Alcoholism - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Alcoholism

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Alcoholism its self isn't genetic, but some have a genetic predisposition to become alcoholics. If those who are predisposed to be alcoholics never drink then they won't become alcoholics, but if they start drinking some then they have a much higher chance to become an alcoholic as opposed to those who don't have the genetic predisposition.
My problem is, I don't believe in genetics of this sort as I have never seen or been presented solid proof this is possible.

To me they are over educated red member jacket wearers who impose their theory on the masses. Somehow, these theories are widely accepted.

One time, on the news, they had a story about how red meat was bad for you and could lead to heart disease and blah blah blah. I swear to you, the next week, there was a story about how red meat was good for you. True story.

vindicated is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
My problem is, I don't believe in genetics of this sort as I have never seen or been presented solid proof this is possible.

To me they are over educated red member jacket wearers who impose their theory on the masses. Somehow, these theories are widely accepted.

One time, on the news, they had a story about how red meat was bad for you and could lead to heart disease and blah blah blah. I swear to you, the next week, there was a story about how red meat was good for you. True story.
Well, let me clear my up, is not predisposed to become an alcoholic, you are just more easily addicted to chemical substances and harder for you to quit said substances.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Been on vacation since the 18th. Must have drank 90 cans of bud light so far. Problem or not?
Big problem, even if it was free beer, after the first one you should have bought something better. Holding a can of butlite, is the same as wearing a plaque that says " I suck at life"
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
bobjp

I don't know anything about alcoholism, but 90 cans in 4 days???? Yeah, I'd say that's a problem of some sort. You're on vacation and the only way you can figure out how to enjoy yourself is by having a buzz all day? Alcoholism or not, in my opinion, that is a problem.
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I don't know anything about alcoholism, but 90 cans in 4 days???? Yeah, I'd say that's a problem of some sort. You're on vacation and the only way you can figure out how to enjoy yourself is by having a buzz all day? Alcoholism or not, in my opinion, that is a problem.
That would be one and a half beers every hour of the day given you sleep 8 hours each day. That would be cracking one right when you wake up and finishing one off as you go to sleep.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
bobjp

Nevermind, I thought it was the OP that posted that.

I still think it's too much.
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Alcoholism its self isn't genetic, but some have a genetic predisposition to become alcoholics. If those who are predisposed to be alcoholics never drink then they won't become alcoholics, but if they start drinking some then they have a much higher chance to become an alcoholic as opposed to those who don't have the genetic predisposition.
You can be predisposed to having no will power and ****ty self-control?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You can be predisposed to having no will power and ****ty self-control?
if that's what you call being an addict, then yes.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #39
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guess its all in how you look at it. I have a spiced rum/coke mixed drink or two every other night before bed as a means to kind of wind down from the day. I never get passed a buzzed state or get rowdy. I just genuinely enjoy the flavor, the fact that it is an alcoholic beverage is almost completely irrelevant. Sometimes I opt for a couple glasses of milk before bed for the same effect.

If I dont have any rum, I dont worry about it. But if I do have I drink pretty regular. Not a lot at any given time, and not for some means of peer pressure (just when its me and the wife at home), I just enjoy it. Im not entirely sure if its a problem or what. Ive never been aggressive or anything less than laid back and humble. Honestly with the rare exception of a beer or two while wrenching I wont even drink any other type of alcohol. No desire to.

As to the OP, doesnt really sound like a problem to me, I have a couple family members who are textbook alcoholics and desire is irrelevant to them. There is no want, it is NEED. To them it is as much a requirement to live as oxygen. As mentioned previously an occassionally random craving is just as normal as a craving for a type of food.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #40
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Type A personality

Tend to overindulge in anything that brings "sensation"

The 90's were blurry as hell for me, but thank God, I had the ability to quit drinking...Still miss it, and not sure what keeps me from jumping right back in.

What are your other tendencies? do you overindulge in other life situations?

If not, feel free to have the booze and party on

If you find yourself face down in the gutter behind the whorehouse...Then yes, you have a problem!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #41
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think its genetic per say....I think its something that you grow up around and adapt to. I have a family member who is an undiagnosed alcoholic and his kids are not really affected by that.
I drink alot more than I use to, yet noone in my imediate family drinks at all.

I think if it does play a role in your genetics...its a very small role.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/aa990517.htm
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Nevermind, I thought it was the OP that posted that.

I still think it's too much.
Just had 2 big beers after work. Theres personal reasons but im not going into it here on JF . Some people on here can be a mutherfracker

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #44
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love beer have been drinking it since I was a toddler,yes thats right I had a doctors prescription for beer as a young baby I had trouble keeping food down and would projectile puke everywhere the chick from the exorcist had nothing on me,so the doc told my ma to give me a small glass of beer before I ate that the alcohol would calm the muscles in my stomach and the yeast would help fatten me up a bit well 43 years later I still love it and drink often,but none of my friends I have known for the past 20 years can remember me being stumble down drunk most can barely remember me heavily buzzed. I think if you grow up with it and know the consequences you will respect it more.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #45
1997_Sport

Is it bad that I read this and then went out and bought beer?

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.