Am I paying too much in tax deductions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Am I paying too much in tax deductions?

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Am I paying too much in tax deductions?

So I started my first real big boy job back in June and I think I filled out my tax form wrong, since I'm getting slammed on my pay checks. I didn't have anyone to help me when I was going through processing since the lady didn't know diddly, but I guess I can't add numbers properly or read. I've gotten pay for 5 weeks of work and so far nearly 33% of my gross pay has gone to taxes (state, federal, city, Medicare, and something called FICA; $30 in union dues are factored in per paycheck as well). This, to me, seems absurd. My tax exemption under federal says "02"...should I not have it this high? Or does the higher number mean less is taken out? I'm single and have no children and rent an apartment.

Thanks for the schooling.

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

You need to be at 0, with maybe a bit extra taken out per week. Higher the #, less they deduct. If you have no dependents, and don't own property, you shouldn't claim 2 dependents.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I changed it to 00 after heeding your advice as well as my fathers. I can't deal with the thought of more money being taken out per week, but I guess that refund will be nice and I won't owe anything. Taxes, taxes, taxes...
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis
So I started my first real big boy job back in June and I think I filled out my tax form wrong, since I'm getting slammed on my pay checks. I didn't have anyone to help me when I was going through processing since the lady didn't know diddly, but I guess I can't add numbers properly or read. I've gotten pay for 5 weeks of work and so far nearly 33% of my gross pay has gone to taxes (state, federal, city, Medicare, and something called FICA; $30 in union dues are factored in per paycheck as well). This, to me, seems absurd. My tax exemption under federal says "02"...should I not have it this high? Or does the higher number mean less is taken out? I'm single and have no children and rent an apartment.

Thanks for the schooling.
Wait until you have a house, you'll have property taxes , and then kids. Between taxes and medical insurance it's 50% of my income
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

33% is low. Welcome to america where we support liberals.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
nwiTJdave

Just wait till you move up a few tax brackets.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Well, I changed it to 00 after heeding your advice as well as my fathers. I can't deal with the thought of more money being taken out per week, but I guess that refund will be nice and I won't owe anything. Taxes, taxes, taxes...
I am in your situation with not having any deductions(kids,house, etc). I work on base plus comission pay. 35-40% of my gross goes to taxes. Normally my hourly wages for two weeks pluse part of my comissions are all paid in tax. FYI I make around $40k a year...
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

FICA is Social Security tax. Gotta support them old folks.
If your single, no dependents, don't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Somebody has to pay for all those refund checks for all those cute little low income dependents.
Try this; get a copy of this years state and federal tax tables. Figure out approximately what your gross income will be for this year. Subtract your standard deduction and personal exemption. Look up in the tax tables for this amount to find out what your tax will be. Make sure you have at least that amount withheld from your pay for the year. (Divide that amount by the number of paydays to know how much should come out of each check). The numbers are approximate because taxes change slightly year to year.
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
You should come to Canada.
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice, all!
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
You should come to Canada.
Why would he do that? I'm at about 40% deductions right now
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why care? Get more taken out and get a bigass check. I got almost 7k back last year.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Why care? Get more taken out and get a bigass check. I got almost 7k back last year.
Interest free loan to the Gov't.
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
FICA is Social Security tax. Gotta support them old folks.
If your single, no dependents, don't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Somebody has to pay for all those refund checks for all those cute little low income dependents.
Try this; get a copy of this years state and federal tax tables. Figure out approximately what your gross income will be for this year. Subtract your standard deduction and personal exemption. Look up in the tax tables for this amount to find out what your tax will be. Make sure you have at least that amount withheld from your pay for the year. (Divide that amount by the number of paydays to know how much should come out of each check). The numbers are approximate because taxes change slightly year to year.
I'm single and have no kids and have gotten a refund the past 3 years. First year I worked I had to pay $200 to them, after that it was like $100something to me(was still being claimed a dependent by my mom) and the next two years I got over 1k back.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
True, but I'd rather have the money now to either put into stocks (guaranteed 5% return) or into my retirement fund (bigger refund in Feb). This year with all the overpayment and my contribution to RRSPs I should see $10k. Which will go back into RRSP at tax time next year to get more of a refund.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.