Am I paying too much in tax deductions? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Marconis
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens
Posts: 339
Am I paying too much in tax deductions?

So I started my first real big boy job back in June and I think I filled out my tax form wrong, since I'm getting slammed on my pay checks. I didn't have anyone to help me when I was going through processing since the lady didn't know diddly, but I guess I can't add numbers properly or read. I've gotten pay for 5 weeks of work and so far nearly 33% of my gross pay has gone to taxes (state, federal, city, Medicare, and something called FICA; $30 in union dues are factored in per paycheck as well). This, to me, seems absurd. My tax exemption under federal says "02"...should I not have it this high? Or does the higher number mean less is taken out? I'm single and have no children and rent an apartment.

Thanks for the schooling.

FOR SALE 2000 XJ (Fern), ~129K miles, see specs in profile. Looking to sell at the end of May. PM me for details/offers.
Marconis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM
montero1
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Near PA
Posts: 333
You need to be at 0, with maybe a bit extra taken out per week. Higher the #, less they deduct. If you have no dependents, and don't own property, you shouldn't claim 2 dependents.
montero1 is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Marconis
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens
Posts: 339
Well, I changed it to 00 after heeding your advice as well as my fathers. I can't deal with the thought of more money being taken out per week, but I guess that refund will be nice and I won't owe anything. Taxes, taxes, taxes...

FOR SALE 2000 XJ (Fern), ~129K miles, see specs in profile. Looking to sell at the end of May. PM me for details/offers.
Marconis is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,467
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis
So I started my first real big boy job back in June and I think I filled out my tax form wrong, since I'm getting slammed on my pay checks. I didn't have anyone to help me when I was going through processing since the lady didn't know diddly, but I guess I can't add numbers properly or read. I've gotten pay for 5 weeks of work and so far nearly 33% of my gross pay has gone to taxes (state, federal, city, Medicare, and something called FICA; $30 in union dues are factored in per paycheck as well). This, to me, seems absurd. My tax exemption under federal says "02"...should I not have it this high? Or does the higher number mean less is taken out? I'm single and have no children and rent an apartment.

Thanks for the schooling.
Wait until you have a house, you'll have property taxes , and then kids. Between taxes and medical insurance it's 50% of my income

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 AM
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®
Posts: 5,836
33% is low. Welcome to america where we support liberals.

2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 AM
nwiTJdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,531
Just wait till you move up a few tax brackets.

www.militaryjeepers.com

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM
xj-jake
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Litchfield
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Well, I changed it to 00 after heeding your advice as well as my fathers. I can't deal with the thought of more money being taken out per week, but I guess that refund will be nice and I won't owe anything. Taxes, taxes, taxes...
I am in your situation with not having any deductions(kids,house, etc). I work on base plus comission pay. 35-40% of my gross goes to taxes. Normally my hourly wages for two weeks pluse part of my comissions are all paid in tax. FYI I make around $40k a year...

99 XJ 6.5" IRO Long Arm on 17" Pro Comp 7086 wheels w 33" Tires
xj-jake is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Dngrs1
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mohave Valley,AZ
Posts: 868
FICA is Social Security tax. Gotta support them old folks.
If your single, no dependents, don't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Somebody has to pay for all those refund checks for all those cute little low income dependents.
Try this; get a copy of this years state and federal tax tables. Figure out approximately what your gross income will be for this year. Subtract your standard deduction and personal exemption. Look up in the tax tables for this amount to find out what your tax will be. Make sure you have at least that amount withheld from your pay for the year. (Divide that amount by the number of paydays to know how much should come out of each check). The numbers are approximate because taxes change slightly year to year.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
Dngrs1 is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Hurley91
Registered User
2006  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Well, I changed it to 00 after heeding your advice as well as my fathers. I can't deal with the thought of more money being taken out per week, but I guess that refund will be nice and I won't owe anything. Taxes, taxes, taxes...
You should come to Canada.
Hurley91 is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Marconis
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Queens
Posts: 339
Thanks for the advice, all!

FOR SALE 2000 XJ (Fern), ~129K miles, see specs in profile. Looking to sell at the end of May. PM me for details/offers.
Marconis is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
You should come to Canada.
Why would he do that? I'm at about 40% deductions right now
WhiteOut is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
MountainMan864
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 3,656
Why care? Get more taken out and get a bigass check. I got almost 7k back last year.
MountainMan864 is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Dngrs1
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mohave Valley,AZ
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Why care? Get more taken out and get a bigass check. I got almost 7k back last year.
Interest free loan to the Gov't.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
Dngrs1 is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kingsland
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
FICA is Social Security tax. Gotta support them old folks.
If your single, no dependents, don't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Somebody has to pay for all those refund checks for all those cute little low income dependents.
Try this; get a copy of this years state and federal tax tables. Figure out approximately what your gross income will be for this year. Subtract your standard deduction and personal exemption. Look up in the tax tables for this amount to find out what your tax will be. Make sure you have at least that amount withheld from your pay for the year. (Divide that amount by the number of paydays to know how much should come out of each check). The numbers are approximate because taxes change slightly year to year.
I'm single and have no kids and have gotten a refund the past 3 years. First year I worked I had to pay $200 to them, after that it was like $100something to me(was still being claimed a dependent by my mom) and the next two years I got over 1k back.

04 TJ- Short Bus. It's got some stuff.


Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Why care? Get more taken out and get a bigass check. I got almost 7k back last year.
True, but I'd rather have the money now to either put into stocks (guaranteed 5% return) or into my retirement fund (bigger refund in Feb). This year with all the overpayment and my contribution to RRSPs I should see $10k. Which will go back into RRSP at tax time next year to get more of a refund.
WhiteOut is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome