9mm or 12 Gage - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > 9mm or 12 Gage

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #91
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post

OPs question was asked/answered. IMO it's great that the thread is drifting into other info now. Learning is occurring
:
Right lol, I'm just sitting back and reading now :-)

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #92
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I've always thought the Dardick .38 was a great home defense pistol. I'm dissapointed it didn't catch on.
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #93
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I've always thought the Dardick .38 was a great home defense pistol. I'm dissapointed it didn't catch on.
Only three rounds.

The .38 and .357 are overlooked though. The .357 may be the best self defense round. People like semi and there isn't much when it comes for semi's in these calibers. I suppose it has to do with the assortment of bullet configurations.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #94
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Only three rounds.
Dardick 1100/1500 held 10+1.

Dardick 2000 held 20+1.
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #95
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You are talking about a trained team clearing a room. This is very different than a home owner reacting to a bump or thump in the night. The two are not comparable.
It's obviously not the same thing - I thought members here could read past that and acknowledge that gear choices and tactics can be transferable. Teams like that are pros at clearing structures. There's a reason they don't choose the SG. Those reasons are transferable to home defense.

Whether a team dynamic entry or a one man clear, you want:
-a short, easily maneuverable weapon
-a bright weaponlight
-the ability to aim in the dark (red dot sight, tritium front sight, etc)
-a magazine-fed weapon with more than 'enough' capacity
-(this is an obvious one) the training and proficiency to be able to move down a hall or into a room with said weapon.

Am I going to be in full kit using hand signals and clearing a T-intersection with my wife? Uh no. Obviously. But the gear and tactics used in CQB can be applied to defending your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Right lol, I'm just sitting back and reading now :-)
Both agreement and disagreement brings about great discussion on topics like these.
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #96
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's obviously not the same thing - I thought members here could read past that and acknowledge that gear choices and tactics can be transferable. Teams like that are pros at clearing structures. There's a reason they don't choose the SG. Those reasons are transferable to home defense.

Whether a team dynamic entry or a one man clear, you want:
-a short, easily maneuverable weapon
-a bright weaponlight
-the ability to aim in the dark (red dot sight, tritium front sight, etc)
-a magazine-fed weapon with more than 'enough' capacity
-(this is an obvious one) the training and proficiency to be able to move down a hall or into a room with said weapon.

Am I going to be in full kit using hand signals and clearing a T-intersection with my wife? Uh no. Obviously. But the gear and tactics used in CQB can be applied to defending your home.

Both agreement and disagreement brings about great discussion on topics like these.
My brother was a boarding officer in the CG, he carried a shotgun. This was a while back. I am sure you could find advocates of using a shotgun when clearing a room.

But I will say the organizing as s a team versus working as an individual is different. I am not trying to promote the use of the shotgun, I am just saying you can't compare a trained team, their weapons and tactics to some guy checking out a noise in his house. It is one person versus a team, not the same.

I have mixed onions on lights. I like one that is independent of my weapon. I also keep some lights on in my home and have a video monitoring system.

Unread 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #97
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have mixed opinions on lights. I like one that is independent of my weapon. I also keep some lights on in my home and have a video monitoring system.
One eye IR, one eye thermal, one eye normal. Now you're ready for anything.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #98
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My brother was a boarding officer in the CG, he carried a shotgun. This was a while back. I am sure you could find advocates of using a shotgun when clearing a room.

But I will say the organizing as s a team versus working as an individual is different. I am not trying to promote the use of the shotgun, I am just saying you can't compare a trained team, their weapons and tactics to some guy checking out a noise in his house. It is one person versus a team, not the same.

I have mixed onions on lights. I like one that is independent of my weapon. I also keep some lights on in my home and have a video monitoring system.
Definitely. Most patrol officers I know like shotguns. But the only training they've had is at the academy. When I've asked more dialed in cops/armorers about the lack of rifles in cruisers it's because 'they didn't fit in the rack' or 'I wish - but that's not in the budget'. Still most all stick to a pistol, and those that are allowed, grab a rifle from their trunk if need-be.

