For all you Washington residents... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > For all you Washington residents...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For all you Washington residents...

What's it like way up there?
I might end up moving there with my family because of my Step-dad's work, and from what I can tell, its better than South Carolina, which is one of the other options.
More specifically, I'm talking about the area around Tacoma and such. What's the weather like in the summer, winter? How's Jeepin' out there? Will I get made fun of if I come from Kentucky? And most importantly: are there pretty girls way up north?

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
What's the weather like in the summer, winter?
What's summer? We get about 2 months of warm weather and then it's overcast and cloudy for 10 months. Right now it's about 50 and.....overcast.
Winter is pretty mild. drops down in the teens every now and then and stays dark a long time. In the winter we get about 7 hours of overcast daytime. So if you like being cold and in the dark, come on up.
Quote:
How's Jeepin' out there?
Good jeepin'. Many places to go. I haven't been to many but there are plenty.
Quote:
Will I get made fun of if I come from Kentucky?
Yes. You will be considered a Bush loving redneck.
Quote:
are there pretty girls way up north?
It doesn't matter because you will only see them in raincoats.

I hope you like to pay more for gas because you will when you move up here. Washington state has a $.30 tax on top on the federal tax. But we don't have a state income tax, so it's a trade off.
What's wrong with South Cacalakee?
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's western WA. Eastern WA is a little different. Think sun and lots of it. The Cascades create a nice rain shadow that drops all the moisture west of there leaving sun and drier weather in the east. It's almost a desert climate out here.

For Jeeping you have many places, Naches, Reiter, Evan's Creek, Ahtanum, just to name a few. For sand dunes, Moses Lake, or Juniper in the east. There's lots more. I moved here from Illinois and I can tell you even with the gas tax being more than IL its still 10-15 cents cheaper than Illinois. Oh yeah and no state income tax and buying a home is so much cheaper, WA residents don't know how good they have it.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud04X
That's western WA. Eastern WA is a little different.
Unfortunately he asked
Quote:
More specifically, I'm talking about the area around Tacoma and such.
Yes eastern WA is like a whole different state. Here on the west sieeeed, it's wet and expensive.

Also Tacoma has a strange odor that lingers there. I think there was once a paper mill, but now I'm not sure. All I know is there is the aroma of Tacoma.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I grew up in Spokane and going to college in Bellingham. East and West is really different. The best thing about WA is how diverse it is climate and socail wise. East is conserative and west is liberal. Really green on the west and really dry in the east. You have an ocean, sand dunes, moutians, and weat fields within six hours of driving from any corrner. The Pacific NW and Inland NW provides many sites and sounds, weather it is out doors or visiting cities. Got some well know state colleges too.

Most likely you'll pay more for gas and booze that where you are coming from.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xgore View Post
Also Tacoma has a strange odor that lingers there. I think there was once a paper mill, but now I'm not sure. All I know is there is the aroma of Tacoma.
There used to be back in the day as I would remember smelling it while passing by on the bus en route to field trips in grade school. The industrial area downtown has been cleaned up a lot and several of the more polluting business have moved or shut down. I was even looking at some new apartments a few years ago built right on the water and couldn't smell anything mildly offensive.

Quote:
What's the weather like in the summer, winter?
Summer is great. 80's to 90's with fairly low humidity; might hit 100 for a couple days. Winters are a toss up. They can be cold and clear or wet and nasty. I love inclement weather, so some of my best hiking days are in 40º downpours. If that's not for you, make sure you have some indoor hobbies to keep you occupied until spring arrives. There's an indoor soccer center right downtown next to the dome and they always need refs...

Quote:
How's Jeepin' out there?
Mud and trees west of the Cascades; scrub and rock on the east. Lupinsea takes great pics of his trips and he's covered most of the state: http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/of...ng/Menu46.html

There's a little bit of everything really.

Quote:
Will I get made fun of if I come from Kentucky?
It depends. This area is full of people from all over with a wide variety of accents and dialects but the indigenous population speaks very plainly with no regionally-incriminating accent. If you call pop 'soda' or 'warsh' your clothes, people might blink and look at you funny for a second though. I wouldn't worry about it. You might get a hard time, but not in a malicious way.

