineering art horsepower isn't everything. That review was pathetic. Then the stig lap was just a joke. It reminded me of that awkward clip on you tube of the awful sports reporter. The guy from lost just pissed me off. He obviously didn't know **** about cars. We have some incredibly knowledgeable american car enthusiasts who happen to be celebrity's (Jay Leno to name one). Why do you have to have some idiot who has a british accent and seems to knows nothing about cars other than that he doesn't want to own one unless it is electric. When he started talking about all his stupid fantasies i just shut the show off. I watch top gear to learn about the latest inovations in the automotive industry brought to me by automotive enthusiasts and experts. This is far from that. The stupid american pride bugged me as well. Lets be honest Americans can build cars that sell but they are not the best engineered in any way. When I watch a show like this I want some actual unbiased comparisons not just some fat guy talking about power. I can guarantee that aston martin did not decide to take advice from the american's and give the vantage more power. No american car even has a v12. That statement was just an example of an ignorant example of american pride.

And then saying that British are liars for putting 220mph on the dash. That is just retarded. It makes no sense. Why would you waste air time talking about that. Top speed on a speedo has nothing to do with the actual top speed. That time could have been spent talking about the interior details of the car or how the cars steers or handles in a turn, or the braking so many relevant things. Why waste the time with that worthless slam.

Jeremy Clarkson may not be perfect but the guy knows his cars, he's entertaining, and he gives well rounded reviews. I have never been offended by his anti american remarks and usually I agree. It is called constructive criticism. The guys makes fun of land rovers like its his job it's not like his criticism is in any way based on nationality. He owns several american cars.

Tanner (I believe that was his name, he was the one doing the evo) was the only one i enjoyed watching but his segment still seemed really scripted and it lacked much character. It like this show is just an incredibly watered down version of top gear. Extremely politically correct if your american and very little relevant information on the cars they review. It has no balls.

This may be a cool show for a 5 year old but for any real enthusiast it is pretty hard to watch.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.