Alcoholism - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
TedderX_
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 1,894
Alcoholism

Or however you spell it.

Is it/can it be genetic?

I'm a very light drinker (all in moderation I say). I will literally have a single shot or single beer with a nice steak supper or something similar. And, I maybe only do that a couple times a year.

Yet tonight on my way home I had a funny urge to have more alcohol once I got home.

I know my mother's side has a history of alcohol abuse.

I'm good now but it just got me to thinking is all.

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
DenimDean
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 52
Yes it is genetic, but it sounds to me like you aren't an alcoholic
DenimDean is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Hoobly_Goob
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Provo
Posts: 794
As far as I know, you can have a genetic propensity toward addiction and alcoholism, but what you're describing doesn't sound like that to me. It's more like the hereditary markers make it easier to become addicted to alcohol or other drugs, but it doesn't give you that drive out of nowhere.

"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline  
post #4 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Moto4x4
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Littleton
Posts: 1,137
From what I have witnessed, I agree that genetics can have an influence on your drinking habits but only to a minor extent.


But what your talking about is different I think. I get random urges to drink sometimes and I have no idea why, but none of my blood relatives are heavy drinkers.

I call her, Rubinon!
Moto4x4 is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
TedderX_
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 1,894
I guess the reason I ask is because this is the first time I've had an urge to have more alcohol.

Normally it's a "ahh what the hey, it's a fancy night get a fancy drink".

But tonight it was more of a "I would really like some more alcohol".

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Budke
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kingsland
Posts: 1,597
You aren't an 'alcoholic' by genetics, but you are genetically predisposed to become easily addicted to things. Alcohol is just more common because its readily available, rather cheap, legal, and getting drunk is more socially acceptable than smoking weed or doing a line of coke. If your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and so on have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse then chances are you can easily become addicted to something as well.



Learned all about this **** in some alcohol/drug abuse counseling I had to do since apparently a 20 year old(at the time) that likes to party on the weekend and get hammered makes me an alcoholic.

04 TJ- Short Bus. It's got some stuff.


Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
5-90
Registered User
 
5-90's Avatar
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
Or however you spell it.

Is it/can it be genetic?

I'm a very light drinker (all in moderation I say). I will literally have a single shot or single beer with a nice steak supper or something similar. And, I maybe only do that a couple times a year.

Yet tonight on my way home I had a funny urge to have more alcohol once I got home.

I know my mother's side has a history of alcohol abuse.

I'm good now but it just got me to thinking is all.
There is a genetic component to alcoholism (I think it pops up in most families. I've got a couple in mine that are suspect...)

However, the hallmark symptom is you have cravings for more booze once you have booze (or wine, or beer, or anything else that has EtOH in it.)

If you can have a drink with dinner and stop at just one, I seriously doubt you are an alcoholic.

When you noted your craving to drink, how did you feel physically/mentally? You may not have been craving "booze" so much as "anaesthetic," and you know you can get the desired result from booze fairly easily...

"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
TedderX_
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

There is a genetic component to alcoholism (I think it pops up in most families. I've got a couple in mine that are suspect...)

However, the hallmark symptom is you have cravings for more booze once you have booze (or wine, or beer, or anything else that has EtOH in it.)

If you can have a drink with dinner and stop at just one, I seriously doubt you are an alcoholic.

When you noted your craving to drink, how did you feel physically/mentally? You may not have been craving "booze" so much as "anaesthetic," and you know you can get the desired result from booze fairly easily...
Physically I was fine.

Mentally it consumed my thoughts for the entire twenty minute ride home; I didn't think of anything else. To the point I considered stopping on the way home to buy mixed drink ingredients after I had Googled how to make one called "old fashioned" that my brother had tonight(never heard of it, then again I don't drink that much). Once I got home, I got busy with other stuff so it went away.

Which, I never even do mix drinks. Not even simple coke/rum. It's just a single bottle beer or a single shot, no ice. So yea.

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 AM
5-90
Registered User
 
5-90's Avatar
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
Physically I was fine.

Mentally it consumed my thoughts for the entire twenty minute ride home; I didn't think of anything else. To the point I considered stopping on the way home to buy mixed drink ingredients after I had Googled how to make one called "old fashioned" that my brother had tonight(never heard of it, then again I don't drink that much). Once I got home, I got busy with other stuff so it went away.

Which, I never even do mix drinks. Not even simple coke/rum. It's just a single bottle beer or a single shot, no ice. So yea.
Ah, no. I was inquiring as to your state of mind & body just before the craving hit.

"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
TedderX_
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

Ah, no. I was inquiring as to your state of mind & body just before the craving hit.
Oh well hell I was just fine.

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 AM
5-90
Registered User
 
5-90's Avatar
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
Oh well hell I was just fine.
Interesting. So, no identifiable precipitating event/condition, then...

"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Monkeybomber
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Point Pleasant
Posts: 149
You're the farthest thing from an alcoholic, except for maybe a nun... (actually, do they drink the sacramental wine??) Alcoholics are people who pretty much can't function day to day without alcohol. It's not "I want a drink", it's "I need a drink, or I'm going to have a breakdown." You had a craving, just like sometimes you have a craving for McDonalds/BBQ/sex/ whateverthehellitis. That said, are you more likely to be predisposed as an alcoholic because of your family history? Absolutely. But I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you. The fact that you're questioning whether or not you're an alcoholic based off of the desire to have one drink makes me believe that you'd never start down that path.
Monkeybomber is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,423
An alcoholic is a person who has major problems caused by alcohol but continues to drink anyway.

As for genetics, ask any Native American if alcoholism is genetic. Something like 90% of Native Americans who drink alcohol on a regular basis at any time during their lives become alcoholic. Fortunately, Native Americans know this and many of them do not drink alcohol at all for that reason. I think that answers the question.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Dngrs1
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mohave Valley,AZ
Posts: 869
I'll drink to that!

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
Dngrs1 is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
RICEKILA
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Swindel-hurst
Posts: 701
Yes it is --

My Uncle / Aunt were alcoholics --

My father was a raging alcoholic --

One of my brothers drank himself to death --

I'll buy a 6 pack - and it lasts me 2 months - and that might be to much drinking ?

Have someone you "Can" trust - keep an eye on you ---

I was once a tree house.
I lived in a cake.
But I never saw the way - the orange slayed the rake --
RICEKILA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome