Alcoholism - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Alcoholism

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alcoholism

Or however you spell it.

Is it/can it be genetic?

I'm a very light drinker (all in moderation I say). I will literally have a single shot or single beer with a nice steak supper or something similar. And, I maybe only do that a couple times a year.

Yet tonight on my way home I had a funny urge to have more alcohol once I got home.

I know my mother's side has a history of alcohol abuse.

I'm good now but it just got me to thinking is all.

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
DenimDean
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it is genetic, but it sounds to me like you aren't an alcoholic
DenimDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As far as I know, you can have a genetic propensity toward addiction and alcoholism, but what you're describing doesn't sound like that to me. It's more like the hereditary markers make it easier to become addicted to alcohol or other drugs, but it doesn't give you that drive out of nowhere.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

From what I have witnessed, I agree that genetics can have an influence on your drinking habits but only to a minor extent.

But what your talking about is different I think. I get random urges to drink sometimes and I have no idea why, but none of my blood relatives are heavy drinkers.
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess the reason I ask is because this is the first time I've had an urge to have more alcohol.

Normally it's a "ahh what the hey, it's a fancy night get a fancy drink".

But tonight it was more of a "I would really like some more alcohol".

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You aren't an 'alcoholic' by genetics, but you are genetically predisposed to become easily addicted to things. Alcohol is just more common because its readily available, rather cheap, legal, and getting drunk is more socially acceptable than smoking weed or doing a line of coke. If your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and so on have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse then chances are you can easily become addicted to something as well.

Learned all about this **** in some alcohol/drug abuse counseling I had to do since apparently a 20 year old(at the time) that likes to party on the weekend and get hammered makes me an alcoholic.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
Or however you spell it.

Is it/can it be genetic?

I'm a very light drinker (all in moderation I say). I will literally have a single shot or single beer with a nice steak supper or something similar. And, I maybe only do that a couple times a year.

Yet tonight on my way home I had a funny urge to have more alcohol once I got home.

I know my mother's side has a history of alcohol abuse.

I'm good now but it just got me to thinking is all.
There is a genetic component to alcoholism (I think it pops up in most families. I've got a couple in mine that are suspect...)

However, the hallmark symptom is you have cravings for more booze once you have booze (or wine, or beer, or anything else that has EtOH in it.)

If you can have a drink with dinner and stop at just one, I seriously doubt you are an alcoholic.

When you noted your craving to drink, how did you feel physically/mentally? You may not have been craving "booze" so much as "anaesthetic," and you know you can get the desired result from booze fairly easily...
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

There is a genetic component to alcoholism (I think it pops up in most families. I've got a couple in mine that are suspect...)

However, the hallmark symptom is you have cravings for more booze once you have booze (or wine, or beer, or anything else that has EtOH in it.)

If you can have a drink with dinner and stop at just one, I seriously doubt you are an alcoholic.

When you noted your craving to drink, how did you feel physically/mentally? You may not have been craving "booze" so much as "anaesthetic," and you know you can get the desired result from booze fairly easily...
Physically I was fine.

Mentally it consumed my thoughts for the entire twenty minute ride home; I didn't think of anything else. To the point I considered stopping on the way home to buy mixed drink ingredients after I had Googled how to make one called "old fashioned" that my brother had tonight(never heard of it, then again I don't drink that much). Once I got home, I got busy with other stuff so it went away.

Which, I never even do mix drinks. Not even simple coke/rum. It's just a single bottle beer or a single shot, no ice. So yea.

Quote:
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Physically I was fine.

Mentally it consumed my thoughts for the entire twenty minute ride home; I didn't think of anything else. To the point I considered stopping on the way home to buy mixed drink ingredients after I had Googled how to make one called "old fashioned" that my brother had tonight(never heard of it, then again I don't drink that much). Once I got home, I got busy with other stuff so it went away.

Which, I never even do mix drinks. Not even simple coke/rum. It's just a single bottle beer or a single shot, no ice. So yea.
Ah, no. I was inquiring as to your state of mind & body just before the craving hit.
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

Ah, no. I was inquiring as to your state of mind & body just before the craving hit.
Oh well hell I was just fine.

Quote:
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh well hell I was just fine.
Interesting. So, no identifiable precipitating event/condition, then...
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

You're the farthest thing from an alcoholic, except for maybe a nun... (actually, do they drink the sacramental wine??) Alcoholics are people who pretty much can't function day to day without alcohol. It's not "I want a drink", it's "I need a drink, or I'm going to have a breakdown." You had a craving, just like sometimes you have a craving for McDonalds/BBQ/sex/ whateverthehellitis. That said, are you more likely to be predisposed as an alcoholic because of your family history? Absolutely. But I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you. The fact that you're questioning whether or not you're an alcoholic based off of the desire to have one drink makes me believe that you'd never start down that path.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

An alcoholic is a person who has major problems caused by alcohol but continues to drink anyway.

As for genetics, ask any Native American if alcoholism is genetic. Something like 90% of Native Americans who drink alcohol on a regular basis at any time during their lives become alcoholic. Fortunately, Native Americans know this and many of them do not drink alcohol at all for that reason. I think that answers the question.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I'll drink to that!
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is --

My Uncle / Aunt were alcoholics --

My father was a raging alcoholic --

One of my brothers drank himself to death --

I'll buy a 6 pack - and it lasts me 2 months - and that might be to much drinking ?

Have someone you "Can" trust - keep an eye on you ---
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.