Quote:
are there pretty girls way up north?
I don't know how they look in KY so I can't really make a fair comparison to say for sure. I think there are, but they're usually married right out of high school, divorced with 3 kids, psycho, too high-maintenance or just man-hating femme-Nazis. It all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice and put up with. I think all the decent ones are hiding out in the rural areas.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Comanche_

Washington has a little bit of everything. there are trails, rocks,desert, sand dunes,mud. Everything.

Western side is wet, overcast and very expensive to live in. also alot of enviro-natzies.More densly populated. Dont go there much so thats all I really know.

Eastern side is dry, hot,and cheaper to live in. More conservitive.

Just yeasterday it snowed over in spokane,pullman,ext. But normaly in the eastern side has long cold winters( it got down to -14 one night here) And gets to be HOT in the summer (100+) days.

Also there are no smog reqirements.(at least on the eastern side?)
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
What's it like way up there?
I might end up moving there with my family because of my Step-dad's work, and from what I can tell, its better than South Carolina, which is one of the other options.
More specifically, I'm talking about the area around Tacoma and such. What's the weather like in the summer, winter? How's Jeepin' out there? Will I get made fun of if I come from Kentucky? And most importantly: are there pretty girls way up north?
I moved to Seattle's Eastside 8 years ago from Chicago. Prior to that, I lived, amongst other places, outside of Boston, Houston, San Diego and then LA, and Oahu.

T-Town is a lot more blue collar than Seattle, but both are a really cool place. It came down to SF, Charlotte and Seattle for me, and while I wish occassionally that I had picked Charlotte, overall like it enough here that since we've settled in I've had two kids and plan to stay here to raise em.

Winter is great if you come from a cold weather state. You won't see the sun for 9 months (I travel a lot to remind myself what sun is), but it never gets really cold (snow is rare - place shuts down when it snows), then it will get AWESOME for a week in Feb just to screw with your head. But the summer's are great. You won't see a cloud for 2-3 months after July 4th. Never gets real hot either - half the homes don't even have air conditioning around here.

Wheeling is just ok IMO - too many trails getting closed down by the "Earth First" vegan crowd. Seattle in particular is prety far left overall, and since I have three Jeeps (and a Corvette) instead of a hybrid, get my fair share of dirty looks. But when you do go to one of the remaining open trails, they are usually pretty awesome. Compared to the Midwest, there are some unreal vistas out here.

There are however, no pretty women, or if they are, they are buried under a metric ton of flannel. If you see a pretty girl, odds are she's up from Cali to visit the EMP! Eye candy-wise, South Carolina has this place beat by miles. Plus, that southern accent... Wait a minute - I think I just figured out why my wife liked the idea of us moving here instead of the SE!

In terms of making fun of you...well, you ARE from Kentucky, so isn't that an issue pretty much anywhere in the country.

In all seriousness, this is one of the nicest places in the country to live and raise a family, even with all it's quirks. But I will also say that I didn't realize until I had lived here for a while just how remote it really is out here. This really is a pretty remote part of the country. I felt "closer" in Oahu than I do out here - there is nothing near the NW, except Vancouver.
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud04X View Post
I moved here from Illinois and I can tell you even with the gas tax being more than IL its still 10-15 cents cheaper than Illinois. Oh yeah and no state income tax and buying a home is so much cheaper, WA residents don't know how good they have it.
Amen to that. I still go back to Chicago to visit family and for the life of me I can't figure out how I was able to live there for so long. The Midwest is a great place to be from...thankfully I actually "live" in a great place.

Still miss Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears and Sox games though. Seattle barely has any pro teams (yes, I even include the Seahawks in that statement!)
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post
I don't know how they look in KY so I can't really make a fair comparison to say for sure. I think there are, but they're usually married right out of high school, divorced with 3 kids, psycho, too high-maintenance or just man-hating femme-Nazis. It all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice and put up with. I think all the decent ones are hiding out in the rural areas.
KY girls = fat or uninterested...if you know what I mean...

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
GoldenP51
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in Pullman, WA...bout an hour and a half south of Spokane.

As for weather it snowed here two inches yesterday.

I'm moving to Arizona later in the year.
GoldenP51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The weather gets ****ed up in WA. Growing up in Spokane, there was ice strom 96 where the town was pretty much shut down for a week. Then another year it didn't snow for Christmas, I mean not even left over snow on the ground. When I was living in Spokane, I use to like the rain. Now that I live in Bellingham, I hate it.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.