Abc7 news san francisco death wobble story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Abc7 news san francisco death wobble story

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
tvkeninsf

Abc7 news san francisco death wobble story

Thought you might be interested in this story by ABC station in San Francisco about the "Death Wobble" :

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...eam&id=8547340

tvkeninsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"In other news, reliable sources say anyone with half a brain and a torque wrench that buys quality parts should be fine. At the time of this news report there has currently been no regrettable loss of life."
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

What a bunch of morons
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
"In other news, reliable sources say anyone with half a brain and a torque wrench that buys quality parts should be fine. At the time of this news report there has currently been no regrettable loss of life."
Maybe they should have interviewed MrBlaine...would have made for a more interesting story.

I was standing outside the shop in Scotts Valley waiting for a couple parts when the camera guy from ABC was interviewing him... he gets me dealer stuff since we don't have a local dealer.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm suspicious of the intent of this post. The OP just joined today, has no other posts, and lists the same city as the tv station making this report.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
flyinion
2012 JK Wrangler 

From the story "it goes away when you slow down". Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm new to Jeeps and solid front axle vehicles, but I've read on an extensive DW thread in another forum that it's only actually DW if you have to completely stop the vehicle, otherwise it's just a shimmy caused by any number of things? They were saying DW is a harmonic vibration that doesn't stop until the vehicle does.
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
WillyB
Too much downtime

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I'm suspicious of the intent of this post. The OP just joined today, has no other posts, and lists the same city as the tv station making this report.
I'd say the intent of the OP is stated at the end of the video: chime in with your opinions! We all own and drive Jeep vehicles here, and that's who the station would like to hear from. So, let 'em have it guys!

"Go Ordnance!"
Paratrooper (20-Jump Chump)
Veteran (OEF 3, OIF 3, OND)
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I'd say the intent of the OP is stated at the end of the video: chime in with your opinions! We all own and drive Jeep vehicles here, and that's who the station would like to hear from. So, let 'em have it guys!
That's what I was getting at. If the OP is a representative of the TV station, it should be noted as such.
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
WillyB
Too much downtime

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I was getting at. If the OP is a representative of the TV station, it should be noted as such.
Indeed! I'm sure that somewhere in the terms and conditions of this website that is addressed. However, I would like to think that someone in that industry would have the courtesy and fortitude to approach this in the most appropriate manner.

"Go Ordnance!"
Paratrooper (20-Jump Chump)
Veteran (OEF 3, OIF 3, OND)
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And you missed the most obvious clue: his user name. tv ken in sf.

It must be a slow day in the Newsroom....
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
And you missed the most obvious clue: his user name. tv ken in sf.

It must be a slow day in the Newsroom....
Nicely done. I looked at the username for a minute, but didn't make that connection.
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Quote:
Look at the name...Ken ....TV
well Ken. It is "braking" not "breaking".
DW affects any solid axle coil sprung vehicle and even some independent front ends. The harmonic oscillation can be caused by any component in the front suspension and even the tires. Many of us drive lifted Jeeps which drastically increases the likelihood of dw occurring due to the increased angles across the suspension. Most times it is solved by a new or upgraded trackbar. The problem is the other components it destroys in short order. A vehicle(especially a Jeep) is not some magical machine that doesn't require routine maintenance and some sense of how its acting. Pay attention when you're driving and you can feel a shimmy long before dw occurs. THAT should be your que to look for something wrong. There's no sense of responsibility in anybody anymore. Everyone wants to point a finger at someone else. Why don't you do a worthwhile story like the Ford truck sparkplugs that you normally spend 2k$ to change. That article made you sound ignorant and you should do more research before putting something out to the public(typical media mo). Its probably not smart to come to a large forum of Jeep lovers while publicly trashing Jeeps on something you are uneducated on.
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
IDRIS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can we say "Death Wobble" one more time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvkeninsf View Post
Thought you might be interested in this story by ABC station in San Francisco about the "Death Wobble" :

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...eam&id=8547340
Hi TV Ken in SF, nice to have you on here. Unfortunately, you posted this thread in completely the wrong area of this site. I encourage a Moderator to please relocate it. (Thanks, guys!)

I watched the news article. Nicely done, and a good length - too often news articles are such a cursory feature that presenters just rattle through them before one can even blink.

While the use of the term "Death Wobble" might be alarming (one might even say 'sensational') to some viewers and unfairly prejudice them against Jeep products, I think it is fair considering that many Jeepers do also use the tongue-in-cheek expression.

Someone above used the term "Harmonic vibration", which is pretty close, but the correct term is actually that this is due to the incidence of a "Resonant frequency" being established in the system formed by the solid front axle, the steering linkages, the suspension, and the various dampers that are interspersed throughout the system to reduce such problems as you describe.

I have driven Jeeps for years without ever encountering this problem, but your article appears to imply that this condition is endemic and widely-experienced. It is most certainly not.

I know that TV news media make money from hype, and I don't blame them. If there's cash on the table, anyone would be a fool to leave it there. To make money from sensationalist defamation is, however, another matter. In SF, I'm sure the auto industry seems provincial and rather grubby, but here in the rust belt we give a damn what we build! I teach welders, auto mechanics, diesel technicians, drafters, programmers, electronic techs, computer techs, and I'll THANK YOU not to defame their employers throughout the state of Ohio, whether they be in Toledo building Jeep Wranglers, in Marysville building Hondas, or a hundred other places manufacturing parts for those and many other supply chains around this country and the world.

Now, go do whatever it is you do in SF and stop pestering people who work for a living.
IDRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

ABC Ken's Twitter Page...

https://twitter.com/#!/kenmiguel

At least we know who we are talking too...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
IDRIS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice lake!

If that gentleman would just kindly step aside, I'd have a better view of it.

Thanks, pal!
IDRIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death wobble , shaking , vibrate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.