We'll just disagree on that then . You're getting hung up on one detail (team vs solo). My point was that the majority of the guys that do it for a living choose rifle and pistol. And the skills with those weapons, and support gear (like lights), can be transferred to home defense. And I'm far from the only one that believes that. Hell, I've seen Rangers teaching IT guys and engineers how to navigate a structure. Obviously two completely different goals (direct action vs defense) but you know what...the instructors/AIs and the students were using the same gear.

I prefer 2-handed control on a weapon so I like mine mounted. Both in terms of shooting and retaining the weapon in a hands-on situation. It is also nice to have the flexibility to have a free hand for things like door knobs. Or drag a 'frozen' kid to safety.

The only downside I've heard to a weapon-mounted light is that you have to flag a subject to ID them. Kind of true, but with the proper light, the spill will illuminate very well when in a low ready position.
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #99
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Definitely. Most patrol officers I know like shotguns. But the only training they've had is at the academy. When I've asked more dialed in cops/armorers about the lack of rifles in cruisers it's because 'they didn't fit in the rack' or 'I wish - but that's not in the budget'. Still most all stick to a pistol, and those that are allowed, grab a rifle from their trunk if need-be.

We'll just disagree on that then . You're getting hung up on one detail (team vs solo). My point was that the majority of the guys that do it for a living choose rifle and pistol. And the skills with those weapons, and support gear (like lights), can be transferred to home defense. And I'm far from the only one that believes that. Hell, I've seen Rangers teaching IT guys and engineers how to navigate a structure. Obviously two completely different goals (direct action vs defense) but you know what...the instructors/AIs and the students were using the same gear.

I prefer 2-handed control on a weapon so I like mine mounted. Both in terms of shooting and retaining the weapon in a hands-on situation. It is also nice to have the flexibility to have a free hand for things like door knobs. Or drag a 'frozen' kid to safety.

The only downside I've heard to a weapon-mounted light is that you have to flag a subject to ID them. Kind of true, but with the proper light, the spill will illuminate very well when in a low ready position.

Again, I am not an advocate of shotguns, rifle or carbine for home security. I can see having a shot gun loaded with 00 at the door as the bad guy comes in but that is about it. Mine is a semi and shoots fast. But I only use it for clay pigeons and I suck at it. I like my 1911. I understand that having experience working on a team is beneficial but the average guy will never have that.

I can shoot effectively with light in one hand pressed into my shooting hand. The door knob is a legit issue. I like being able to bounce a light off the wall and have my weapon pointed in a different direction, just a personal choice.

I live in the country and have a poll light on each side of my home. Unless the electricity is completely out my home is never that dark where I can see my way around. I also keep light on in the house. My thoughts are bad guys are like coach roaches and avoid the lights. I have dogs that are good at giving me some sort of warning.

Unread 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #100
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
. I have dogs that are good at giving me some sort of warning.
This is a great little point on home defense. I am not saying all criminals wll avoid a dog all the time, but having a good dog works wonders. I would bet that a lot more criminals have bypassed houses because an alert dog in the last year than have run out of a house because the shucking of a pump shotgun in all of time.

It doesn't even have to be a big mean guard dog. My one and only potential break-in was thwarted by my wife's little yorkie and he was not even one to bark. He just got all nervous and ran in circles by the door when anyone was outside.

One night at 3AM I was not able to sleep and was sitting at my computer. I could hear the dog skittering around on the tile by the front door. I stuffed my wife's Glock 26 in my front pocket and went out the back door, walking around the house to the front. As I came around the front corner I was 25 feet away from a guy walking straight at me across my driveway. It was 90+ degrees out and he was wearing a hoodie with the hood over his head. Suspicious?

My heart hit my throat and my hand went to the pistol. This is when he saw me. I had instinctively gone into an shooting stance with my offhand on my stomach like they train you so you don't shoot your off hand during a draw. Until that night I did not even know that was ingrained.

He startled, made a 90 degree turn, and hauled it out of there. The pistol never cleared my pocket. The stance was enough.

The dog may have saved me from having to shoot him if he had actually entered the house. I credit that that dog greatly for that, but now I have one that actually barks.
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #101
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great point about the dog. They are a great layer of security
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #102
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great point about the dog. They are a great layer of security
Just make sure they are trained well some of my friends dogs will help you steal the TV
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #103
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
Just make sure they are trained well some of my friends dogs will help you steal the TV
I had a little shi t zu that was a great alarm dog and a 120lb lab that was worthless in that respect. I have three dogs. Their personalities are all different when it comes to this. Some dogs are better alarm dogs than others.

