Advice on a $1700 Chevy Door...Advice and Options Please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Advice on a $1700 Chevy Door...Advice and Options Please...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Advice on a $1700 Chevy Door...Advice and Options Please...

My dad drives a very large Chevy van for work. It does have rear windows, but there is a "cage" in the back to secure parts, tools, etc so you cannot see out the back. A few days ago he is at a job site on a closed road. He is there with one other truck, where he was parked the other truck was blocked in. The other truck needed to move so my dad goes to back up his van and bumps into an open car door from a car that had just pulled up. No damage to the car, but it dented his rear door and busted out the glass.

So, my dad tells his boss (taking full responsiblity) who has him take it to the Chevy dealership for a quote to repair the door. They say it is unrepairable and a new door with glass is $1700. My dad tells his boss the repair quote, and immediately says he will gladly cover the insurance deductable given that this was his fault. His boss refused to run it through the insurance and tells my dad that he will pay the $1700 out of pocket or he can find a new job.

Now I can tell you that his boss has been a total ******r the entire time he has been employed for this company which is around 10 years. My dad is a very hard worker, and is definately the best technician at this company.

Is his only option to pay the full $1700?

Does the employer have an obligation to run this through the company insurance?

He was going to run it through his personal insurance. But I assume they will just go straight for the company insurance. Would this be that case?

Does he have any recourse in the matter?

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

Shoot, if he is the best technician they have I'm sure they'll miss him. If it were me I'd be looking for another job, one that doesn't treat me like an ***.
apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is why a cop should be called to any accident so a legitimate report can be made. I have twice been in this situation. Legally the employer has to have insurance to cover damages. I would suggest your dad does NOT pay for this himself OR try to run it through his own insurance.

Further more if the boss is already an ***, he will hold this over your dads head for the rest of the time your dad works for him. SO hes probably better off to go job hunting anyway...

In fact maybe your dad should contact an attorney, this almost sounds like blackmail or something similar. Your dad could go from best tech to owner of the company.
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Your dad should tell the boss that he now has a stiff neck and may need workers comp. Bet his boss will shut up and use his auto. insurance!!!!!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv View Post
Your dad should tell the boss that he now has a stiff neck and may need workers comp. Bet his boss will shut up and use his auto. insurance!!!!!

Chris
This

I would also find a new job.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.