Advice on Volkswagen - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Advice on Volkswagen

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
jccJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Advice on Volkswagen

Im really close to buying a '99 VW Golf. Its the 5sp GTI. Anybody own VW or know anything about these cars?

The guy is in my company and is just trying to get rid of it to put a down payment on a Harley. He wanted $2500 but says he'll take 2 for it cause he's buying the bike in the next 2 weeks. Its got 130k miles and the check engine light is on for the 02 sensor he says. Its in good shape from what I can tell and drove well.

What do you guys think? Any problems I should worry about?

Unread 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
TSGR
2000 WJ 

Make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. Should have been done around 80 or 90k.
TSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
ezk83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Run. I have to work on mh little sisters 01 bug. With the 2.0 all the time. Its always something. And her o2 sensors are going out alot not sure what the issue is with it.
ezk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Douglas S.

They're fine. People on here don't seem to have ever heard of maintenance.

It has a 1.8t? If so that's a good motor. Can be built for a lot of power if that's what you're after too.
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
JDePietro
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you think Jeeps are costly little buggers think again...

1. That "check engine light" is going to be a re-occurring nightmare for the life of the vehicle. Think I'm kidding do a search on VW electronics or better yet and spend some time on a VW forum some people actually put a CEL sticker on their back windows cause its so common and laughing at it is the only way to cope.

2. Timing belts are only good for 50,000 miles anything past that is borrowed time. The stealership may say they are good for 100,000 but not many make it that far. When they go its game over. After market? Don't you dare...

3. Parts and labor are at a premium. Ain't nothing cheap for these buggers and if you try to go cheap you pay over and over again.

GF had a VW Jetta for 2 years. 30,000 to 70,000 were awesome (bought it used). 70,000 to 103,050 cost us $3,000. Most of the cost was a bad catalytic converter. Her cat went bad and I thought gee I can put one of those on in a jiffy! Bought an after market cat for $250. CEL wouldn't clear and after 1,000 miles the engine started bucking and stalling. The aftermarket cat fell apart and the valve timing was off enough (variable valve timing) to suck some of the cat up in the motor. Destroyed!!! O2 sensors, Cam position sensors, windows, exhaust, shocks, engine, (mostly my fault I guess), you name it that damn car broke it. Everything is a pain to get to and the cost of parts did I mention the cost of the parts.

Just my advice the Golf's are a litter better made in Germany not mexico (jetta) but after 100,000 miles they just cost so much for maintenance I don't think its worth it.
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
They're fine. People on here don't seem to have ever heard of maintenance.

It has a 1.8t? If so that's a good motor. Can be built for a lot of power if that's what you're after too.
x2. They're great cars if you maintain them. The timing belt and water pump are the most common problems. If it needs a timing belt, then do the water pump at the same time.
Hurley91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
jccJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow you've got me nervous now
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
1. That "check engine light" is going to be a re-occurring nightmare for the life of the vehicle. Think I'm kidding do a search on VW electronics or better yet and spend some time on a VW forum some people actually put a CEL sticker on their back windows cause its so common and laughing at it is the only way to cope.

That is so true...............

I bet for every 10 VW's I see come through the shop 9 of them have the check engine light on.
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

had a mkv gti before the jeep. pretty solid and nice to drive, but that cam follower maintenance....

different engine, but just sayin...
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That is so true...............

I bet for every 10 VW's I see come through the shop 9 of them have the check engine light on.
x2 RUN AWAY. My sister had a Jetta for a year, and my neighbor had a GTI. The Check Engine light stayed off on the Jetta for a total of 2 days. Those year VW's are electrical nightmares. There's something to be said when the local shops won't touch them, or when one shop guy says "I wouldn't drive one even if it was free." You would be better off spending your money on something else. I know so many people who have owned them (including car maintenance freaks) who will never own one again. I'll admit they are nice looking cars, and not all of them are bad, but the risk is too high.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

My experience of german vehicles that are out of warranty is RUN and donīt look back.
They are just to complicated, one time they used to make good vehicles but that time is long gone now.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
BardsLack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccJeep View Post
Im really close to buying a '99 VW Golf. Its the 5sp GTI. Anybody own VW or know anything about these cars?

The guy is in my company and is just trying to get rid of it to put a down payment on a Harley. He wanted $2500 but says he'll take 2 for it cause he's buying the bike in the next 2 weeks. Its got 130k miles and the check engine light is on for the 02 sensor he says. Its in good shape from what I can tell and drove well.

What do you guys think? Any problems I should worry about?
Used to own a GTI. Parts are expensive and the vehicle is hard to work on at home. It's really tight under the hood. Just bare that in mind before purchasing. Also, make sure that the code is really for the O2 sensor.....sometimes it reads.
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tough to maintain (tight clearances to get to things) and expensive parts and labor if you take it to a shop. My daughter had a 99 Cabrio which was a gem when we got it at 80k, but by the time it got to 110k everything seemed to fail. Electrical gremlins (and every time you re-connect the battery the horn goes off while you are under the hood!) plagued that car. The "lifetime" 4sp auto transmission finally gave out at about 140k and we sold it to a junkyard.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
KHoff90

Don't do it.

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I consider Volkswagens to be lease-only vehicles. Great cars for 2 years, then run away as fast as you can.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.