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #104
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes97 View Post
This is a great little point on home defense. I am not saying all criminals wll avoid a dog all the time, but having a good dog works wonders. I would bet that a lot more criminals have bypassed houses because an alert dog in the last year than have run out of a house because the shucking of a pump shotgun in all of time.

It doesn't even have to be a big mean guard dog. My one and only potential break-in was thwarted by my wife's little yorkie and he was not even one to bark. He just got all nervous and ran in circles by the door when anyone was outside.

One night at 3AM I was not able to sleep and was sitting at my computer. I could hear the dog skittering around on the tile by the front door. I stuffed my wife's Glock 26 in my front pocket and went out the back door, walking around the house to the front. As I came around the front corner I was 25 feet away from a guy walking straight at me across my driveway. It was 90+ degrees out and he was wearing a hoodie with the hood over his head. Suspicious?

My heart hit my throat and my hand went to the pistol. This is when he saw me. I had instinctively gone into an shooting stance with my offhand on my stomach like they train you so you don't shoot your off hand during a draw. Until that night I did not even know that was ingrained.

He startled, made a 90 degree turn, and hauled it out of there. The pistol never cleared my pocket. The stance was enough.

The dog may have saved me from having to shoot him if he had actually entered the house. I credit that that dog greatly for that, but now I have one that actually barks.
99.999999999% of bad guys have 1 thing in common. They dont want to be seen. You don't need a pistol, stance doesnt matter, just being seen is all it takes. Burglars arent afraid of being bitten, theyre afraid the dog will make noise. The same people that the magic sound works on generally will have the same response to a 'howdy' in the darkness.

Even specific phrasing works. When a man decides to stand up to a half dozen obviously armed people, you can rack a round as many times as you want with no affect. But in that situation 1 specific phrase works wonders. "**** it, kill him". It has been 100% effective in dropping a bg to the ground ime.

Working the streets/house by yourself, pistol. Its the most versatile. With a 2nd you go pistol and maybe long gun. 3+ you always want a long gun unless the situation makes it a bad idea. A single well placed bullet from a low recoiling rifle is preferable imo.

From a defensive position (hiding in the bedroom waiting for bg to open door) shotgun works as long as you have extra ammo with you. At typical in house ranges a shotgun is no easier to hit with than a 30-30. Spread only works at longer ranges and the length almost always puts you at a dissadvantage while hunting indoors. And unless youre properly equipped for retention and trained for the same its relatively easy to lose it.

For me,my shotguns are in a secure place with the rest of my collection. My as short as legally possible ar has gone from being in the squads trunk to being scoped and converted to a coyote rifle. But a pistol is never far from me

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #105
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
99.999999999% of bad guys have 1 thing in common. They dont want to be seen. You don't need a pistol, stance doesnt matter, just being seen is all it takes. Burglars arent afraid of being bitten, theyre afraid the dog will make noise. The same people that the magic sound works on generally will have the same response to a 'howdy' in the darkness.

Even specific phrasing works. When a man decides to stand up to a half dozen obviously armed people, you can rack a round as many times as you want with no affect. But in that situation 1 specific phrase works wonders. "**** it, kill him". It has been 100% effective in dropping a bg to the ground ime.

Working the streets/house by yourself, pistol. Its the most versatile. With a 2nd you go pistol and maybe long gun. 3+ you always want a long gun unless the situation makes it a bad idea. A single well placed bullet from a low recoiling rifle is preferable imo.

From a defensive position (hiding in the bedroom waiting for bg to open door) shotgun works as long as you have extra ammo with you. At typical in house ranges a shotgun is no easier to hit with than a 30-30. Spread only works at longer ranges and the length almost always puts you at a dissadvantage while hunting indoors. And unless youre properly equipped for retention and trained for the same its relatively easy to lose it.

For me,my shotguns are in a secure place with the rest of my collection. My as short as legally possible ar has gone from being in the squads trunk to being scoped and converted to a coyote rifle. But a pistol is never far from me
This is why even keeping light on in the home and have the exterior light can be a benefit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.